What's new

Have you ever bought a set cause of the price? (1 Viewer)

Rodrick

Second Unit
I was in Costco and they had a coupon sale on various tvshowsondvd. The regular price they had it at were all $19. With coupon you get $5 off.

I own Friends, Mash, also they had some Raymond seasons, and various others.

I bought 4 seasons of REBA. I asked a lady there who was looking also she said the best deal was to pick up all 4 seasons of REBA. She said Id then have the entire series.

Is this correct? Was Reba only 4 seasons?

This lady bought individually 3 seasons of Sex in the City and some Friends seasons she liked.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I picked up the first three seasons of Hogan's Heroes this week while running an errand for my Mother. She sent me to Sam's Club to get some Groceries and I noticed they had them on sale for $18.88, so I got them!:D

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
several times... the latest was when I bought the classic pirates series The Buccaneers: The Complete Series (39 Episodes) for only $6.58 on the deepdiscount 20% off sale.

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
Absolutely. I bought the entire ``Buffy'' and 10 seasons of ``M*A*S*H'' last year thanks to Amazon's Fox TV on DVD sale, as well as five seasons of ``The Simpsons''. I also bought all seven seasons of ``Star Trek: TNG'' from a similar sale from Amazon last year, and purchased all four seasons of ``The Dead Zone'' when the set prices went down to $19.99 per. This year, I purchased the entire ``X-Files'' series, all of ``That '70s Show'' released to date (except for S6), and the ``Angel'' series from Amazon's Fox TV on DVD sale. Most definitely, I'll often jump on TV DVD purchases when their prices hit attractive levels.
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Picked off Season 5 of Miami Vice @ CC Today. It was on sale for $31.00 and I saw it was tagged at $49.99 so I decided I'd better get it to complete the Series! :D

Rodrick

Second Unit
Wow Reba has 2 more seasons. I am enjoying it so much. The First 4 seasons.

I think I will continue to collect them. I hope they are cheap.

I bought these sets blindly cause it was very inexpensive.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
You should have gone to Best Buy. Last week they had it so if you picked up 2 season sets at once, it was $50 total.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
the last season of Reba was only a half-season, but it does in fact have a series finale and everything. Would be interesting to see if Fox packs seasons 5 and 6 together or separately

Haden

Supporting Actor
I bought Buck Rogers: The Complete Series for $19.95 at Walmart only because of that price and the nostalgic trip of seeing the old show again with adult eyes. I would have NEVER paid more than $20 for this series, but $19.95 is like a regular movie price and I couldn't pass that up. I'm still amazed by how much it's marked down at Walmart. Wasn't its original retail price like $50-$70?

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Corey3rd, I would have done that except for one thing. They had that same special earlier this year when Seasons 3 & 4 came out! I got the first four Seasons on 'Vice for $100.00. :D This time I only had season 5 to buy. All in all a great deal!:emoji_thumbsup:

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
I picked up Remington Steele s1 for $5.99. I loved the show, but don't think I'd re-watch it all that often. For $5.99 though, definitely worth watching through at least once and I have a family member or two who will probably borrow it as well.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

I think I paid $63 when I pre-ordered it from Amazon three years ago. I picked up another copy of it in the DD sale, just to have a spare (I actually still enjoy the show).

Recently I bought season 2 of 24. it was on sale for $18 and in the slim packs. Since I never saw the first season either, of course I had to pick that up too. Normally I owuld have been content to wait on these since I have such a backlog of stuff to watch, but that $2 savings on S2 was just too hard to pass up (I'm penny wise/pound foolish)

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
I had taken advantage of the 3&4 release. This time I was able to hook up with a pal who had missed the first sale so I bought 5 for myself and 3 for him. He bought 4&5.

I've picked up a couple shows because they were part of 2 for 1 deals that I didn't really watch when they first aired: Sledge Hammer and Titus.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I've done this many times, especially on import titles once they hit the 50-60% off (or greater) threshhold on AmazonUK. Just ordered Respectable, Fun at the Funeral Parlour and The Book Group: Series 1.

On the US, side of things, I recently took advantage of the Amazon sale to snag Boston Legal: Season 2, a show I really like, but would never pay full sticker price for. Also, I often wait for DDD sales to snag episodes of Classic Doctor Who or to get sets of other shows that I remember liking from my youth, but haven't seen in awhile or consider a low priority (like I did with Soap, Three's Company and others).

I'll sometimes even buy some shows used if the price is right. Last year, I bought the recent remake of Night Stalker at a local video store, but only because it was $10. I'd never have bought it otherwise. Oh, and bought Boston Legal: Season 1 for $20, to go with my already-ordered Season 2 (odd, that Amazon didn't have that one on sale as well).

Due to markdowns, I never pre-order anything these days. I think I paid $45 for that Buck Rogers set, for instance, when it came out, and almost as much for the Alien Nation set. Now, to see those marked down to $20 each, I know I'll be waiting for a big sale before I buy the Alien Nation: Movies set that's due out this summer. No way am I going to buy this when released when I know I'll probably be able to get it for $20 sometime next year. I also know never to preorder anything released in the UK by Network Video, as it will likely be marked down to half off (or more) within six months to a year...

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Well, of course! If it's a real bargain, I'd buy a show as a blind buy. And if I don't like it, I can always sell it online!

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
Rock-bottom deals were how I got into "Gilmore Girls" and "Smallville." $19.99 for the respective 6-disc sets seemed like a steal whether or not I was actually going to enjoy the respective shows.

dancingwater

Agent
Real Name
Daniel
Brought Season 5 of Smallville late last year and was about 35.95 but you get a 5 dollar Target gift card as well. Could not pass that up

dancingwater

Agent
Real Name
Daniel
Oh and a lot of members here are selling unopened box sets of shows for a great price in the software trade section.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks