What's new

HAWAII (1966) Roadshow vs. General Release Version (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, the next version of HAWAII that I'll buy will have to be in HD. Until then, I'll have to make do with the laserdisc.

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
MatthewA said:
Is this another situation where MGM/UA mishandled the source material? I hope not.

I don't know, but seeing how they mishandled The Alamo, I wouldn't be surprised if they did. I would be more miffed and PO'd at that.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Who in the hell has the release rights to this film. I cannot find out anything.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
trajan said:
Who in the hell has the release rights to this film. I cannot find out anything.
MGM controls the rights. According to Mr. Lime they have made a deal with an outside label but not Kino. My thought is Twilight, but there has been no confirmation. It s not Shout's kind of title, but Criterion could be the company. It seems so much a Twilight kind of film. Great musical score and if MGM is able to put a 4K of the Roadshow version together it fit Twilight. I would be among the first people to order it.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
I'm surprised and happy that someone else has the rights now. It will be interesting to see what version they can come up with as I understand the footage that was cut out is in terrible shape and that is why the DVD was the shorter version. I particularly like the first half of this movie. Falls apart a bit in the second half as there is less of Ms. Andrews, but it would be a definite purchase for me. After all the talk about THE SOUND OF MUSIC I am in a big Julie Andrews phase.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I think HAWAII is a fairly good film, primarily for Max Von Sydow and the actress who plays the Hawaiian queen. Andrews is fine too but I think her role was poorly written. This was shot in 35mm and did have some roadshow engagements in 70mm blow up prints. I believe some of the previous threads indicated that the soundtrack was never anything but mono sound. Properly mastered it could be impressive. I saw a recent MGM HD showing did not look that great though. But.... the score for me is the best thing by far about the movie.

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
The actress who played the Hawaiian queen was Jocelyne LaGarde, who was nominated for the Best Supporting Actress Oscar for her performance - it was her only appearance on film as far as I know.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Kino says that someone else has Hawaii. My guess is that someone is Twilight Time. It was one of the titles I asked about and they repleyed " don't give up on any of them". I wonder what condition it is in. Someone here asked Kino if HAWAII is another ALAMO and they said no. So I do have some hope for this release.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Does anyone know what the Preview length was for HAWAII? I remember seeing it in Minneapolis, back when that was a favored city for Previews, and it did seem to go on pretty much forever. I'd be intrigued to know how much was eliminated before the Roadshow Version was set.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
atfree said:
All I can find says 189 minutes, cut to 162 later.
Yep AFI Film Catalog gives the running time of 189 minutes. It however does not give the General Release running time.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
PODER said:
Does anyone know what the Preview length was for HAWAII? I remember seeing it in Minneapolis, back when that was a favored city for Previews, and it did seem to go on pretty much forever. I'd be intrigued to know how much was eliminated before the Roadshow Version was set.
Like you I saw Hawaii in a preview months prior to its opening. And it did feel like it went on forever. Unfortunately, I don't recall any additional scenes not included in it's original 189 minutes version.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I was pleasantly surprised the Twilight Time release is priced at $29.95. I thought for sure, with two versions of the movie, it would be priced at 36.95, but I see it is a single disc versus Major Dundee's 2-disc set.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
We watched the Twilight Time General Release version of HAWAII last night, and were very impressed. I wish we could have watched the

Roadshow version, but just a few seconds showed that the condition was pretty grim. I know it's far from a perfect solution, but why

couldn't the Blu-Ray have been used as the basis, with the extra material shown "as is"?

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I imagine that the newer, though unrestored, HD master next to the SD Laserdisc master scenes presented in anamorphic 1080p would be extremely jarring.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Dr Griffin said:
I imagine that the newer, though unrestored, HD master next to the SD Laserdisc master scenes presented in anamorphic 1080p would be extremely jarring.

Agreed, that never works.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks