What's new

Have you reached the "point of diminishing returns" with your speakers? (1 Viewer)

EdNichols

Second Unit
In other words, do you feel that you have reached the point where nothing, for the money, has sounded better than what you have? If so, what are your speakers, what are you driving them with, and what other speakers have you compared them with?

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Klipsch RF-7's... no better.... no other decisions for me. I don't own them but I know someone who does and let me say they will make your ears bleed on only a 50W amplifier... not to mention the sound was great. All I can say is if you want the best look for every flagship model that companies offer you.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
"...let me say they will make your ears bleed on only a 50W amplifier..."

That would be from how bright they are. :D

RichardHOS

Second Unit
I have a pair of Magnepan 2.7/QR actively biamped with 700 wpc. Considering that they were $1000 used, I doubt I could find a much more agreeable speaker for the price.

Still, I plan on upgrading to 3.6/R's in the immediate future, and that will represent roughly a 3X cost increase for what I feel is perhaps only a 10% to 20% improvement in sound.

At that point, I believe my only option to achieve better sound for the same money would be the DIY route, and that is certainly in the plans for later next year.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
No, and I don't think I ever will, even if I spend thousands of dollars in the far future. There will always be something new to try.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
I think I'm at a point where I can hold off buying new speakers for a while. My last setup lasted 4yrs(Paradigm Mini Monitors/CC350/PS100). The new setup should last longer(Paradigm Studio 40/20/CC470 all v3). Its time to start thinking about transforming my basement into a dedicated HT room.

Kevin

Kevin T

Screenwriter
gershman acoustic avant garde rx-20. they whip the pants off of my old mirage frx-7 (which coincidentally nobody seems to want to buy). they list for almost 5k so i seriously doubt i find anything that sounds better until i drop twice that amount (which i'm not willing to do).

kevin t

John Robert

Stunt Coordinator
I have Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t in front and IL50 in back - all powered! Took a while to dial it in with a separate sub (No more 5.1 - I'm at 5.5!!!) but now I'm very happy with it. It replaced a Polk Lsi setup I had for 2 yrs.

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
As long as there are forums to sell this stuff used, I'm sure there is always a deal that one of us here will be willing to snatch up to upgrade... I'm currently working on completing my Paradigm Studio set but I'm sure I'll be moving forward sooner than later!

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Very loaded question, that might actually have more impossible variables to answer then "Best Speaker", but I can say for my tastes, my ears, my decor, and my budget (more factros could be listed) I am done with speakers. My J.M. Reynaud Offrandes are the bomb baby!:D

I slightly crave more expensive amps, cables, turntables, cd players, power conditioners, and cartridges but with speakers not even a tinge.

Now I will say if I become more wealthy in the future (hurry up future), I wouldn't mind purchasing some change of pace speakers like Konus Audio Essence's, Beauhorn Virtuoso's, Cain&Cain Abby's, and Audio Note AN-K SE's. Not because they are better, but because they will have a different presentation and all are more efficient, so that I could use smaller wattage tube amps then I currently can.

Scott_N

Second Unit
Well I have Tetra Spaces and I love the way they image. They have a very open and spacious sound with very tall images and a wide and deep stage. But if I had the money then Kharma Ceramique Reference Monitor 3.2's would be my choice.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I am totally satisfied with my HT setup. For music, there is room for improvement but the cost is too high (especially compared to what I get from my headphone system). Eliminating the room makes a huge difference!

Check my profile for an equipment list...

DanaA

Screenwriter
Yep, I'm extremely satisfied with my ACI's (Essence center, Sapphires front, and on-wall Emeralds rear). Went to hear some well reviewed speakers this weekend costing much, much more than the ACI's and none bested them imo. Simply great speakers and I have no itch whatsoever to move onto anything else.

Jason.Soko

Stunt Coordinator
There is always something better than what you have. Soon as it comes out, or you listen to it, or view it then the addiction starts all over again. Case closed.

DanaA

Screenwriter

Perhaps, if this was a thread on "Do you own the best speakers ever made?"

However, as it is a thread on whether you've reached the point of diminishing returns, it is moot. I do get your point however that, for some, the urge never leaves. Nonetheless, for others, contentment has been achieved.

EdNichols

Second Unit
I don't doubt what some of you are saying. Yes, there will always be bigger and better out there. BUT, my question is, is it worth it to spend that much more? Will another $5k only get you 5% better sound? Have you reached that point and if so what speakers do you own.

Jason.Soko

Stunt Coordinator
While my Totems are amazing, their flagship line is double the price at $10,000 and they are unbeleivable. Are they worth it? Certainly, if I had an extra 10g's laying around right now.

David*RT

Stunt Coordinator
I have VMPS RM40s. What more do you need than a speaker design w/ siblings that have won CES Best Product of the Show (over 30,000 products) the last two years in a row?

I'd say the law of diminishing returns stops pretty much at the RM40.

After all, how many $4.5k speakers do you know that best $20,000+ towers from highly touted manufacturers?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks