Have I found the correct receiver?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Dudelike89, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Dudelike89

Dudelike89 Extra

Hello and thank you for opening this thread!

I am looking to get a 5.1 surround sound system set up in my families entertainment room. I have a Samsun 52" LCD TV, a Blu-Ray DVD player, an Xbox, and a DirecTV DVR receiver. I know which speakers I want already. I have a good deal on some JBL speakers. I also have speakers setup in many rooms of the house, connected to an amp near the TV. I'm hoping to get a receiver that can handle the surround sound just fine, and also play music around the house when I want it to. I don't want to be watching a movie in surround sound while there is music playing around the house. I've been reading up on A/V Receivers and I just want to be sure that I have found the correct one. Thank you for any help you can offer.

Link to the receiver.

Also, I was wondering if this receiver will turn down the volume during commercials. I've seen some Denons that do, but I'm not sure about this one.

Thanks for all the help.

-Andrew

2. elwaylite

elwaylite Stunt Coordinator

I am not sure on the sound leveling, but I have a AVR-1909 and LOVE it. I have owned Onkyo and Sony previously, and I am sold on Denon quality and sound. One of my big issues with Onkyo was the heat, I could fry eggs on mine.

The HDMI switching is a lovely feature too, and makes it easier for neat wiring. You will get a positive plug from me on a Denon AVR.

The Audyssey speaker calibration, if done correctly (there is a guide online), does a pretty good job too.

3. Dudelike89

Dudelike89 Extra

Sweet. Glad to know that someone really enjoys Denons. You don't happen to know if it will handle the multi-zone seperately do you? I know that It's a 7.1 system, so if I have it set to 7.1 and watch a movie, my whole house would be playing the movie. Instead I want the ability to sometimes play music around the house, and other times watch movies.

4. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    The 891 does have Audyssey Dynamic Volume to reduce the level of volume during commercials and the like. While it does have the Zone 2 feature you can only have a 5.1 in the main room as the Zone 2 uses the Surround Back channels for power. If you still want a 7.1 in the main room then you would need to change the SB amp from Main to Zone 2 and vice versa in the 891's setup menu each time you wanted to change rooms.

5. Dudelike89

Dudelike89 Extra

Thank you!!! If there was a rep system, I'd give you some. This post has helped me finalize my decision on what to buy!