What's new

Hawaii Five: O: The Sixth Season and beyond (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Well they did change the cover art to show Duke instead of Ben which may not have been totally necessary in the end, but I think does set the stage for the rest of the run where his picture should be on the front for all remaining seasons.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Originally Posted by Jack P /forum/thread/280497/hawaii-five-o-the-sixth-season-and-beyond/90#post_3592964
Well they did change the cover art to show Duke instead of Ben which may not have been totally necessary in the end, but I think does set the stage for the rest of the run where his picture should be on the front for all remaining seasons.
I don't really have a dog in this race, but it was completely unnecessary and it kind of demonstrates just how poorly some people research things. It would have only taken a couple of minutes via Google for anyone to see that "Ben" was on the show at the beginning of Season 7. It's not like it was some big secret issue. But I honestly don't care one way or the other. The night shot stayed the same, which is the important thing to me because it looks so great!
Gary "it's a little crazy that CBS wouldn't even check that out before changing it up" O.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The URL link below is to the TVShowsOnDVD news article about the revised front cover artwork:

TVShowsOnDVD.com - Revised front cover artwork for Hawaii Five-O: The Seventh Season (Region 1)

Personally I don't like the revised artwork. Why did it need changing? Yes, Al Harrington was only in the first half of the season but he was in the main cast for a part of the seventh season. The actor who played Duke did not join the main cast until the ninth season.

When I saw the email saying this news article had been posted on TVShowsOnDVD I thought it was going to be the rear boxart. When it said the front cover artwork had been revised I thought Douglas Mossman had been added to the front cover. He wasn't in the main cast for the seventh season after Al Harrington left, but he played a member of the Five-O team. So I'm disappointed by the change CBS/Paramount have made to the front cover artwork.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
Duke has actually been around as an HPD officer since Season 4. However, he doesn't suit up and become a member of the Five-0 team until Season 8, and he doesn't start getting an opening titles credit until Season 9. And unlike James MacArthur, he's there until the bitter end (meaning the wretched Season 12). And if you watch enough season 12 episodes someday, you will notice that the actor playing Duke does in fact seem to become bitter or downright surly (playing second fiddle to Kimo, Lori and Truck, the rocket scientists that joined the team during that season).

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I think people's mistaken impressions on Harrington's presence in S7, and I will plead guilty on that score myself, can be traced to the influence of the old Brooks/Marsh reference guide on TV shows which people would devour the details of for shows they didn't know the ins and outs of to the point where what they would know about the show before they became acclimated to it came from there. In that reference book Harrington is listed as a regular for "1972-1974" which to anyone studying it would imply two seasons only. But instead, Brooks/Marsh got overly anal retentive and decided that since his last new episode aired in the CALENDAR year 1974 that would be how the entry would read even though of course his episodes would surely have been repeated in calendar year 1975. And that's ultimately how mistaken impressions can get formed.

That said, the fact that they show Duke properly as an HPD officer shows they're giving him the spotlight for how the character was *that season* and for a character who was a more constant presence throughout the season than Harrington was, and so I think in the end there's no reason to complain about the change on the grounds that it shows something inaccurate about the show that season. If they'd showed Duke as a Five-O member, that would have been different.

Edited by Jack P - 8/5/2009 at 10:03 pm GMT

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I can certainly understand the Complete Directory book causing a misunderstanding on the issue. And like I said earlier, I don't have a dog in this race. To me the nice thing was the background artwork showcasing the nighttime beach scene. As long as that stayed intact, I was going to be happy.

Gary "kinda weird that 'Ben' would disappear in middle of a season" O.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
Joe Corey, if the season 12 episodes were actually reasonably enjoyable, a nice pineapple flavored rum would be a perfect drink to enjoy them with. However, given the fact that season 12 is incredibly horrifying, you will want to smash the rum bottle over your head until you black out and call it a night.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Big surprise this, as I wasn't expecting it to be released until at least February next year...Season 7 is coming out on Region 2 in the UK in NOVEMBER!! Two months after Season 6 is released. Just hope this dosen't mean Season 8 won't be released until autumn next year. I found out about the Season 7 release on Play.com. The URL link to their listing page for the Season 7 set is below:

Hawaii Five-O: The Seventh Season (Region 2) - Play.com listing page

Note the front cover artwork is the same as the first version of the Region 1 front cover artwork.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Just to double check, were the teasers moved to after the main cast title sequence from the fifth season onwards?

What is the website address for the CBS syndication library, which shows how many episodes have been digitally remastered? I can't remember the name of the website or the URL address link. I know there was one episode from season 5 which hadn't been digitally remastered (but by the time the set had been released it had been digitally remastered for the DVD set. That's based on people's comments on the Home Theater Forum), but the majority of the episodes not digitally remastered come from the tenth to twelfth seasons.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
Here's the link, Richard: http://www.paramounttv.com/
Look it up under 'Series'. There's a note in there somewhere saying that the HD remastering currently taking place is not for syndication. As for the syndication remastering that took place a while back, you are correct: the majority of non-remastered shows came from seasons 10-12.
The pre-title sequence teasers were done away with starting in season 5. 30-second pre-show 'previews' started in season 9.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Thanks Jeff for posting the link to the Paramount Syndication Library website. Over the last couple of days I've had a look at seasons 5-12 and will make a more detailed post soon. But for now I have a couple of questions, the first of which is based on looking at the Hawaii Five-O: Season 5 list on the Paramount Syndication Library website:

1.) The fifth season episode "Pig in a Blanket", was that digitally remastered for the fifth season set?

2.) Did Jack Lord stop recording episode promos from the ninth season onwards? Was Hawaii Five-O starting or following a trend which became commonplace from the 70's onwards, thirty second teasers before the title sequence of an episode?

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
Richard,
1) To the best of my knowledge, every episode in the DVD seasons released so far has been digitally remastered in HD. This is separate from the syndicated lists in the CBS-P bible, in which ~74 various episodes, especially in the latter part of the series' run, were not remastered for syndication and subsequently are not available in the current syndication package. Thus, a number of the episodes on DVD, starting around season 5, are not available to local tv stations for broadcast these days.

2) I think the Jack Lord minute-long promos (that we have on the DVDs) continued at the end of each episode as next week's scenes, just as they always had been doing. However, in syndication in the 80s and most of the 90s when the shows were uncut, 30-second previews (usually cutdowns of the 1-minute next week's scenes) were added to the very beginning of the episodes in seasons 9-12. I presume they were shown like that in the series' original CBS run as well.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Was "Nine Dragons" the only episode of Hawaii Five-O where the cast and crew filmed an episode not on any of the Hawaiian islands but in another part of the world? Why I'm asking, is because in the feature-length Season 11 finale "Year of the Horse" some of the story is set in Singapore.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Just checked the Play.com listing pages for Hawaii Five-O: The Seventh Season on Region 2, and have found the release date has been been put back from Monday 30th November, 2009 to Monday 31st January, 2010. Same with Mission: Impossible: The Seventh TV Season.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Only another three days till the Hawaii Five-O: The Sixth Season R2 boxset is released in the UK.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
I finally found some time to watch the final three episodes of season 6. Of course, I knew that nothing remaining could equal the powerhouse of 'Nightmare In Blue', but even with expectations down, I was still pretty disappointed to see season 6 go out on such a whimper. 'Mother's Deadly Helper' certainly started things off on the right track (with the always great Anthony Zerbe), but boy, do the final two shows fizzle. 'Killer At Sea' is more like a Muder on the Orient Express type show, with just about everyone being a suspect...and '30,000 Rooms and I Have A Key' really hits bottom, with a recycled idea from a previous show (actually, two shows) being done once again. By the middle of the episode, your basically wondering when the end credits will come.

Well, it was still an outstanding season of shows ('Nightmare In Blue' alone was worth the purchase). I am SO looking forward to October's release of Season 7!

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I am also looking forward to Season#7. I still rank Hawaii Five-O up there as one of the best police dramas.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks