What's new

Haute Tension- outstanding new horror gem! (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Does anyone know where you can buy the uncut Region-Free Korean 2-discer?

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
Matt: I got the Korean 2-disc from HKflix.com. You have to choose title 2 manually for the uncut version. I thought it looked & sounded very good. Unfortunately the 2nd disc (mostly interviews, a bit of behind the scenes) is in French without subtitles. Edit: Oh, and the cover art is terrible!

Gary Palmer

Stunt Coordinator
Optimum released an uncut reg. 2 version of the film on DVD in the UK recently, under the title SWITCHBLADE ROMANCE. 16:9 enhanced (2.35:1 framing), French language with English subs (including the extras), the works. I'm sure this is available from US vendors, though - as usual - you'll have to have a multi-region player.

As I understand it, Lion's Gate have released an edited R-rated print in the US, despite promising last year to issue an uncut NC-17 version. That being the case, it looks like most US viewers will only see the full enchilada when LG releases the uncut version on disc. The film's international owners are clearly aware of how special this movie is, and they've done their absolute utmost to prevent unauthorized versions ending up in the public domain (the French disc has no English translation, various international prints are uncut but dubbed into English, etc.). For those eager to see it, based on all the positive word of mouth - it's definitely worth the wait...

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Except Lion's Gate has become notorious for failing to release uncut versions of films they have the rights to (including ones they've promised to release). Given that Lion's Gate made such a big deal about releasing "Haute Tension" to North American theaters uncut - and then came the inevitable reversal of that decision - this also does not bode well for the eventual DVD release.

It's also my understading that Lion's Gate isn't releasing this to theaters with the original French audio, but rather an English dub. I've read some commentary to the effect that this is no big deal "as there's not really any dialog anyway", which is absurd. One of the great things about this film is the acting, which is several notches above the usual horror film emoting. We get to know the two main characters in the first third via their conversations, and their interactions throughout the middle of the film are perfectly modulated in a way necessary to maintain the tightrope walk between the differing realities of the two characters -- saying more would be spoilerish, but don't buy that whole "there's no dialog" bunkum, and don't shortchange the excellent performances of both actresses in doing so.

Back to the original point... I've got no reason to expect anything worthwhile from Lion's Gate regarding this film, and certainly no reason to assume an uncut/original language DVD. In fact, given their track record in general, I'd expect just the opposite.

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
Two points to mention though I haven't seen the Lions Gate version...I've read the directors comments about the soundtrack. He has indicated from the interview the movie will have BOTH an english dub and the original french soundtrack and he is happy with the results. Evidently, they have made one of the girls into an english speaking character and the other french (and I guess explained this in the film to make sense).

As far as uncut or cut...the Kansas City Star stated the film will be NC-17, which I would assume would be an uncut version?!?

I have seen both uncut and cut and original french and dubbed. As far as me, I didn't really miss much in the cut vs uncut, but not much of a gore hound. I really perfer the french soundtrack to the American dub.

The R2 release is terrific BTW.

Ron

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I agree, and that's even after PAL>NTSC conversion (my monitor won't display PAL). I think this is definitely the release to get, and probably much better than anything we're likely to see from Lion's Gate (though it wouldn't surprise me if some further NTSC options from Korea or HK are released). If you're searching for this disc at amazon.uk, etc., it goes under the name "Switchblade Romance".

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
John Stell:
It's not that the movie takes place inside her head. What we see prior to the cops seeing the video are basically the events from her perspective, which is still at that point split into her normal personality and the killer's. Those events are not her telling the cops her side of the story.

Hope that helps a little.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I just got the Lions Gate DVD today and it does include the French version as well as an unrated English version (according to the back of the case). I'm going to watch it later tonight so I'll report back on what's actually here.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Mixed emotions on the film but as for the DVD.....

I don't have time to go into a full review so I'll just make it quick in regards to the V/A. 2.35:1, 16x9 transfer looks great for the most part. Since I didn't see this in theaters I just have to guess at how it should look and it appears the DVD does the film justice. There's one scene that has an ungodly ammount of grain but again, this appears to be how it was shot. The 5.1 track is one of the best I've ever heard so you can show off your systems with this.

Again, I didn't see the U.S., R-rated cut or any of the DVD releases so I'm not sure what is or isn't cut and I can't compare this DVD to anything. I'll try to explain the different versions included here. You can select which version you want by going to the "Setup" screen. Once there you'll get this:

"U.S. unrated" (in DD 5.1 or 2.0 Surround)
"Original French Language Unrated Director's Version" (in DD 5.1 or 2.0 Surround)
"English Dubbed version" (in 2.0 Surround)

From the setup menu you can also select the director's commentary track. A second commentary track is also included, which gives you a total of seven audio options on this DVD.

An expert on this film will have to explain the differences between the "U.S. unrated" tracks and the "English dubbed version". The two U.S. tracks are dubbed in English but the "English dubbed" version gives us a third track in English. From flipping through all three I couldn't tell a difference. The two French tracks have Spanish and English subtitles.

Again, I'm not an expert on this film but a few things struck me as being odd. For starters, all the tracks are running over the exact same print so there's no differences in whatever language you watch. The title is HIGH TENSION even on the French version, which I believe went by the name HAUTE TENSION. I'm not sure what the other region titles are. Also, during a couple of the scenes there will be English subtitles on the screen yet none of the characters are talking. This happens just as the two girls show up at the house and again later in the film. I'm not sure if this French track is missing some French dialogue or what but this struck me as being a bit odd.

The film appears to be uncut violence wise and runs just over 91 minutes. There are a ton of extras including a making of featurette, trailers and some other goodies.

If anyone has any questions I'll try to answer them but without being able to compare this release to anything it's a tad bit tough. If Justin or anyone can explain any differences between the three English tracks then I'm certainly interested.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Michael -

I only lightly skimmed your post as I passed on this in the theatres after hearing it was cut. I nearly had a heart attack as I thought it came out today!

Can you, or anyone, say what the difference is between the US uncut and the French uncut? I'm a little confused about the whole thing.

- wasn't the US theatrical just an edited overdubbed version? Or was it shown in French with subtitles?
- Since it's just an edited version of a French film, why is it listed as having a US unrated and a French unrated? Isn't that the same thing? Is the US unrated still edited from the French version?
- You'd think they'd just mean it's an english language dubbed version while the other would be in French, but then there's the US dub in 2.0.

-paul

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I'm listening to the commentary right now and the DVD is certainly uncut. I went to all the murder scenes and the director (on the commentary) shows exactly what was cut out of the U.S. release so there's no problem with the DVD being cut. The gore is all here.

I'm still a bit confussed about the subtitle issue and the alternate tracks.

Paul, the DVD is due out on 10/11 according to the press release.

If Matt, Justine, Scott or anyone else wants to borrow my DVD to note the differences to other regions then I'd gladly send it to them.

Edit to add:

From the press release:

...High Tension will be available in a Widescreen Unrated DVD and a Full Frame R-rated DVD. Each version of the DVD will have the capability to be viewed using either the U.S. theatrical release audio, original French audio or an English dub track.

The film has Spanish and English subtitles but the extras only have the English subs. The second commentary track is with the two girls but only runs over select scenes. The DVD introduction is in French w/English subs.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I didn't see the film theatrically in the states, but I do know that it was a hybrid of original French with subtitles and English dubs. I'm guessing the difference between the two unrated versions is that one still contains the dub track, while the French version contains the original audio recording.

Michael,
Are both unrated versions the same running time?

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I saw this in theaters, and as Matt says, it featured a mixture of English dubbing and subtitling. The dialogue between Alex and Marie was mostly dubbed into English, while the rest of the film's dialogue was largely left in French (with English subtitles). The theatrical release also had some violence edited out.

Not having seen this DVD for myself, I would guess that the U.S. unrated version contains this dubbed/subtitled hybrid, but with the complete uncut version of the film, while the English dubbed version is 100% dubbed.

Just a guess. Does this seem correct to those who have the disc?

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Ok, I think I figured it out. :)

The print used has a running time of 1:30:50 including the closing credits. It doesn't matter which audio option you pick because all five play over the exact same print. You can flip through the audio options while you watch it if you'd like. The two "U.S. unrated" tracks are dubbed in English but certain scenes are still in French w/English subs. The scene at the gas station is the only one I noticed that was still in French. The "unrated French director's cut" has the entire thing in French. Then the "English dubbed version" has everything, including the gas station scene, in English.

Seems pretty dumb to dub the rest in English if they didn't do that for the theatrical release.

The disc is certainly "uncut". I guess some might be unhappy that the French version is still called "HIGH" TENSION but the gore is all here.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
watched the uncut version last week.

good horror flick. end makes sense to me i just didnt like it.

plus isnt the art on the cover a huge spoiler

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
The unrated French cut on LG's DVD has subtitles that were added in for the film's theatrical release. Lines that were never in the original version of the film. These lines show up as subs when nobody is seen talking. The lines are:

"We're almost at my parents house, sleepyhead."

and

"My family just moved here 6 months ago, so their french is worse than mine."

Just a FYI.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Ah, good point. I had forgotten that the english dub had made them transplanted Americans instead of French from the city.

Considering the nature of this, I'm really happy with the release. Great set of documentaries (with subtitles too!) and very expansive. However, it doesn't have that absolutely excellent trailer with the Sonic Youth song. Does anyone know if any other DVD has it or is my barely adequate internet copy the only way I'll be able to see it?

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I've been waiting a year to see this (since the thread started)! I passed on the theatrical when I found out it was cut. Finally got to watch it tonight.

I'll spoiler this next comment even tho it's not really about the movie, I just don't want to taint anyone's viewing. This is a "safe to read" spoiler.

The first half made me think it was a reworking of Koontz's novel "Intensity" - it was virtually identical (even the title!), then in the last 20m it goes it's own way. I would recommend that novel to anyone who enjoyed this film. there was also a pretty good TV movie that was a little too long. I don't know if it's on DVD yet.

Now, about the movie itself....

As for the ending, I didn't have a problem with it. But there were some bad storytelling instances. None of these take away from my enjoyment, however:

- The early scene with the killer and the decapitated head should have been inserted around the time Marie is seeing Alex in the shower. Those reflecting back on the film would see it at her becoming aroused and awaking the monster inside her, then it would fit nicely. It would have to be shot at night, of course.

- The killer should make his next appearance at the door of the house, or at the very least immediately before that as he walks up to it.

- Marie's injuries at the start of the film don't match any injuries she recieves during the film. this is unfair to the viewer. They only needed to show the side of her head with the knife slash and it would have served the same purpose and fit the film's events.

- Why is Marie all battered after the reveal when she frees Alex? She wasn't in this condition on the gas station video. She should have been (since we know she didn't really steal the yellow car and the accident never happened). We could rationale that this was just the blood from the family members she killed. The time point where she gets bloody doesn't have to match what happens in reality vs what's happening in her head. As long as she looks the same by the time we actually start seeing the reality it would work. Did that make sense?

- Where did the van come from? If the killer stole the family's truck it would make more sense. This, for me, is the hardest thing to forgive in the movie. When she pulls the saw out of it we can assume it's really her van, yet she rides up with Alex in Alex's car. The van doesn't fit anywhere.

- I don't think the cover art spoils anything, as someone suggests. We know in the first shot that she survives the film and the cover art merely hints at a possible battle.

Loved it, recommend it, just don't think too much about it. Like any horror movie! :)

-paul

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks