What's new

Have you bought a 4K set yet? Do you see yourself getting one in 2017? (1 Viewer)

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Thanks for the post and link. I read the article and can tell you it is not correct. Here's my take on this issue.

The simple truth is that all 2016 HDR capable TVs are capable to decode any and all of the 2016 HDR ready TVs and all that’s needed is to pay the HDR license fee and upgrade the TV with a firmware update.

Their is no issue with consumers buying a 2016 HDR capable TV. Just as an example LG’s LCD/LED TVs and their OLED TVs all have the industries highest HDR rating “Premium” and they decode both HDR10 and Dolby Vision HDR. And it’s not because they have any different specs that Sony, Samsung or any other HDR capable TV, it’s strictly a HDR licensing decision.

Sony and all other 2016 HDR capable TVs that have the HDR Alliance’s “Premium” badge are capable (with a firmware update) to decode any HDR format.

-Robert

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Wow Robert, that's wrong as far as I know. There is no way for Samsung and Sony TVs to display Dolby Vision HDR without a chipset update, not just a software one. Where's the disconnect here? What makes you believe something that nobody else is saying, what do you know that we don't? Do you have anything you can point to that confirms this?

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
Wow Robert, that's wrong as far as I know. There is no way for Samsung and Sony TVs to display Dolby Vision HDR without a chipset update, not just a software one. Where's the disconnect here? What makes you believe something that nobody else is saying, what do you know that we don't? Do you have anything you can point to that confirms this?

That is correct, There maybe a chance that Samsung releases a Evolution box with the Dolby Vision chip in it. However, I heard rumor that Samsung may stop doing them. In with case you maybe stuck. Samsung is also fully committed to HDR10 and does not plan on supporting Dolby Vision... Again rumor.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
I've been told by product management that Dolby Vision can be added via firmware and of course license approval.

What authorities have said otherwise? I will verify my understanding and get back.

Last edited:

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I saw this on a article on hometheaterreview. Obviously not a official source but I have found they do a lot of research in their article.

"Dolby Vision is a proprietary end-to-end solution, which means you need Dolby Vision-mastered content played through a Dolby Vision-capable source sent to a Dolby Vision-capable display. The benefit to this approach is that every Dolby Vision display includes a chip that identifies its output capabilities (light output, color space, etc.), which it passes to the DV source so that the source can optimize the DolbyVision signal frame by frame to meet the capabilities of that specific display while still preserving the intent of the original master."

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
OK, I'm here to surrender and apologize. I have checked with the product manager and engineer that I originally spoke with about upgrading 4K HDR "Premium" TVs to decode Dolby Vision and they now officially tell me "no comment".

Not sure if the politics has put this question into the "no comment" category or if technically the current 2016 TVs are not capable to be upgraded to DV HDR. But I can tell you the specs of all 2016 4K HDR TVs that are also 10-bit do match the contrast ratio requirement to tone map DV and display it properly on the TV. I cannot confirm that the chips in the 2016 4K HDR TVs are capable to accept DV metadata with a firmware update.

I'll be at a trade summit next week and I will have one on one meetings with all of the TV manufacturers and I'll report back any updates.

Sorry for causing this dispute.

-Robert

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
No dispute just confusion as that is what I'm reading... Again I hope if Samsung changes coarse and adds DV to their 2017 TVs that they release a Evolution Box to upgrade us older TVs. :)

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
In answer to the OP question--not in the plans unless something fails at home. When I need a new TV, 4K will probably be the only option. As for my projector, it's nearly ten years old (though it only has about 3400 hours on it--2100 on 2nd bulb as first one died prematurely) so it could need replacing earlier than the TV. If so, 4K is likely out of the question at current prices.

If I come into bonus money, though, all bets are off.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
i set up a spare bedroom as a music listening room and gaming area, so i needed a new tv, but the room is fairly small so i just bought a visio 4k set but its only 43", have my Xbox one in it, but the only 4 k source ive seen is a few things from AMazon prime that didnt really impress, its really too smal for me to invest in UHD blu ray, My main set is an LG 50" plasma I bought in 2013 it's still going strong and looks great so i don't anticipate replacing that anytime soon

Stan

Senior HTF Member
i set up a spare bedroom as a music listening room and gaming area, so i needed a new tv, but the room is fairly small so i just bought a visio 4k set but its only 43", have my Xbox one in it, but the only 4 k source ive seen is a few things from AMazon prime that didnt really impress, its really too smal for me to invest in UHD blu ray, My main set is an LG 50" plasma I bought in 2013 it's still going strong and looks great so i don't anticipate replacing that anytime soon

My main TV is "only" 42", but also from LG. About a year and half old and I love it. But as we become more and more spoiled, I regret not having bought a 50".

Perfectly satisfied, but will probably be upgrading to a 4K sometime next year. Then move the 42" into my bedroom, where I currently use a tiny 13" CRT. Which is surprisingly pretty decent. Since I switched my Dish receiver and satellite dish out for the HDTV model, the 13" gets a better signal and picture quality improved a lot.

Just starting to check out 4K sets, but their prices keep coming down, so it's inevitable I get one.

Still look back on when I bought a 36" CRT in the late '90s. Cost me almost $2000. You can get a nice large screen HDTV now for less than $400. Things have certainly changed. Of course by the time I get serious about a 4K set, there will be something bigger and better, so who knows what I'll end up with.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I don't think many here will criticize you, if you are happy with any purchase never look at another review and keep it that way! =)

I've not heard of Sharps supporting HDR so I have avoided them personally because my own wants prioritize HDR support over resolution but if someone else finds a set they love at a good price I'm happy as heck for em!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks