What's new

Hawaii Five: O: The Sixth Season and beyond (1 Viewer)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i have compledt many of the episodes and i have the following observations:
1. Sharon Farrelll seems to disappear near the end of the dvd set. She did not show up on the intro near the final episodes of the show.
2. William Smith is a decent actor, but his personality does not suit being a police officer. William Smith is great as adversary (Rich Man, Poor Man) and/or fighter. However, William lacks crime investigating skills and that is very apparent when he meets with McGarrett to talk details on cases with him.
3. Duke, who was the only carry over from the series also seems to have a lesser role. It is too bad, because he does add something to the show!! I did like the episode where there was a curse placed on mcgarrett and native hawaiins had to avoid mcgarrett.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I have completed watching S12 of Hawaii Five-O and love watching the last episode with Wo Fat. It is kind of ironic that Hawaii five-O starts and ends with Wo Fat. I love the last scene when Wo Fat is in jail and has file.
I am so glad that i have S1-S12 on dvd and now can watch them at anytime. I am huge police drama and love watching how crimes are solved good old police techniques, unlike CSI Miami that uses technology to solve crimes. I am all for the improvements in technology, especially on DNA sequencing or use of computers, etc. However, those aforementioned techniques do not replace instincts. It is the instincts on shows like Hawaii Five-O, Streets of San Francisco, Adam-12, etc that make solving crimes interesing!!

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Do you think that at any time the original series will get a Blu? The current one did, so I'm sure that the original series will get one as well.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i have S1-S12 of the original Hawaii Five-O dvd and watch it from time to time. I watch an episode tonight with Perry King (Riptide) and Nicholas Hammond (The Amazing Spiderman/Martian Chronicles/Doug-Brady Bunch) and it was very well scripted.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
I also have seasons 1 thru 12. I've been stuck in season 10 for months. The inferior transfer makes it tougher to get excited about. That said, I'm on the last disc of the season, and will soon move to season 11 (where I know the transfer will once again be spot on).

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
jim_falconer said:
I also have seasons 1 thru 12.  I've been stuck in season 10 for months.  The inferior transfer makes it tougher to get excited about.  That said, I'm on the last disc of the season, and will soon move to season 11 (where I know the transfer will once again be spot on).
Hi Jim,
It was disappointed that a few seasons were not re-mastered, but that is reality. I still love the show. The chemistry early on with McGarrett, Kelly, Williams and Kono was amazing. I was not happy when Kono left as he was native islander and brought that native island tradition to the show.
I watch S12 a few months back and was not impress, especially with story lines and/or addition of new cast members. When Danno left it was for me the end of the show. Hawaii Five-O was not the same without Danno.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I didn't really follow Hawaii Five-O that closely when it was still in its first run on air. I mostly watched random episodes from the last few seasons, before the show went off the air. At the time, I thought it was kinda of a lackluster show in its 11th and 12th seasons. (I was a kid of the late-1970's and 1980's).
Awhile ago I picked up some of the early seasons after finding them in the bargain bins. These early seasons were much better than the season 11 + 12 episodes I watched when I was younger.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
jcroy said:
I didn't really follow Hawaii Five-O that closely when it was still in its first run on air. I mostly watched random episodes from the last few seasons, before the show went off the air. At the time, I thought it was kinda of a lackluster show in its 11th and 12th seasons. (I was a kid of the late-1970's and 1980's).
Awhile ago I picked up some of the early seasons after finding them in the bargain bins. These early seasons were much better than the season 11 + 12 episodes I watched when I was younger.
S10 is the season when Kelly's character left and S11 seen the exiting of Danno. The earlier seasons had the original cast and many of the episodes were well written and had each of the characters active in the episodes. However, the show change over time due to exiting of actors and Jack Lord being in control of the show as there were rumors that Ben's character was eliminated due to fact Jack Lord did not like someone taller then him.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I watch over 50? Steal last night and love this episode, especially Hume Cronyn playing the disguise artist. It is neat watching the episode evolved and McGarrett trying to trapped him. The last seen was classic, but i will not reveal it as some people may have not watched the episode!!

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I have watched a few episodes over the past few weeks and seen one with Richard Hatch called waterfront steal. I really like Richard Hatch as a guest actor and seen him also in episode of the rookies were he played Jill's ex boyfriend!

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
younger1968 said:
I have watched a few episodes over the past few weeks and seen one with Richard Hatch called waterfront steal. I really like Richard Hatch as a guest actor and seen him also in episode of the rookies were he played Jill's ex boyfriend!
My favorite Richard Hatch H5O appearance was in Season 5's "The Child Stealers"--also featuring the great Richard Anderson and Meg Foster. Looking forward to Hatch in Season 5 of STREETS OF SAN FRANCISCO in a few more weeks.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
hatch was also in another episode titled a study in rage i believe. hatch's character is infatuated with a former girlfriend who does not love him.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
kingfish said:
hatch was also in another episode titled a study in rage i believe. hatch's character is infatuated with a former girlfriend who does not love him.
I am still amazed today the guest stars that showed up on Hawaii Five-O over its run of 12 years. I seen two episodes where he had a role. My favorite is the one were he is the pilot and his sister is honolulu police officer!!

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I have S1-S12 on dvd and watch the show from time to time as it is one of my favorite crime dramas of all-time. I watch S5 season opener and this is were Kono was replaced by Ben. There was no mention to what happen to Kono or to how Ben joined the team. I am very surprised the studio did not do a better job with introducing new characters and/or saying goodbye to old characters. The only time it appears there was a tribute is when Chin Ho Kelly was killed and McGarrett was on a mission to solved the case for Chin. There was nothing done when Danno left and that was another surprised to me how they would not have woven a story to what happen to Danno, i.e. he joined the FBI or he moved up the ranks of the Honolulu PD.

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
MattPeriolat said:
Call me morbid and I think it's unlikely, but I'm very curious to see if "Bored, She Hung Herself" will ever get released on DVD. I know it's a pretty notorious episode and the liklihood is slim, but I'd love to see it, just as a novelty.
Keeping that episode off of DVD is just plain stupidity; there's no way that people are going to emulate what was seen on that episode, especially one of an older TV show like the original Hawaii Five-O (most people do yoga now, and do it safely); it's time for the ban to end. Besides, an episode of the recent show had a decapitation in the opening teaser.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Sky Captain said:
Keeping that episode off of DVD is just plain stupidity; there's no way that people are going to emulate what was seen on that episode, especially one of an older TV show like the original Hawaii Five-O (most people do yoga now, and do it safely); it's time for the ban to end. Besides, an episode of the recent show had a decapitation in the opening teaser.
i have to agreed with you that episode should have been included as there has been a long-time since the episode was aired. People try to duplicate the jackass stunts and/or other stunts all the time and i do not see those stunts banned from tv. Social media has taken over the air space with people posting stupid stunts via youtube. I think if you put a disclaimer about the episode that should be sufficient. Let's face facts that people will do stupid things irregardless if something is aired or not.

Dave Farley

Second Unit
I think this episode should have been included as well. It can't be a content-related "ban" by CBS/Paramount when you consider all the deaths, murders, and suicides we see on shows like the new H50, the CSI's, NCIS, and the like. This episode is tame by today's standards and would have been tame 20+ years ago.
Pure conjecture:
I think the ban is due to one of two reasons. One possibility is a legal settlement with the family of the person who killed himself. Another possibility is that Leonard Freeman just banned it himself and his wife, Rose Freeman, has upheld the ban over the years. CBS/Paramount then agrees to the ban out of respect for the Freeman's or due to a legal agreement with Rose Freeman/estate of Leonard Freeman. That agreement, if it exists, could even extend past Rose Freeman's death this past March. She supposedly said this 16 years ago at a convention:
In 1996, Rose Freeman, widow of Five-O creator Leonard Freeman, told attendees that within a day or two of the episode airing somebody tried to duplicate the trick — and killed himself in the process. Mrs. Freeman said the decision was made there and then that the episode would never be shown again.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
It is sad that is position by freeman family on the episode. However, it is 2012 now and we have seen many things via jackass or youtube with people doing stupid things. If you have a disclaimer that you are not responsible then that should be sufficient.
If we were so upset about views of tv then shows like married with children, all in the family, maude, etc would never be released on dvd and in some cases all those shows are now on dvd.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I watch an amazing episode with Rich Little as person who went on to kill drug dealers. He was amazing, especially at the end of the episode when he did his impressions. The episode reminded me of the John Davidson episode on Streets of San Francisco, who's character had a split personality.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I watch S11/Ep 10 with Sharon Farrell in split personality role. I am surprised Sharon Farrell was not given more accolades for her performance as it was very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks