What's new

Hawaii Five: O: The Sixth Season and beyond (1 Viewer)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Hawaii Five-O still has a spot in my heart after all these years. I was very young when it first aired as such i am glad it has been released to dvd.

It is too bad Kono could not have been kept as i felt he added a native island presence to the show that was never really replaced in S5-S12. Yes, you could argue adding Duke to the staff was way to bring in native islander, but Duke did not have same presence as Kono did in his role.

Hawaii Five-O was also successful due to its guest actors, like Ricardo Montalban or Pernell Roberts or Donna Mills or John Byner or others!.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Nick Eden said:
As someone who has only bought up to season 8 so far, can anyone confirm if Season 10 has been released anywhere using the new transfers?I accept the strong likelihood that the remastered episodes will be used in the complete set, but for me(and many others I would have thought), I have other things to spend money on rather than the entire series just to gain the better quality season 10 episodes.Or is it the case that only the old transfers are still available for season 10?
Sadly it seems as if the remastered season 10 will only be available as part of this set and not individually.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
younger1968 said:
Hawaii Five-O still has a spot in my heart after all these years. I was very young when it first aired as such i am glad it has been released to dvd.

It is too bad Kono could not have been kept as i felt he added a native island presence to the show that was never really replaced in S5-S12. Yes, you could argue adding Duke to the staff was way to bring in native islander, but Duke did not have same presence as Kono did in his role.

Hawaii Five-O was also successful due to its guest actors, like Ricardo Montalban or Pernell Roberts or Donna Mills or John Byner or others!.
There was an episode, though I don't remember which season (found it on Netflix), that featured Buddy Ebsen and David Canary as bad guys. Well worth watching!

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Season 4,"3000 Crooked Miles To Honolulu". That was the 71-72 season which was Ebsen's one year of down time between the end of "Beverly Hillbillies" and the start of "Barnaby Jones".

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Jack P said:
Season 4,"3000 Crooked Miles To Honolulu". That was the 71-72 season which was Ebsen's one year of down time between the end of "Beverly Hillbillies" and the start of "Barnaby Jones".
That was great episodes!! There are so many good episodes that it is hard to pinpoint all the good ones. I will say this that i love the episode with Vic Tayback called bones of contention. Vic Tayback did an amazing job in this episode!!

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
younger1968 said:
That was great episodes!! There are so many good episodes that it is hard to pinpoint all the good ones. I will say this that i love the episode with Vic Tayback called bones of contention. Vic Tayback did an amazing job in this episode!!
I remember Vic mainly from "Alice." However, I have seen guest appearances of his on other shows and it seems he always played a "heavy" type. Such a contrast from his "Mel" character!

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
I love this show! I buy a season when I see a good price & have the first 4 now. I was a kid when it was originally on but fell in love with it in syndication in the late 90's. I probably won't buy the full set even though it's tempting. I may not even buy all the seasons as I've heard some later ones aren't great. At a minimum, how many seasons would be worth getting? All seasons have some strong episodes but if I was just to buy the best, what's a good cutoff? I'm thinking of stopping around 8 or 9. I'll probably get 12 just to wrap it up.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
IntoIt said:
Is it true that the region 4 DVD of season 2 has the missing "Bored, She Hung Herself" episode? That's what Wikipedia claims.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaii_Five-O#Withheld_episode
Bored, she hung herself has never been released on dvd. It is sad after nearly 40 years the network is still hung on the episode. I am not sure why disclaimers can be suffice for episode, especially when there are worst things people can do now via watching youtube or other shows.

BTW: A few weeks ago I watched the Grandstand episode as I like the role Pernell Roberts as aging baseball player with a mentally challenged kid. I would have to rate that episode as one of my favorites!

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
Wvtvguy said:
I love this show! I buy a season when I see a good price & have the first 4 now. I was a kid when it was originally on but fell in love with it in syndication in the late 90's. I probably won't buy the full set even though it's tempting. I may not even buy all the seasons as I've heard some later ones aren't great. At a minimum, how many seasons would be worth getting? All seasons have some strong episodes but if I was just to buy the best, what's a good cutoff? I'm thinking of stopping around 8 or 9. I'll probably get 12 just to wrap it up.
Season 9 is a great season, so you'd be wise to continue through that one. You can count on one hand the number of good episodes in Seasons 10-12 (and on my hand, those would be "Descent of the Torches" and "Death in the Family" (S10), "Number One with a Bullet (Parts 1 and 2" and "The Execution File" (S11), and "A Lion in the Streets" (S12).

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
younger1968 said:
Bored, she hung herself has never been released on dvd. It is sad after nearly 40 years the network is still hung on the episode. I am not sure why disclaimers can be suffice for episode, especially when there are worst things people can do now via watching youtube or other shows.

BTW: A few weeks ago I watched the Grandstand episode as I like the role Pernell Roberts as aging baseball player with a mentally challenged kid. I would have to rate that episode as one of my favorites!
That didn't answer my question. I meant the Region 4 DVD. If anyone has the Region 4 DVD of season 2, please confirm.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
IntoIt said:
That didn't answer my question. I meant the Region 4 DVD. If anyone has the Region 4 DVD of season 2, please confirm.
This is the tech description from the release, so I would imagine the answer is yes:
Description
McGarrett, Danno, and the rest of the Five-0 squad are back in action in this captivating collection of 24 episodes from the legendary show’s second season. Saboteurs, revolutionaries, vigilantes, and the diabolical villain Wo Fat are just a few of the dangers Steve McGarrett and his team must face as they serve justice and protect the peace on their island paradise of Hawaii. Featuring a parade of famous guest stars, Hawaii Five-0: The Second Season is a must-have for every fan of classic TV.

Episodes:
A Thousand Pardons -- You're Dead!
To Hell with Babe Ruth
Forty Feet High and It Kills!
Just Lucky, I Guess
Savage Sunday
A Bullet for McGarrett
Sweet Terror
King Kamehameha Blues
Singapore File
All the King's Horses
Leopard on the Rock
The Devil and Mr. Frog
The Joker's Wild, Man, Wild!
Which Way Did They Go?
Blind Tiger
Bored, She Hung Herself
Run, Johnny, Run
Killer Bee
The One with the Gun
Cry, Lie
Most Likely to Murder
Nightmare Road
Three Dead Cows at Makapuu: Part 1
Three Dead Cows at Makapuu: Part 2
Kiss the Queen Goodbye
Special Features
[*]Episode Promos
[/list]

Distributor Paramount Year of Release 1969 Run Time (minutes) 1175 Language
[*]English
[*]French
[/list] Subtitle Language
[*]English,
[*]English - HI,
[*]Danish,
[*]Dutch,
[*]Finnish,
[*]French,
[*]Norwegian,
[*]Swedish
[/list] Audio Format
[*]Dolby Digital Mono
[*]English
[/list] Aspect Ratio 1.33:1 Fullscreen Transfer Aspect Ratio 4:3 DVD Region 4 First Released 2007-11-08 Number of Discs 6 Disc Packaging Box set Video Format PAL

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
If "Bored" were available in R4 we would have known about that years ago. I think the description is just making a error based on assuming it's there from an episode listing. The wikipedia source link doesn't offer any proof that it was released in R4.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I'm sorry if this has been answered, but does the complete series set have remastered season 10 episodes?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Yes, the S10 episodes have been remastered in the complete series set and look terrific. That was the only reason why I made sure to ask for this set for Christmas and it was worth it!

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
i am watching the tenth season of the show and noticed that the picture quality has become not so great. where did they get their source material from. the other seasons looked great.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
kingfish said:
i am watching the tenth season of the show and noticed that the picture quality has become not so great. where did they get their source material from. the other seasons looked great.
The Season 10 episodes were uncut, unremastered videotape transfers that were used in syndication in the late 80s thru the mid-90s (a handful of Season 10 episodes were remastered for the Family Channel back in 1997, which is why a few episodes from the Season 10 DVD release look better than others). The transfers for Seasons 1-9 and Seasons 11-12 were digitally remastered in high definition, which is why they look so much better.
The presumed reason for why the Season 10 transfers weren't given the HD remastering is that CBS DVD rushed to have the set in stores before Christmas in December (it had originally been scheduled to be released in March the following year).

The only way you can currently get a digitally remastered Season 10 is to buy the recently-released Complete Series set (or you can view them on Netflix).

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Jeff*H said:
The Season 10 episodes were uncut, unremastered videotape transfers that were used in syndication in the late 80s thru the mid-90s (a handful of Season 10 episodes were remastered for the Family Channel back in 1997, which is why a few episodes from the Season 10 DVD release look better than others). The transfers for Seasons 1-9 and Seasons 11-12 were digitally remastered in high definition, which is why they look so much better.
The presumed reason for why the Season 10 transfers weren't given the HD remastering is that CBS DVD rushed to have the set in stores before Christmas in December (it had originally been scheduled to be released in March the following year).

The only way you can currently get a digitally remastered Season 10 is to buy the recently-released Complete Series set (or you can view them on Netflix).
And the sad fact is, you'd never know this reading the review of season 10 over at DVDTalk

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/46453/hawaii-five-o-tenth-season/

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
The first episodes that I remember watching of H50 were the "V for Vashon" three parter. The show captured my attention with that trio and I watched it through out.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I mentioned on the top 5 of the 70s thread that I was thinking of trying Five-0 again, and Peter F. helpfully pointed me to the pilot Cocoon, which I watched last night with my teenage son. We both thought it was surprisingly good! And, as you folks know, it's quite a bit different from the rest of the series. All of the basic elements were there, but as Peter mentioned this was more James Bond-ish in its approach. I actually liked Jack Lord's McGarrett better in this one, I think, because he was both more active and more vulnerable. And it may seem like a cliché now, but making the cop date the hippy-chick, and yet having them both be equally good and committed to bettering society, was actually pretty bold back in 1968. The sensory deprivation stuff was cutting-edge for back then too—more than a dozen years before Altered States. I almost wished they'd kept with this format for the show, but I imagine the budget just wouldn't have allowed that. And probably thinking up James Bond-like plots week after week would have been not just extremely difficult, but would have made the show wildly implausible to the point of being silly. And so, I guess I'm glad they did something closer to a regular cop show, but set in paradise. I think I liked Cocoon better than any episode of the show I've seen before. I'd probably give it about a "B+"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks