Hawaii Five: O: The Sixth Season and beyond

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by WaveCrest, Dec 24, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Jack P

Jack P Producer

THey didn't suppress it, I'm just saying I would have preferred it be. In this episode you have deranged David Dukes (fresh off trying to rape Edith Bunker in one of the worst episodes of "All In The Family") out to kill a Japanese immigrant businessman who it turns out ran a death camp in WW2 (where Dukes' father was killed) and has concealed his ID. Not only does the former death camp commander get to make a lame excuse about the war driving him mad, we also have McGarrett at episode's end giving us some lame speech about not letting go of the past etc. The thing that's really laughable about this episode is if the businessman were German and had run a Concentration Camp you know darned well the focus of the episode would have made Dukes sympathetic and how "Never forget" would be the overriding mesage.

2. younger1968

younger1968 Cinematographer

paul young
    Hawaii Five-O still has a spot in my heart after all these years. I was very young when it first aired as such i am glad it has been released to dvd.

It is too bad Kono could not have been kept as i felt he added a native island presence to the show that was never really replaced in S5-S12. Yes, you could argue adding Duke to the staff was way to bring in native islander, but Duke did not have same presence as Kono did in his role.

Hawaii Five-O was also successful due to its guest actors, like Ricardo Montalban or Pernell Roberts or Donna Mills or John Byner or others!.

3. jdee28

jdee28 Screenwriter

John
    Sadly it seems as if the remastered season 10 will only be available as part of this set and not individually.

4. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    There was an episode, though I don't remember which season (found it on Netflix), that featured Buddy Ebsen and David Canary as bad guys. Well worth watching!

5. Jack P

Jack P Producer

Season 4,"3000 Crooked Miles To Honolulu". That was the 71-72 season which was Ebsen's one year of down time between the end of "Beverly Hillbillies" and the start of "Barnaby Jones".

Ron1973 likes this.
  6. younger1968

paul young
    That was great episodes!! There are so many good episodes that it is hard to pinpoint all the good ones. I will say this that i love the episode with Vic Tayback called bones of contention. Vic Tayback did an amazing job in this episode!!

Ron1973 likes this.
  7. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    I remember Vic mainly from "Alice." However, I have seen guest appearances of his on other shows and it seems he always played a "heavy" type. Such a contrast from his "Mel" character!

8. Wvtvguy

Wvtvguy Stunt Coordinator

Marc
    I love this show! I buy a season when I see a good price & have the first 4 now. I was a kid when it was originally on but fell in love with it in syndication in the late 90's. I probably won't buy the full set even though it's tempting. I may not even buy all the seasons as I've heard some later ones aren't great. At a minimum, how many seasons would be worth getting? All seasons have some strong episodes but if I was just to buy the best, what's a good cutoff? I'm thinking of stopping around 8 or 9. I'll probably get 12 just to wrap it up.

9. Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain Supporting Actor

Vahan_Nisanain
  10. younger1968

paul young
    Bored, she hung herself has never been released on dvd. It is sad after nearly 40 years the network is still hung on the episode. I am not sure why disclaimers can be suffice for episode, especially when there are worst things people can do now via watching youtube or other shows.

BTW: A few weeks ago I watched the Grandstand episode as I like the role Pernell Roberts as aging baseball player with a mentally challenged kid. I would have to rate that episode as one of my favorites!

11. Jeff*H

Jeff*H Supporting Actor

Jeff
    Season 9 is a great season, so you'd be wise to continue through that one. You can count on one hand the number of good episodes in Seasons 10-12 (and on my hand, those would be "Descent of the Torches" and "Death in the Family" (S10), "Number One with a Bullet (Parts 1 and 2" and "The Execution File" (S11), and "A Lion in the Streets" (S12).

12. Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain Supporting Actor

Vahan_Nisanain
    That didn't answer my question. I meant the Region 4 DVD. If anyone has the Region 4 DVD of season 2, please confirm.

13. jim_falconer

jim_falconer Supporting Actor

This is the tech description from the release, so I would imagine the answer is yes:
    Description
    McGarrett, Danno, and the rest of the Five-0 squad are back in action in this captivating collection of 24 episodes from the legendary show’s second season. Saboteurs, revolutionaries, vigilantes, and the diabolical villain Wo Fat are just a few of the dangers Steve McGarrett and his team must face as they serve justice and protect the peace on their island paradise of Hawaii. Featuring a parade of famous guest stars, Hawaii Five-0: The Second Season is a must-have for every fan of classic TV.

Episodes:
    A Thousand Pardons -- You're Dead!
    To Hell with Babe Ruth
    Forty Feet High and It Kills!
    Just Lucky, I Guess
    Savage Sunday
    A Bullet for McGarrett
    Sweet Terror
    King Kamehameha Blues
    Singapore File
    All the King's Horses
    Leopard on the Rock
    The Devil and Mr. Frog
    The Joker's Wild, Man, Wild!
    Which Way Did They Go?
    Blind Tiger
    Bored, She Hung Herself
    Run, Johnny, Run
    Killer Bee
    The One with the Gun
    Cry, Lie
    Most Likely to Murder
    Nightmare Road
    Three Dead Cows at Makapuu: Part 1
    Three Dead Cows at Makapuu: Part 2
    Kiss the Queen Goodbye
    Special Features
    [*]Episode Promos
    [/list]

Distributor Paramount Year of Release 1969 Run Time (minutes) 1175 Language
    [*]English
    [*]French
    [/list] Subtitle Language
    [*]English,
    [*]English - HI,
    [*]Danish,
    [*]Dutch,
    [*]Finnish,
    [*]French,
    [*]Norwegian,
    [*]Swedish
    [/list] Audio Format
    [*]Dolby Digital Mono
    [*]English
    [/list] Aspect Ratio 1.33:1 Fullscreen Transfer Aspect Ratio 4:3 DVD Region 4 First Released 2007-11-08 Number of Discs 6 Disc Packaging Box set Video Format PAL

14. Jack P

Jack P Producer

If "Bored" were available in R4 we would have known about that years ago. I think the description is just making a error based on assuming it's there from an episode listing. The wikipedia source link doesn't offer any proof that it was released in R4.

15. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer
    Supporter

Ray
    I'm sorry if this has been answered, but does the complete series set have remastered season 10 episodes?

16. Jack P

Jack P Producer

Yes, the S10 episodes have been remastered in the complete series set and look terrific. That was the only reason why I made sure to ask for this set for Christmas and it was worth it!

17. kingfish

kingfish Screenwriter

i am watching the tenth season of the show and noticed that the picture quality has become not so great. where did they get their source material from. the other seasons looked great.

18. Jeff*H

Jeff*H Supporting Actor

Jeff
    The Season 10 episodes were uncut, unremastered videotape transfers that were used in syndication in the late 80s thru the mid-90s (a handful of Season 10 episodes were remastered for the Family Channel back in 1997, which is why a few episodes from the Season 10 DVD release look better than others). The transfers for Seasons 1-9 and Seasons 11-12 were digitally remastered in high definition, which is why they look so much better.
    The presumed reason for why the Season 10 transfers weren't given the HD remastering is that CBS DVD rushed to have the set in stores before Christmas in December (it had originally been scheduled to be released in March the following year).

The only way you can currently get a digitally remastered Season 10 is to buy the recently-released Complete Series set (or you can view them on Netflix).

Gary OS likes this.
  19. jim_falconer

jim_falconer Supporting Actor

And the sad fact is, you'd never know this reading the review of season 10 over at DVDTalk

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/46453/hawaii-five-o-tenth-season/

hypnohighball likes this.
  20. bretmaverick2

bretmaverick2 Supporting Actor

Tom Hunter
    The first episodes that I remember watching of H50 were the "V for Vashon" three parter. The show captured my attention with that trio and I watched it through out.