What's new

Hawaii Five-0 (the revival series): Season Three (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Pretty good for Peter Weller to be playing the bad guy AND directing the episode. Not that it is all that unique: many TV stars direct episodes of their own shows, but a guest star coming in and doing it was kind of unexpected, for me anyway.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
The only part of this show that bugs me is when they insist on playing that goofy theme every time the boys start their inane goofy Man Bromance Banter, it's like the audience is too stupid to get this is supposed to be comedic so they need that goofy music to drive home the point, it just bugs the living crap out of me.

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes
I have noticed the same thing, playing the banter music so that we will know that it is banter time and the characters are are going to engage in banter (I am being assubtle as the writers and producers) in most of the cop shows on network TV. My daughter likes NCIS, NCIS LA, Elementary, and Rizzoli and Iles, and all have variations on the banter music. Personally, one of my gripes about cop shows now is that there are two many characters who are written to be CHARACTERS. Is Hawaii one of the states where gay marriage is legal? Because McGarrett and Dano squabble like an old married couple. I think the producers and writers watched my parents on car trips. Jack Lord and James MacArthur never squabbled, they just took care of business.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I've been avoiding this thread because I haven't seen the recent episodes and wanted to avoid spoilers. I did catch these posts about the squabbling bits between McGarrett and Danno. I have to agree. Yet it's probably the current fashion to do this for lighthearted moments, perhaps it's a way to distinguish from the original no-nonsense approach. I am curious to see what they have going with Wo Fat, so I'll try to catch up on recent episodes. Yet, I am finding its not as compelling as it was for me to catch up. Which makes me wonder if this series is still doing well in the ratings.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Nelson Au said:
I've been avoiding this thread because I haven't seen the recent episodes and wanted to avoid spoilers. I did catch these posts about the squabbling bits between McGarrett and Danno. I have to agree. Yet it's probably the current fashion to do this for lighthearted moments, perhaps it's a way to distinguish from the original no-nonsense approach. I am curious to see what they have going with Wo Fat, so I'll try to catch up on recent episodes. Yet, I am finding its not as compelling as it was for me to catch up. Which makes me wonder if this series is still doing well in the ratings.
From what I've heard it's not doing too well in the ratings but CBS has financial reasons (rerun deal with cable network) to keep it going for at least 4 seasons. Which makes the recent renewal for a fourth season not too surprising. On the other hand, with so many hits, maybe CBS can keep a not-so-big hit going for awhile. Time will tell.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Matt Hough said:
Pretty good for Peter Weller to be playing the bad guy AND directing the episode. Not that it is all that unique: many TV stars direct episodes of their own shows, but a guest star coming in and doing it was kind of unexpected, for me anyway.
Reminds me somewhat of "Operation: Petticoat" the 1977 sitcom version of the 1959 Cary Grant/Tony Curtis movie. John Astin was hired to direct the two-hour pilot and for some reason the lead actor was gotten rid of somehow (can't remember the details). So they just hired Astin to be the lead and the director. Unfortunately for the second season ABC fired most of the actors (including Jim "Ernest' Varney and Tony Curtis' daughter Jamie Lee along with Astin) and premiered a new version that lasted only 10 episodes most of which were buried in the summertime.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Matt Hough said:
I don't think that's a first. Didn't one of the Law & Orders do this several years ago? Or was it Crossing Jordan?
NBC did it with Matlock back in 1988 ("The Hucksters") but it was sort of a cop-out in that there were three suspects and a witness to the crime. The witness was put on the stand at the end and Matlock proves he is a witness and just asks him who he saw do the murder. After a commercial break, there was a tag to the episode in which the witness says who he saw. Nothing else about the three versions was any different to suggest a different killer. Of course there was no internet or twitter polling back then, viewers just called in their preferred murderer to different phone lines.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Dave Scarpa said:
Geez are they running out of Ideas already, first they had that Internet pick the ending episode, now tonight they are remaking the Classic 3rd Season H5O episode Hookman.
The new version was in the third season but the original was in that show's 6th season, the season premiere in 1973.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Wiseguy for your reply to my question about whether H5-0's ratings were doing okay or not. That's nice that CBS is keeping it on to make enough episodes to syndicate it on cable. (Of course its not really kindness, its business) Perhaps they can make enough little fixes to the show to get better ratings in the coming episodes and next season. I think the show isn't bad, though I have to admit I have not been watching recently. The advent of catching up on missed episodes through the CBS website is a nice thing.

It is amusing it's such a showcase for Microsoft and Chevy. I don't mind the cars, the original was sponsored by Ford. But the Microsoft bits seems really in your face.

Perhaps they could move the show to another timeslot? ABC has a powerhouse Monday nights, and I like Castle more then the reimagined H5-0.

Edit: I missed the Hook Man episode. I thought the original was really good, so it will be interesting to see this new version.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
It wouldn't surprise me to see CBS move Hawaii Five-O to Tuesdays at 10 and put the new NCIS spinoff on Monday at 10.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks