What's new

Hawaii Five: O: The Sixth Season and beyond (1 Viewer)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Why do they continue to issue complete series sets in packaging like this (slits for the disks)? Does anyone actually like it?

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Hi Joe, I can not stand the slit packs as there is more potential for the disk to be scratched. The studios keep getting worst with their packaging, i.e. spindles or individual disk packages or side clicks, etc.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
JoeDoakes said:
Why do they continue to issue complete series sets in packaging like this (slits for the disks)?
To save on shelf space in stores and homes. I don't like the 'slit' packaging for DVDs either but in fairness, any other way of releasing a 73 disc is going to end up with really unwieldy packaging.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
It still frustrates me and probably others when you purchase individual sets as way to support your favorite shows being released on dvd. I have S1-S12 on dvd as Hawaii Five-O imho was one of the best police drama ever created. I can understand it is business decision to released the complete set, but it is really a complete set? The episodes have been edited and/or bored she hung herself is not part of the set or any individual sets. We have debated the bored she hung herself about a person died trying that stunt, but the reality is today's tv has many stunts people tried and have hurt themselves or in some cases killed themselves. So, not releasing she bored hung herself does not make any sense to no be released.

I have also seen with shows like Sanford & Son or Good Times aired there were comments that show reflects the opinions of the time and may not be suitable for all audiences.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
That does remind me there are some edited episodes, mostly for music, like Season 3's "Trouble in Mind." Wouldn't it be nice if CBS/Paramount pulled a Fugitive: Most Wanted Edition and restored all that. Should I hold my breath?

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Here is a link to Jack Lord on the Michael Douglas show:

Hope you enjoy!! Love Live Hawaii Five-O, especially Jack Lord!!

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Do you think they'll put out the 10th season using the remastered episodes? The original issue wasn't (isn't?), and looks sad compared to the other seasons.

As for the complete series packaging, I'd be more likely to buy were it done as a box with individual season sets inside. That's how Cagney & Lacey and Law & Order were done, and L&O had a lot more episodes than Five-O. I've never bought slit cardboard page packaging, and won't start now.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
If my budget windfall comes I am liable to get this and then put the remastered S10 in the old S10 packaging!

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
rmw650 said:
But how can they call this a complete series if one of the episodes in Season 10 is still going to be missing from the set? Never saw the show before but what happened in that episode that is causing it not to be released as part of this megaset?
According to Wikipedia:

"Bored, She Hung Herself", the 16th episode of the second season, depicted a Five-O investigation into the apparent suicide of a woman by hanging, which she was supposedly practicing as part of a health regimen. A viewer reportedly died trying the same technique, and as a result, the show was not rebroadcast, was never included in any syndication packages, was not included in the DVD set of the second season released on July 31, 2007, will not be available in the Complete Series DVD set due to be released November 5, 2013, and is not available for streaming.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
That's great about the remastered tenth season being included in the set!
I hope they go all the way and include the one missing episode, "Bored, She Hung Herself." It's been almost 45 years, and besides, being an extra on a $350 set, not many people will see it anyway; why not include it for completeness sake.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
jdee28 said:
That's great about the remastered tenth season being included in the set!
I hope they go all the way and include the one missing episode, "Bored, She Hung Herself." It's been almost 45 years, and besides, being an extra on a $350 set, not many people will see it anyway; why not include it for completeness sake.
While rumors and speculation persist about the reasons that the "Bored She's Hung Herself" Season 2 episode continues to be withheld from distribution in syndication and home video, the CBS legal team is most likely the group that will not allow distribution, so CBS DVD's hands are tied--there's nothing they can do otherwise. However, that won't stop them from calling this a "Complete Series" release, provided that they will most likely feature a legal disclaimer on the packaging announcing the omission of "Bored", similar to what they did on the Season 2 DVD packaging, as a "cover-your-ass" move to prevent some moron from trying to sue them for fraud.

Unauthorized clips from the episode were up on a video clip sharing site, at least for a while, and anyone curious can possibly view it upon doing a search for it. Anyone who's seen it will most likely agree that it was 50 minutes of their life they will never be able to get back. I personally think it's time to move on from this issue--the BATMAN '66 series will be out on DVD long before "Bored" will, and I'm expecting BATMAN when hell freezes over ;)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I agree, there is no point clamoring for "Bored" because it is a terrible episode and not worth getting upset about its absence. Believe me, a remastered version wouldn't improve it one iota so if you see it in the boot versions that have been around, that will be enough to satisfy you for a lifetime.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Hi jack,

I think from collectors perspective it is always good to have all the episodes.I watch hawaii five-o from time to time, especially like the episode with the guy that would dressed up in disguises to try and confused McGarrett. McGarrett caught him in the end like he caught many crimminals and i will also like lines: "Bookem Danno, Murder 1" or "What kind of fool are you playing me for"

Jack P said:
I agree, there is no point clamoring for "Bored" because it is a terrible episode and not worth getting upset about its absence. Believe me, a remastered version wouldn't improve it one iota so if you see it in the boot versions that have been around, that will be enough to satisfy you for a lifetime.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Of course if given a choice I might have preferred seeing "When Does A War End?" from S10 suppressed for all time since that episode was out and out offensive with its whitewash of Japanese atrocities during WW2.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
The Obsolete Man said:
Yep.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Hawaii-Five-O-complete-series-delay/18830

It's still going to be the Incomplete Series, though.
I meant if Season 10 could be bought as a separate issue, not only if you buy the full set. As stated before, I'd be more likely to buy were it done as a box with individual season sets inside. That's how Cagney & Lacey and Law & Order were done, and L&O had a lot more episodes than Five-O (177 more, to be exact). I've never bought slit cardboard page packaging, and won't start now.

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
As someone who has only bought up to season 8 so far, can anyone confirm if Season 10 has been released anywhere using the new transfers?I accept the strong likelihood that the remastered episodes will be used in the complete set, but for me(and many others I would have thought), I have other things to spend money on rather than the entire series just to gain the better quality season 10 episodes.Or is it the case that only the old transfers are still available for season 10?

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
Always a Slim chance they could include "Bored She Hung Herself" as an unannounced
bonus feature on the 73rd disc.

But Don't hold your breath. :rolleyes:

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Jack P said:
Of course if given a choice I might have preferred seeing "When Does A War End?" from S10 suppressed for all time since that episode was out and out offensive with its whitewash of Japanese atrocities during WW2.
Boy if they surpressed that episode, I'm surprised they never surpressed the entire series of MASH, which was a continual whitewash of the nature of North Korea.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
THey didn't suppress it, I'm just saying I would have preferred it be. In this episode you have deranged David Dukes (fresh off trying to rape Edith Bunker in one of the worst episodes of "All In The Family") out to kill a Japanese immigrant businessman who it turns out ran a death camp in WW2 (where Dukes' father was killed) and has concealed his ID. Not only does the former death camp commander get to make a lame excuse about the war driving him mad, we also have McGarrett at episode's end giving us some lame speech about not letting go of the past etc. The thing that's really laughable about this episode is if the businessman were German and had run a Concentration Camp you know darned well the focus of the episode would have made Dukes sympathetic and how "Never forget" would be the overriding mesage.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks