What's new

HBO options Song of Fire and Ice (1 Viewer)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Peter Dinklage was born to play Tyrion, I became convinced just seeing one episode of Nip Tuck. In my opinion there's no one else there that could come even close to doing as well.

For Eddard I've always had the image of Jurgen Prochnow in my mind, but he's far too old. Damian Lewis (Winters in Band of Brothers) is a few years too young, but would be outstanding in the part. I'd like them to cast an unknown or even cast against type with someone like Paul Giamatti, who unfortunatley is probably too short to convincingly wield a two handed broadsword.

Other than Ian McKellan as Tywin Lannister I've no real preference for the other roles.

adam

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
um, he dies at the end of the book, there's an entire season's worth of material before that. none of which would need to be in flashback.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I prefer Professor X over Magneto as Tywin.

You're right about Dinklage. No one else to do it except maybe Ian Holm (but, he may be too old).

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor
Adam:

Yeah he does die at the end but that doesn't mean there is a ton of content to his story, its not like there are a lot of Danerys chapters that amount to much... he teaches her how to be a queeen and has a lot of sex but truthfully nothing else at all, Mirri maz Durr is way more important to the story with her prophecies than Khal Drogo.

Anyway, this is splitting hairs. Everything we're debating gets summed up in about 2 paragraphs on Wikipedia. I somehow don't think HBO would waste an entire season on it.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter

Dinklage is it. Bar none. I think Stewart and those of that generation are a bit too old for Tywin's age group (though to be fair, Stewart has looked his current age since I first saw him in EXCALIBUR 20-odd years ago). I think some folks are thinking too old for even Eddard's generation. That group is probably in their late 30's or early 40's at the oldest. Tywin (the previous generation) is probably in his late 50's. In these books teenagers become "men" a lot earlier than we in our world do. Teens are married and having babies and running castles before their 20's. So people like Damien Lewis would be fine for Eddard or someone in his crew who ran off to war less than 20 years before to secure Robert at the throne.

Sure, it will most likely be a cast of mostly little or not at all known actors (on these shores, any way) but they will have some heavy hitters, I hope. Still fun to cast, though. That said, vote Kenneth Brannagh in the Baelish role.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Raasean:
There's almost as much content to the Dany chapters as there is to the Eddard chapters, not as much intrigue, but a great deal of interpersonal dynamics between Dany, Drogo, Viserys and Mormont that are essential to Dany's development. And Dany's development from a child to a mother to a warrior princess is quite a significant arc. The person who married Drogo couldn't have possibly become mother of Dragons, or defied her brother so completely. Vaes Dothrak is a pretty significant moment as well--as you pointed out. Dany's story in AGOT is much more important than her story in the subsequent books because she has so much major character development happening. In the next books she's experiencing major events, but her character is undergoing more subtle shifts, not dramatic transformations. Dany goes through in a book what takes Jon three books to get through.

but as you said, we're splitting hairs. You could sum up Lord of the Rings in a two paragraph wikipedia blurb and it would still be just as meaningless a standard.

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
Cool, another series that HBO will start and then cancel in the middle because it's too expensive to create. Sorry, still upset with them for canceling Carnivale and Deadwood.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
nah, J+D will be what everyone (including JD) will want to happen but J will make a Frodo choice.

There, finally something we can disagree on.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
I don't know. I think it is their...density. :D I mean, Songs of Ice and Fire, after all...

Okay..D+B(ran). There, I said it. Give those crazy kids a few years to work it out. And where the hell is Rickon? And when will the wee Howland Reed show up? And who will play him in season 5 or 6 or 7 of the HBO series? :D

Mark Dill

Stunt Coordinator
D+B(ran)

Never heard that theory before... isn't he a bit young for her? =)

What does "make a Frodo choice" mean? Feel free to use a spoiler box, if you think it's necessary. All I could think of was...

Jon falls in love with Samwell? :D

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
re: Frodo choice
Meaning the hero doesn't win happiness with achieving victory.

In other words, Jon will choose to honor his vows to the Wall over becoming king and marrying Dany; choosing Dany would mean abandoning his vows. Jon may never even discover whether or not he really is Eddard's bastard or Lyanna's legitimate (or illegitimate) child, though Bran and Sam will probably both discover the truth and neither will tell Jon in the hopes that Jon will decide to become king. If Jon did discover Dany to be his cousin/aunt the decision would not be as agonizing for him, he would find it easier to choose the wall, though the wall might not even exist by the end of the series, Jon will probably labor to restore both it and the Night's Watch, rather than a happily ever after of getting the kingdom and winning the princess.

Dany+Bran is an interesting alternative, by the time of the end of the series Bran will probably be near 12 or 13, not appallingly young for the culture of Westeros--unusual because it's a boy rather than a girl marrying so young, but not unusual for the nobility, as we've seen with Sansa, Tommen, Joffrey, and the engagement of Arya for example.

I always saw Bran as returning to Winterfell though and rebuilding it. though Bran as king has a certain compelling dramatic element to it.

It'd be a shocker if Sam got Dany. :p

I'd kinda like Dany to either take two husbands (reverse of her ancester) or none at all. She can appoint an heir and rule as Elizabeth I, not everyone in the series needs to be neatly tied up in 'ships'. *sigh* *giggle* :rolleyes

I seriously doubt Westeros will wind up with as obvious ships as HarryGinny RonHermione

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks