What's new

Have you bought a 4K set yet? Do you see yourself getting one in 2017? (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I know I'm late to this party but man I'm having a terrible time choosing a 4K set. I want 3D included but it seems like Sony is the only one still making it available. I was looking at the 930D but reviews at Amazon complained of bleeding light and clouding issues. And bad 3D.

I wanted a Samsung but they don't do 3D anymore. Also want HDR included. Then I find out there's more than one type of HDR.

I'm willing to spend about $2500. Man this is hard.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I was in the same boat as you until I saw the LG OLED. If you can save a little more money toward a purchase I think you should consider it. I plan on getting my tv(55" model) in 3, or 4 weeks. I can report back on the quality then(including the 3D). I can't wait:)
81eNl5xr2SL._SL1500_.jpg

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Not a fan of LG and way more than what I want to spend. But thanks anyway.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I checked those out. No HDR.

Looking for 65". HDR. 3D.

Or am I missing something?

Last edited:

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I checked those out. No HDR.

Looking for 65". HDR. 3D.

Or am I missing something?

All 2016 Samsung's have HDR10, No Dolby Vision or 3D (I believe). http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN65KS9000FXZA

If you want both HDR formats and don't want LG then you need to go Vizio, however, no 3D. https://www.vizio.com/p-series

My stance is that HDR10 is good enough as all UHD discs are required to support it. Dolby Vision is optional and honestly my believe is that it maybe streaming only. Be aware I don't believe Vizio supports HDR10 yet, but a firmware update is coming.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
Welcome to one of the scummiest industries out there...the home theater biz. Despite strong sales, mfgrs want you to believe that HDR is "just like" or "as good as" 3D. Don't believe it for a second. Great 2D image but zero depth.

Given your price point and dislike of LG and Sony, your options are limited. It's going to come down to which is preferable...3D or HDR. Given some of the picture enhancements on Samsungs SUHD models (PRO and PURE color, depth enhancements, etc.), offering 64X wider colors, I'd opt for their JS8500 or 9500 model. I haven't compared but it sounds close to HDR.and cheaper than OLED. Given those features, HDR is not a priority on my list and, since the manufacturers seem intent on gimping the sets, I'd personally not even bother with it. Give up the depth. immersion, and 3D improvements for "nicer colors" (especially since Sammy and LG have other aforementioned color enhancements)??? Mmmm...no, not me.

Not sure why you don't like LG. I've found them to be the longest-lasting and problem free sets (compared to Sony and Samsung). In addition, unlike the Samsung which uses active rechargeable glasses, the LGs and Sonys use passive...just as good visually as active (on 4K sets) and light, comfortable glasses (you can even use the 3D glasses they give out at most theaters.) There are even clip-on 3D lenses for those who wear RX glasses.

It's a shame that this industry is putting so many through the wringer (I've spoken to others looking for 3D sets who have been frustrated and pissed about not being able to find an affordable one) but these companies are not consumer-friendly, even when it's profitable. They are more agenda driven.

As for DolbyVision, at least 2 studios have signed on but no BD players offer that. Future models probably will, I only mention this in case you might also consider a UHD player...as it could be the current expensive players are already sort-of obsolete (whenever Dolby discs start appearing.)

In any case, if you truly need both HDR and 3D within the budget and size you prefer, the Sony and the LGs are really your best options.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Anyone own the SONY 930D?
I've read nothing but complaints about the 3D on Sony's 930D. I was going to buy it earlier in the year until one complaint after another was lodged against the heavy crosstalk due to faulty implementation of active 3D on the 930D. If you care about 3D, the 930D is not for you. Complaints to Sony have gone unheeded. They insist crosstalk is the problem of the disc manufacturing, not their TV though the discs play without crosstalk on other models (even earlier Sony models!)

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
Thanks. So passive 3D on 4K sets is 1080P NOT 540P?

That is correct. Y'know, instead of making consumers have to jump through hoops to make an either/or decision, imagine if the companies had some integrity and used the opportunity to endorse BOTH. In addition to their pushing 4K, they could also be yelling "And 3D is now better than ever!" They'd really make a hell of a lot more money...IF they had a clue. So when I read how sales of TVs are falling, I always think "Serves them right." They brought it on themselves.

Last edited:

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
As for DolbyVision, at least 2 studios have signed on but no BD players offer that. Future models probably will, I only mention this in case you might also consider a UHD player...as it could be the current expensive players are already sort-of obsolete (whenever Dolby discs start appearing.)

Even if that does happen it is still required to include HDR10 it is in the spec. So having a TV and player support that is the minimum.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Still searching. So frustrating. Either too expensive. Or no 3D. Or terrible reviews. [emoji35]

DennisBassi

Second Unit
Real Name
Dennis
No 3D is a deal breaker for me. Sony still makes active sets, but I have had reliability issues with Sony and will not buy another. LG is passive and I don't believe it is as good. That leaves me with searching for a 2015 Samsung that supports HDR in addition to 3D and I don't know which models do.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
No 3D is a deal breaker for me. Sony still makes active sets, but I have had reliability issues with Sony and will not buy another. LG is passive and I don't believe it is as good. That leaves me with searching for a 2015 Samsung that supports HDR in addition to 3D and I don't know which models do.

It takes 5min of searching on Amazon to get you some answers...

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN65...17011,p_n_feature_seven_browse-bin:2681328011

There is a chart at the bottom that shows you all the models... Then you just need to find one.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Forgot to add I'm looking for HDR too. With Samsung it's either 2015 3D no HDR or 2016 HDR no 3D. I don't believe they made a set with both. I too almost bought the Sony 930D at a great price ($2400 with a free Samsung UHD player) but all the reviews of terrible 3D and bent frames changed my mind.

Currently looking at LG or just give up on 3D. Still have a great 55" 3D Samsung that looks and works great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks