What's new

Hawkeye and the Last of the Mohicans-1957 NetworkDVD R2 Web Exclusive Jan.31,2011 (1 Viewer)

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Brad, it has been awhile since I have watched the SIR FRANCIS DRAKE DVDs, and I am due for a revisit. I liked it and thought Terence Morgan, as Drake, and Jean Kent, as the Queen, were very good. I liked the theme song and find myself whistling it quite often.Markie, can you give the Hawkeye episode titles of the episodes you are referring to with the sound problems, different opening, and the other announcer? I'll have a look and listen.

Mark McFurbin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Buggles
Bob Gu said:
Markie, can you give the Hawkeye episode titles of the episodes you are referring to with the sound problems, different opening, and the other announcer? I'll have a look and listen.
Thanks Bob! If you pop in Disc 2 and go to The Threat episode and go to 9:43 minute mark right when the guy gets the arrow in his back he makes this sound and it sounds very unnatural if you ask me and very out of place. Let me know what you think. I was attributing most of the weird sounding stuff to the PAL speedup but that particular part just sounds too off to me to be part of the original audio. You'll hear the different announcer at the beginning of this same episode, it's obviously not the original voiceover guy.

I'll get back to you with the title of the episode which has a different opening altogether.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
smithbrad said:
Has anyone taken a look at "Sir Frances Drake"? I picked several Network DVD releases several year back during a sale. I have Robin Hood S1 (rest of the seasons from Mill Creek), Buccaneers, William Tell, Sir Lancelot, Hawkeye, and Sir Frances Drake. I had seen some of William Tell growing up, which peaked my interest in getting many of these titles, and based on comments from those on the forum.

Unfortunately, I have not had much time to dig into them but I did see all of Sir Frances Drake and really enjoyed it. Just curious if anyone else has.
I'ved never seen any of Sir Francis Drake, The Buccaneers or Sir Lancelot. What is their quality like as programs? Are they along the lines of Robin Hood and William Tell? How are the production values?

Silverking

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Street
Very similar David. All made by ITC with production values along the same lines as Robin Hood, although unlike the latter I don't think there were any instances of the same actor playing two roles in the same episode.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Yes, Victor Woolf on ROBIN HOOD. There was one episode where he played Derwent, one of the Merrymen, a soldier, a monk, a 'blind' begger spy sending a message arrow to Robin, and maybe another character. If Woolf was in a strong union and was being paid for each role he might have made more in salary than Richard Greene.David, THE BUCCANEERS and SIR LANCELOT have some episodes up at youtube.com including some of the color Lancelot episodes. The SIR FRANCIS DRAKE theme and end credits are there at youtube too. 14 episodes of Sir Lancelot were filmed in color but only 12 are on the DVD sets from Network and Timeless. I only have the Timeless set of Lancelot and the color episodes looked nice but a little faded. Anyone care to comment on how the color episodes looked on the Network set?Markie, I watched the HAWKEYE episode the "Threat" and I think it's the same announcer, doing a different less dramatic reading. The sound effects I agree sound funny, but I think you are right that it might be Pal speed-up, technical tweeking, or the difference between Hollywood sound effects and Canadian sound effects. Some sound effects are not consistent throughout the Hawkeye episodes. That happens on many other series too. But I think the sound effects are all original to the show.I checked "The Threat" episode on the Mill Creek release, which came out years before the Network edition, and everything was the same, even the film damage on the print. Although on two of the episodes on the Mill Creek Hawkeye disc someone added onscreen episode titles to "The Search" and "False Witness". They were definitely added later by someone.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Does anyone know who owns the rights to Ivanhoe (the Roger Moore TV show), and if it is available on DVD in North America or the UK?

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Richard V said:
Does anyone know who owns the rights to Ivanhoe (the Roger Moore TV show), and if it is available on DVD in North America or the UK?
According to Wikipedia, Sony now owns it. If they have any usable masters, perhaps Mill Creek might pick it up.

Silverking

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Street
There is no official release of Ivanhoe. It was sheduled for UK release a few years back but the company went bust.

Prints certainly exist as it played on German TV (with subtitles) some years ago.

Although it screened around the same time as Robin Hood etc it was not made by ITC like the other swashbucklers.It is believed some episodes were in colour though I have never seen an example.

In addition to Robin Hood, Sword of Freedom etc. there was one other UK swashbuckler 'The Gay Cavalier' . Unfortunately it seems to be a 'lost' series. Even if found they may have to retitle it !

Re the Network 'Sir Lancelot' , yes a couple of the prints are a little faded but overall not too bad for early colour.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
CANNONBALL, an adventure series starring Paul Burch and William Campbell as truckers from 1958-59, a one-year syndicated entry filmed entirely in Canada just like the Hawkeye series could be an ideal DVD release if they have usuable masters in good shape. ITC produced the series, but I don't think Network will go for it. Anyone for RAMAR OF THE JUNGLE?

Silverking

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Street
Cannonball has been one of my top 'wants; forever. Apparently prints do exist & in the UK too, not sure what shape they are in though.

There are a few early ITC series which Network haven't picked up on. They did bring out 'The Four Just Men' & 'Interpol Calling' , two of the dullest series ITC made. I'm surprised they haven't issued 'The New Adventures of Charlie Chan'. or O.S.S.

Recently Network have turned their attention to old British B movies more than TV.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
If you have watched the first episode of HAWKEYE AND THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS, "The Homecoming", watch this:

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
As you can see, "The Homecoming" uses the story, and some of the same film, from the IROQUOIS TRAIL, and even casts some of the same actors in the same roles, years later.

The Iroquois Trail,1950, actually uses unused footage from the Randolph Scott LAST OF THE MOHICANS, from the 1930s. Both movies had the same producer. The writer of Iroquois Trail is credited with the story for "The Homecoming". And the 1992 Last of the Mohicans, used some of the staging from Iroquois Trail as inspiration, the scene with the old chief at the end in particular.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks