What's new

HD CVI and CVI?????? on Philps tv (1 Viewer)

Corey-Reid

Stunt Coordinator
I have a question that I can not seem to answer myself.

I have recently purchased a Philips 30pw9100D HD tv.

I originally had my dvd player hoked up into the component inputs. When I switched my dvd player over to progressive scan, it would not work on these inputs. I couldnt figure it out for a short time and it didnt really explain anywhere in the manual what to do, even though it said the TV was progressive scan. i then hooked up the DVD players component outputs into the Tv's HD CVI inputs, which are located in the same area as the HDNI input. These seem to be the exact same as normal component inputs, but the DVD player now worked in progressive scan, and the picture semed much better to me.

I am now waiting for the H10 HD direct tv receiver and am unsure of where to hook it up at. The H10 has HDMI output, but I have read about some problems and was thinking of using the component outs instead.

Can someone explain to me what the difference between these two inpuits are?

Thank you in advance, the owners manual doesnt even mention the component inputs that conicide to the HD CVI input on the screen.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
"HD CVI" do you mean DVI?

Component video usually refers to YPbPr analog 3-wire component video.

DVI and HDMI are very similar, HDMI is backward compatible with DVI and is digitally transmitted video.

All of these are capable of transmitting full HD video. Which is best for your particular application may vary.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Some TV's have separate sets of red, green, and blue component video jacks for interlaced video versus progressive video versus HDTV. Yours apparently has one set of jacks for interlaced only and the other for 480p or 1080i with autoselection.

For the most part, I am not sure of the exceptions, DVI to or from one device and HDMI from or to another device can be connected using a cable adapter. One thing I do know, audio on an HDMI connection will be ignored by a DVI device.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Corey-Reid

Stunt Coordinator
Allan,

Thank you, that explanation of one set for interlaced and the other progressive makes perfect sense.

Thanks again, corey

Users who are viewing this thread