Haunted Houses...they just aren't scary anymore

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeAlletto, Oct 28, 2001.

1. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

So I went to a haunted house here in Austin last night. The Nightmare Factory. Talk about lame. Not much jumping out at you, not very dark, just a bunch of sets at different checkpoints. Sometimes it had people in them, sometimes it didn't. Then we had these idiot college kids in front of us with their girlfriends. Jumping at any sound or light or anything! My god! I get more scares walking across a street than I did at this thing. And the kids kept trying to run back the wrong way shoving everyone out of the way...wanted to take a swing at these idiots. And what about length? This think took about 5 minutes if that and cost $10!!! Ten bucks for this!?!?!? There wasn't even any gore! No blood, no guts, nothing.
    ------------------
    Michael Alletto
    Mike's DVD List
    Alletto.com

2. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

Anyone considering going to the haunted tour of the Eastern State Penitentiary in Philly should save their money. I'm pretty sure it's where all of the regions theater students go to die. The scariest part is that they only have about 4 portable toilets instead of real bathrooms. [​IMG]

3. John Miles

John Miles Stunt Coordinator

When the great Lord British stopped doing his (in)famous Britannia Manor productions, the Austin haunted-house business took a decided turn for the worse. [​IMG]
    Hopefully, some sick and twisted dot-com zillionaire will pick up the gauntlet one of these years.

4. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

Mike, the Night Terrors haunted house in the old Hart Graphics building was pretty good. I went tonight. Lots of hacked up bodies, chainsaws and even an Exorcist knockoff of Ryan. (No bloody cross though....) Probably not worth ten bucks either, but sounds better than the one you went to.
    ------------------
    Andrew in Austin

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I worked a haunted house at Linvilla Orchards for Electric Factory Concerts in about 94 (Greg should know where that is). I was a wagon master on the haunted hay ride. We were handed a script that was really, really lame. So you know what we did? We chucked it and wrote our own, so silly and ludicrous that people laughed more than they screamed. You know what? People loved the show. It was hilarious the time when someone's tractor REALLY DID break down in the haunted woods, and me and another guy had to keep it going for about 30min while they fixed it [​IMG]

6. Paul E V

Paul E V Stunt Coordinator

I'm tired of these 'SPOOKY MUSIC' CDs too!
    You know what I blast out of my stereo on Holloween that scares the crap out of people ---- because it's real?
    Whale sounds!!!!
    Yeah! ..... People don't have a clue what it is!
    I had this one girl a few years ago (I had a speaker aimed at the window, echoing off the house across the street) she was walking across the grass and her eyes never left the window until I opened the door --- she looked up at me and said "I SCARED" and then her eyes went back to the window
    ------------------
    'Pioneer 'ing a new level of Home Theater
    My Equipment List / Copper & Rosewood Flexi idea

7. Paul E V

Paul E V Stunt Coordinator

8. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

Last year, a group of us went to a "frat" aka "lame" house where they had a Haunted House going on. It was sooooooo LAME because all I could smell was Polo or Calvin Klein Cologne! I mean, how scary is it when you can smell the person behind a sheet/corner/whatever??
    I think the only real scary thing is that I PAID to do this!
    Frat boys... sheesh!
    ------------------
    "I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
    My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
    My List O' DVDs:
    http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=meshuga

9. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    The worst I ever went to was a haunted hayride a few years back. We got there an hour early, waited in line for close to 3 hours (didn't leave since the tickets were prepurchased and my then fiancee now wife had her baby cousin with us)only to be thrown onto the back of a pickup truck, driven through the woods in freezing cold weather for 15 minutes only to be shown a bunch of sets with no actors because 'they were volunteers, got cold and went home.' The guy would even say that, 'earlier this was REALLLY scary with a chainsaw guy and all, but he went home.'
    Luckily, I live in the Orlando area and Universal's Halloween Horror Nights always deliver. $35 dollars gets you 5 haunted houses (2 were actually great this year, the others were weak), the annual Bill & Ted show and most of the rides are open. With limited attendance it's just great. Tehy even have 3 parts of the park dimly lit and fogged up where people jump out at you to make you scream! Highly reccomended.

10. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Locally, a couple of the corn mazes set themselves up as haunted corn mazes. You're given a light stick if you want it. I didn't go, but the reports I heard were that it was "way better than any haunted house". So, next year I'll probably go.
    ------------------
    They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
    They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
    - Napoleon XIV