What's new

HD cable has ruined me (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hello JeremyFr

Thanks for your input on cable. I however have never to this day seen an impressive cable picture. Just as the coax cable for the fist pc networks had limitations so I believe cable tv does. Am interested in where you get the info that cable is barely useing its bandwith limit? I live in Whittier, California and the cable company is a joke here! Charter Communications and the previous cable provider both do a poor job. I have gotten better picture quality with my dish network set up that any cable set up I have seen to date. My brother had digital cable for awhile and my neighbor has digital cable. Even HBO is substandard on there cable. Charter Comunications delivers sub par service and quality and charges way too much. If cable has so much band with why has it taken so long for them to jump on the HD bandwagon? Especially since cable is in such compitition with dish? I really do not mean this to be an arugment, these are just questions I have for you. You may be getting good cable but the majority of picture quality have have seen is not so great. Alot of the regurlar channels are grainy as well so I doubt I will ever let cable rip me again. Not to mention when it rains, the cable goes out from time to time.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Yes- cable is notoriously bad for analog broadcasts, and mine is no exception.

QAM has changed everything. While Comcast invested in rewiring my town for fiber "to the curb" that doesn't change the fact the wiring in my building is 20+yrs old, and they won't touch that. So, my analog picture is quite bad- almost unwatchable.

Strangely enough my newly installed HD cable offers even better reception on my Motorola 5100 box than even the straight digital channels. So while Analog and Cablemodem can be spotty at times (Cablemodem is QAM too, but frequency is different for all), HD is better than I expected- almost perfect, with occasional dropouts which everyone is experiencing. This is just the opposite of OTA HD reception, where HD is a "hit or miss" affair and analog is almost always good.

So I'm very happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks