What's new

HD Digital Decoders (1 Viewer)

Michael De Costa

Stunt Coordinator
I recently purchased the Toshiba 56H80 and am now searching for a digital decoder. I didn't know if I should just purchase the Toshiba DST3000 or look at other possibilities such as the Panasonic TUHDS20. Can provide any information on them as well as if they know when the 2nd generation will be available? Thanks in advance.

teague

Auditioning
Both of those are really second generation tuners. If you want to use Dish Network with OTA HD STB, then you need the Dish 6000 with OTA module. If you want DirectTV and OTA HD, then Toshiba, RCA, Panasonic, Sony and Mitsubishi will work. Some like the Sony HD100 for the integrated menu system out of that bunch. If you don't need any Satellite system, like me, then the Samsung SIR-T150 might be a choice. The RCA DTC-100 is the cheapest, but a first generation tuner. The Samsung T150 is a second generation tuner, and probably the next cheapest. The others are all higher priced, but do include Sat service.
Chris

Faz Azad

Auditioning
I am also thinking of getting the Toshiba, the 50H81 actually. I am moving to Rockville, MD and unfortunately will be living in a Eastern facing condo- no satellite :-(
But I've been to titantv.com and it says that I am within range to receive HDTV OTA transmissions. So, since I won't be using satellite and will only be using cable, what type of decoder should I get? Any idea on costs? I figure with an antenna and decoder, I can get a couple HDTV channels (at least when they broadcast in HDTV). Thanks everyone!

Nathan_H

Second Unit
Note that the RCA unit mentioned above does not have component output -- so you'd need to buy an 15pin to component converter (cheapest I've seen is about $80), while the Samsung has the compenent output AND can be found for about $100 more than the RCA unit.
------------------

Bob Jackson

Stunt Coordinator
How easten facing? The E* III satellite at 61.5 is quite a bit east of the East Coast. That satellite carries HD-HBO, HD-SHO, HD-PPV, and HD- PPV.
A Dish 6000 would be needed to pick it up. It also offers OTA capabilities with the OTA module.
http://www.dbsforums.com/azel.html for pointing directions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks