What's new

Have you ever been so upset by?.... (1 Viewer)

xfile94

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jennifer Colbert
I still get angry over Invasion--I don't watch very much new TV because it just gets canceled. Heroes gives me hope--that's my new favorite--and I don't think that's going anywhere soon!

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
There have been many, but none that angers me to this day like EZ Streets. And it also had the indignity of getting 3 random eps on a DVD release ("Brilliant But Cancelled") instead of the full short run.

MikeMO

Stunt Coordinator
Can't the networks come up with a better way to handle TV? I understand it's a business, I really do, and yet at the same time, I am getting upset that I will get invested into a show to only have it gone after three weeks.

And I know these actors get paid, even for unaired pilots, but good Lord, something needs to be done about the way things are handled. I remember a report a few years back talked about all the pilots NBC shot that they paid for that DIDN'T even air. Then, how many shows they eventually ended up cancelling. It just seems like a very flawed business.

Not to mention the fact that I can't imagine that they can count the ratings numbers accurately. Sure, maybe only 10 million people tune into Family Guy each week...but how many people get together with their friends and watch it at their house? How many kids cram into a college dorm or TV lobby and watch it as an group? I bet there are tons of shows like that where, if those numbers were incorporated, it would bring the overall viewing numbers up, too.

But I think some shows like "Day Break" or "Freaks and Geeks" are just too good to be thrown away and never to be given a second chance. Personally, I don't know how to go about fixing how TV is handled, but it needs to be addressed. Because us viewers are losing out.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Deadwood.

Surprised at my unflagging bitterness, since I have never before taken providers broadcasting choices this personally. Bothered when reading several of Chris Albrecht's flippant remarks regarding Deadwood
Albrecht made the preceding remark in context to questions about HBO’s future plans for changing technology, but it struck me as pertinent to recent years trends in HBO’s programming decisions, and I have to ask Albrecht what are you trying to be to the viewer when you rivet my attention so negatively?

Vindictively, [I admit] I intend to avoid Baywatch on Crack, the only recourse available. :laugh:

MikeMO, your post made me reflect. In past, I tended to just turn on the tube and watch whatever caught my fancy or I had Tivoed, now I find I am beginning to take active (if ineffective) steps attempting to gain some sense of satisfaction or control over broadcasters who bug me.

Three recent instances I can think of:
- Refusing to watch ABC’s news, since they drove animated ‘coming up at 10:00’ video’s over LOST
- Refusing to give Daybreak a shot since I was unhappy with the divided LOST season.
- Will be refusing, John from Cinninatti

....the extremist mentality rampant in Home Theater circuits, must be rubbing off on me!... :laugh:

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter

I've decided to do the same thing, and will wait for the 1st season of the new shows on DVD.

I just couldn't take it anymore when the rug got pulled right under me, so many times this season.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I have to admit, though, seeing a thread pop up reminding me of Carnivale makes me miss that show. That was a carefully crafted, inventive, different program that was at times terrifying to watch, and at times so encouraging for what you hoped would happen. One of the best ensemble casts of any show I can remember.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
I can think of a few shows now that SHOULD be cancelled! LOL!

As for ones I was bummes about being cancelled:

Freaks and Geeks: Such a great show. They could have really gone somewhere with this series after Lindsay and Kim returned from their road trip. I still think about how things would have turned out with this show. I loved it.

Roswell: I am atleast grateful they ended it properly.

Seinfeld: It's my number one favorite show.

todd s

Senior HTF Member

It's amazing how many of these shows that are crap and that even do horrible in the ratings. Yet, last for multiple seasons. :rolleyes

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
Count yourselves fortunate that none of you were within about a mile of my place when my brother found out Dark Angel was cancelled!

I agree, wholeheartedly with the cliffhanger complaint. Either give the producers enough time to come to SOME sort of conclusion or give it another half season to resolve. Even a mini series, or two hour movie would be acceptable.

I wonder what studios would do if we ALL made good on our threats to never watch such and such a network again, in retaliation for cancelling or screwing up our favorite albeit short lived shows?

Michael Gunde

Auditioning
I'll NEVER forgive HBO for cancelling Carnivàle. In fact I haven't really watched HBO since.
Makes me more sad than angry though.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

This bugs me as well. While I *know* that Serenity could serve as a finale for Firefly, there's simply a ton of stories that could be told.

I still ache over Firefly and would love the opportunity to support the show through direct-to-DVD offerings.

And I think that will be the medium that will sustain these niche shows. Stargate SG1 looks to be going this route (which I hope is successful if for no other reason that it would inspire others to try it - although I really like the show)

My next choice would be Quantum Leap. Last episode took it to a new level for me. I hear rumors that Sci-Fi might be trying to revive it. If so, I hope Scott Bakula is involved.

To a lesser extent - Enterprise (which would conflict with QL), Farscape (didn't watch until season 4; love it), and an obscure entry, The Phoenix.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Pretty soon we'd run out of channels to watch -- I'm sure every single network is "guilty" of having cancelled one show or another that was a favourite.

The most egregious cliffhanger complaint in recent memory IMHO is John Doe. Having set up such an amazing cliffhanger, the show got canned. Grrrr...

I think we've discussed this before in another thread specifically about cliffhangers, I recall suggesting that producers shouldn't be allowed to set up such cliffhangers unless they had a treatment for its resolution already available, and that in event of cancellation, the treatment be released on the DVDs, or just plain on the internet, so fans could at least read what they had in mind for the story's resolution. Oh well, wishful thinking.

(Oddly, one gripe I had was about Earth 2's cancellation, but someone pointed me to a site which discussed what the producers had in mind for S2, which I didn't like at all...)

todd s

Senior HTF Member

Yee, Like I have mentioned in another thread. The producers of John Doe were going to explain more. But, were told by Fox execs to hold back since they were getting renewed....And we saw that worked out.

KieranO'C

Agent

Well recently the BBC adapted the remaining three books into three very good radio series. They attempt to reconcile the events of the books and the second radio series...fairly well too!

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I know about that - and have heard the Tertiary Phase (but not the last two).

But the truth is, it was a frustrating explanation, as it essentially dismisses most of the Secondary Phase, and doesn't actually resolve that cliffhanger, more just allows you to ignore it. It does reconcile the two, but it's not how Douglas Adams would have carried the story on had there been a third series made at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zionaesthetic
Recent bookmarks