What's new

HBO's Game of Thrones (1 Viewer)

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Aragorn the Elfstone

[url=http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/04/19/game-of-thrones-renewed/]http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/04/19/game-of-thrones-renewed/

Yes!!!

Good news, indeed. My only hope is that the production of this series doesn't end up as an excuse for Martin being slow while writing the next book.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Jim_C

Good news, indeed. My only hope is that the production of this series doesn't end up as an excuse for Martin being slow while writing the next book.

If anything, it's the opposite.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I wonder if they'll try to tackle the entire "Clash of Kings" book in season 2? I think they'd have to go longer than 10 episodes to do so.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jim_C

Plus, didn't HBO put The Sopranos on a long hiatus?

I think the long hiatuses between seasons of The Sopranos were probably the result of David Chase being able to use his success to get more time to make the show. No one on Game Of Thrones is in that position.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by TravisR

I think the long hiatuses between seasons of The Sopranos were probably the result of David Chase being able to use his success to get more time to make the show. No one on Game Of Thrones is in that position.

Please Sopranos was being written as originals. Since Game of Thrones is an adaptation, that is unlikely to happen. More likely is that with renewals they would consider turning a season into say, 1/2 a book or something.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ There's lots of original shows on TV and nearly all of them don't need 18 months to produce 12 episodes. The show was on every year for its first three seasons and as awards and praise built up, the show started taking more than a year off between seasons. I can't think of any other reason than David Chase saying "I need more time" for why HBO would just let their flagship show sit on the bench for 18 months at a time. I'm not knocking it because the results speak for themselves but, like I said, I can't think of any other reason why The Sopranos had huge breaks.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
For those who are interested, HBO has a *really* well-made and informative viewer's guide located at http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/#!/guide/houses/

(the link goes to the family tree exploration, but the map is easily found at the link).

It allows you to explore each family tree, look at the map (with info on the key locations), and learn about past events. For those unfamiliar with the books, I have checked everything out, and there doesn't appear to be a single spoiler, so you are safe in that regard.

I thought it was really fun and cool, even though I'm intimately familiar with the books.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I looked at that map before viewing the first episode and plan to continue to use it over time. It's quite helpful.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by mattCR

Holy cow is this an effort to remain accurate to the books. The dialog is nearly verbatim.

Hmm, I have to slightly disagree. It's close, but I would say that only about half of this episode was verbatim. The entire scene with Cat and Jon was different; the *entire* arc with Dany and Drogo is changed; The whole scene with Ser Payne and the Hound and Sansa was different (dialogue included); and most noticeably, there was a new scene with Cersei and Cat.

However, I happen to like virtually every change that has been made. It keeps exactly enough of the source material to be "faithful," and trims and reshuffles everywhere else (much like Jackson's LOTR films). The pace clips along nicely, and it appears we're getting about 1/10 of the book oer episode (based on a rough calculation), which is pretty much bang-on.

My only complaint about episode 2 is the lack of (not a spoiler) Ser Renly. I missed his sarcastic comments (they weren't as biting coming from the King). Also, I would have liked to see:

Bran's dream with the crow. I think it's one of the most important chapters in the first book.

Otherwise, solid second episode. Again, I'm really liking the show's balance between pacing and faithfulness to the book.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Alot of people on the imdb boards seem to be complaining about the changes in the Drogo Dany relationship. I havent read the books - time constraints maybe?

Im suprised at the rift between Ned and the King already. Seems like its so early in the story.

I enjoyed it. The stuff with the wolves, the wall situation, whats on the other side, has me curious as to where it will go, everything Dothraki is cool, and I thought Peter Dinklage/ The dwarf was just great, and is quickly becoming a fav character.

Theyre also doing a pretty good job at making some of these characters unlikeable.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I think about 1/2 of the dialog and moments are verbatim, line for line from the books. I think if you expect more then that then you have unrealistic expectations.

I'm not sure about how they change the drogo/dany relationship as in the end, I think it will end up at the same point, so it's kind of hard to change that. Other sequences (the fight with involving the butcher's boy, Lady, etc.) are exactly as I remember them.. dead on. Even the choice of dialog is dead on.
Yes, the fractures between Ned and the King occur very early in the book as well..

I think part of the issue is changing some of the tone from the books as well as where they end up and turning it into a drama. I don't know, for everyone who is probably complaining, I would say that I completely understand. I think some books are very difficult to make into films or a TV series because doing so causes you to lose big, fundamental elements of the book. For example, Dune adding things like "Weirding" modules and other crap.. or a movie changing the movies of the characters, etc. In those cases, it's a real bastardization and I wish the film/TV real ill will. But this is obviously taking the source material very seriously and I don't see them at any point endangering the main plot or setting up anything that would change the outcomes of the characters.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by mattCR

I think about 1/2 of the dialog and moments are verbatim, line for line from the books. I think if you expect more then that then you have unrealistic expectations.

This is pretty much exactly what I said above, so I agree :)

As an aside, are you reading the book right now (for the first time), Matt? I only ask because of your comment in post 31. If so, how are you liking it so far?

RickGr

Second Unit
I found game of thrones much easier to follow on a second reading as I was familar with all the characters.

From what I read across the net a lot (who have not read the book(s)) seem to be confused thinking this has all gone down in a couple of days where as its been a few months covered in the first two episodes.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Josh Dial

This is pretty much exactly what I said above, so I agree :)

As an aside, are you reading the book right now (for the first time), Matt? I only ask because of your comment in post 31. If so, how are you liking it so far?

Yes. I bought the book after Episode 1, and I tried to get it finished before Episode 2.. I am not -quite- there, I'm about 2/3 through the book

I just passed Ned's confrontation of the Queen and forcing her to admit the children are all sires of her brother, not Robert...

It's been a brisk read, I'm enjoy it..

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
My co worker and I were talking about it this morning. We both appreciated the link to the HBO site, that helps a lot. Really looking forward to this one and enjoyed the first episodes. Was a lot to take in with all the introductions in the first episode though.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I've read elsewhere concerning the relationship with Dany/Drago that one difference is...

In the books, she wasn't quite the helpless little girl basically sold off into slavery, but was more an active participant in the arrangement.

I haven't read the books, so I couldn't say.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks