What's new

Hawaii Five-O - Any Interest Out There? (1 Viewer)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks for the heads up Mark. I always liked this show.

The remastering of 5-0 episodes is a cause for concern because they were remastered to a syndication (cut) length. Hopefully Paramount will restore the cuts before issuing to DVD.

Steve

Joe*R

Stunt Coordinator
What great news!!! I have always been a huge fan of this show and although it is early to get excited, at least there is a chance for a 2006 release. Hopefully Paramount can restore the rest of the episodes that were not remastered.

BOOK'EM DANNO!!!!!!

Jeff#

Screenwriter
When I used to live in New Jersey, a local station WTXF from Philadelphia, PA used to rerun Hawaii Five-O seven days a week. This was in the early 1990s and guess what? They reran ALL 274 (approximate) episodes uncut (50 minutes) with limited commercial interruption and they were remastered as well! So I don't know what you guys are typing about regarding that. I've seen the episodes filmed from the first 1st through 12th seasons and they always looked great -- sharp, crisp film prints that Viacom cleaned up many years ago for several reissues in syndication!

WWOR reran the remastered prints of the series too, although unfortunately they edited several minutes out of it, and sometimes put commercials in the wrong places.

There is just one episode missing though if it even exists: "Bored, She Hung Herself" is the only one I've never been able to find other than in print. That was in an episode guide for Hawaii Five-O.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Jeff, thanks for your comments. The cause of concern that several have posted about comes from Paramount's own website (the syndication bible). Here are the Relevant portions:

"The complete Hawaii Five-O package currently contains 283 episodes. Viacom had previously sold a package of 282 episodes that was split into two groups: Hawaii Five-O (200 episodes) and New Hawaii Five-O (82 episodes.) Beginning in September 1997, Hawaii Five-O was repackaged as a single group of 175 episodes; 174 culled from the original 282, plus 1 episode that was previously unavailable (one other episode, 6916 "Bored, She Hung Herself", remains unavailable.) These 175 episodes (referred to as Hawaii Five-O 175 Digital) have been digitally re-mastered. The remaining 108 episodes are also available, but they have not been re-mastered."

"The syndication version of Hawaii Five-O 175 Digital has six two-minute breaks and a standardized program runtime of 46:30. "

You can find a lot more info in the "series" section of http://www.paramounttv.com/

Steve

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Yesh, I remember the previous syndication package for Five-) from the 1980s and those were the ones missing a number of episodes. As for the complete package, I say 274 as opposed to 284 episodes because there were at least a dozen 2-parters over the years, and many of them were actually 2 hour shows. If they originally aired as 2 hour shows then then are really one episode rather than split into two for syndication. Not a big deal really! :)

Jeff#

Screenwriter
So any news on exactly when in 2006 that Hawaii Five-O is scheduled to be released? :star: :star: :star:

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Me too, Duane, and that goes for all of the 2 parters plus the 2 hour season premieres. Also, the 3 part "V is for Vashon" from the fourth season.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
The Paramount site has been recently updated to reflect the fact that 209 episodes are now digitally remastered instead of 175 (see below):

Effective July 2005, 34 additional episodes were digitally re-mastered and edited for syndication. This changed the totals to 209 Digital and 74 non-digital.

Upon further investigation, EVERY episode from seasons 1-4 have now been remastered (prior to this development, some had not been). This bodes well for a DVD release of at least the first several seasons. Why would they add more remastered episodes to the syndicated TV package when they already have 175 to run and this new batch will most likely not result in higher ratings? I think it was in anticipation of a complete season DVD release. And who's to say that there isn't an uncut set of freshly-remastered prints sitting at Paramount, from which cut-up syndicated prints for TV have been struck and un-cut prints can be authored for DVD.

We can only hope...

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Counting 2 hour season premiers as ONE episode (because they were when on CBS originally), there are 272 episodes of Hawaii Five-O, including the one I've never seen "Bored, She Hung Herself". Why wasn't that syndicated anyway?

When I saw them all of the seasons again in 1990s reruns, and they were all remastered prints even then.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
The late 80's/early 90s reruns were the first full 283 episode set, transferred to video as opposed to the grainy/choppy/faded 16mm/35mm prints that were previously used in syndication.
In 1997, the prints were digitally remastered by Paramount, making the colors even more vivid than the set you are referring to.

"Bored She Hung Herself" was left out of the package as it was a controversial episode that aired only once (in 1969) and was pulled afterwards following an incident in the news where a young man hung himself, as depicted in the episode, and died (in the episode, the person does this as a form of meditation and does not die). Hopefully it will resurface on DVD!

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Lucky me, i can watch episodes of this show here locally. They seem to be stuck running the same 3 or 4 years. The picture would look great, except for the low power station that shows it. Jack Lord was one smooth guy.

Kenneth V

Stunt Coordinator
Book 'em Dano. Murder One!

Hawaii Five-O needs to be released. I would also buy all 12 seasons of this great cop show. On a different site people have bought the dvdavenue.tv copies of the show and say it contains every episode in very good condition. Even Bored She Hung Herself is in good condition. I don't know about the quality myself...I would rather wait to see Paramount's remastered episodes!

Hurry up Paramount and release Hawaii Five-O!

Van594

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
I'm very happy about this but also a little unsure...I mean really, what are the odds they release all 12 seasons?. Most of the better episodes are in later seasons. I'm thinking a best of set would have been better...I guess we shall see.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

I disagree. I think the first 4-5 seasons were by far the best, which is the case with every show I can think of. This was a great show but it went on too long. I stick by my contention that the ideal run for any series is 3-5 seasons. But once Kono left it was downhill IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks