HBO's Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by mattCR, Apr 10, 2011.

1. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    Premieres tonight.

2. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I thought it was this week too but it must have gotten bumped back a week.

3. RickGr

RickGr Second Unit

As far as I remember its always been slated for 4/17.

4. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I admit that I only have a passing interest in the show so I wasn't marking my calendar but I thought it was on this weekend up until yesterday when I saw a commercial at a movie theater saying that it premieres April 17.

5. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Cinematographer

Josh Dial
    It premieres next week (April 17th).

This is easily my most-looked-forward-to show of the last few years.

6. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt
    Damn! My apologies! With everyone posting it in their weekend preview (Slate, Salon, MSNBC) it got me all offguard ;)

7. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    Look for an announcement soon for a season 2 renewal! I actually do not know if this season (10 eps) will cover the entirety of the Game of Thrones novel or not. If not, they could continue next season. Otherwise, we'll dive into "Clash of Kings".

Seriously...if they can do the original trilogy that could be supremely awesome. I have no use for book 4 and book 5 is going on 7 years in the making now. But, those first three books are EPIC.

8. Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Blasphemy!

Some of my favourite characters and events are in that book! :)

9. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    Arya may very well be my favorite character...but, book 4 loses her as it lost me.

10. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

I have to agree regarding book 4. A number of good moments but taken as a whole it doesn't live up to the other three. Martin spends so much time describing clothing and food that it gets annoying.

I'll say this, though, it does have the Myrish swamp in it so it ain't all bad

11. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    My white-people problem:

The in-laws are having us over tonight, and they also have HBO, but they're acting like the wife and I wanting to watch this is putting them out, which is very unlike them, especially considering that Mom-In-Law herself is very interested in seeing this. WTF??

12. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Having never read the books, I did take a look at wiki and they talk about why so many delays, how the athor scrapped his plans, started over and was forced to split book 4 into two... book 4 and 5.

I enjoyed the first episode. Camelot already lost me, but Ill give this a chance a continue to watch.

13. Josh Dial

Josh Dial
    Well that premiere was amazing. Everything from the casting to the art direction to the direction was great.

If I may propose something, however, it's that we attempt to separate episode spoilers and book spoilers. I don't think we can really get around the occasional comment on the books, and I personally don't want anyone's experience of either the show or the books ruined by an errant spoiler. Just a suggestion, so nobody clicks a spoiler thinking it's from an episode they just watched, only to find out it's from Storm of Swords or something.

Back on the topic of the show, I thought it was amazing how they "nailed" the casting. Virtually every character was just how I imagined them. I'm really glad Jaime was well-cast--he's one of my favourite characters from the series.

Overall, the production value seems very high; it seems a lot of money was pumped into the series.

14. Vaughan Odendaal

Vaughan Odendaal Second Unit

This show has production values far greater than even Camelot. This impression I got from watching the trailer alone. I haven't watched the premiere (will tonight) so I can't wait. But to be honest, I don't have any knowledge of the books so I'm hoping it will be friendly to those not educated in the lore.

15. RickGr

RickGr Second Unit

Book 5 has been confirmed for a July release.

16. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

Might be tough, regarding the book/TV spoilers, but we should try. There's some things that happen in books 2 and 3 that I'd hate to spoil for anyone. I know I'm expanding beyond GoT but I can't see how the discussion won't wander to what happens to some of these characters down the road.

I really can't believe they actually made this into a series. One of my favorite book series of all time come to life on the screen and the first impression is they may have got it right.

17. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt
    We're run into this elsewhere.

I think we should say something like:

SPOILER (BOOK)

then the spoiler

or SPOILER (British/Foreign Series)

OR

SPOILER (Future Episode)

I know, annoying, but we're running into more series that deal with this issue (True Blood, Walking Dead, Being Human, Shameless, etc.) It's a good way to give people a better heads up.

18. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Maybe you need to have read the books to really enjoy this show but I thought it was a total bore. In all fairness to the show, I thought it was very well produced & acted and I've got almost no interest in medieval sword fighting fantasy stories but I can't believe the reviews that this show has gotten based on what I saw.

19. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt

I couldn't figure out what as going on at all. I will give it a few episodes, but since "Borgias" gets my first eyeballs, I'll just catch it on DVR

20. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Well, there were alot of characters. It should get easier and we go along and discover who all these people are. This was a just a introduction.I had to do a quick rewind a couple times to take in all the names of the characters.

Is there enough material to spread this out across 10 -12 episodes per book?