What's new

Has tv lost its heart? (1 Viewer)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson

Maybe for you, but that's not at all a part of my criteria.

There is nothing "hidden" about good TV today. It's everywhere -- on networks, on pay cable, and on basic cable. I watch a staggering amount of TV a week, a feat that is only made possible by the DVR. OTOH, I only spend a few hours a month watching movies. Just off the top of my head: Mon - House. Tues - Glee. Wed - Modern Family. Thu - Community/30 Rock/The Office. Sun - Boardwalk Empire. These aren't even my favorite shows, just the ones I watch that are critically acclaimed. There's even more out there that I don't watch. So five days a week of quality TV does not qualify as "hidden gems".

Keep in mind that, due to the multitude of viewing options available and shrinking share that the networks have, shows no longer have to appeal to the lowest common denominator anymore. To me, this is the precipitator of the current Golden Age we are in -- a show won't get canceled because it's not breaking 10 million viewers. Shows are getting by with 4 million viewers, and networks are more likely these days to stick with a critically acclaimed show with low ratings in the hopes that it will break through. Yes, there are still shows canceled before their time. But there are a lot that get greenlit for a second season that would probably have gotten the axe back in the day.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
I would argue that television in the last decade has "closed the gap" and even "surpassed" theatrical motion pictures in terms acting, writing and overall production value.

Three of the shows James pointed to are comedies.

TV since 2001 or so was going for this "dark/gritty" vibe. Many of those shows were stepchildren of "The Sopranos," because that is what audiences were looking for. The networks didn't go quite as dark, but they tried to be a bit edgier.

The past couple of years, we've seen a trend toward somewhat lighter fare (moving away from the tough violence of "The Shield" and "24"). A number of crime drama type shows have been incorporating humor and there seems to be a likable bond between characters.

But if you are looking for current shows with "heart," you need look no further than the following offerings:

Psych

White Collar

Burn Notice

NCIS

NCIS Los Angeles

Hawaii Five-O

Parenthood

Community

30 Rock

The Office

Parks and Recreation

Big Bang Theory

How I Met Your Mother

The Glades

And, to be honest, many reality offerings like "The Amazing Race" and "Ace of Cakes" are a great deal of fun.

I understand having a "nostalgia trip," too. I watch my DVDs of "Magnum, P.I.," and recall what fun it was to be a kid growing up in the 1980s.

As was the case in the past, ratings drive programming.

In 1983, the chief at CBS declared the sitcom "dead."

In 1984, "The Cosby Show" debuted and ushered in an era where half-hour sitcoms dominated for nearly 20 years.

It is all cyclical. But there are still plenty of fun offerings out there.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Originally Posted by Jonny P

I would argue that television in the last decade has "closed the gap" and even "surpassed" theatrical motion pictures in terms acting, writing and overall production value.

I completely agree with this statement.

And getting back on the OP's original question -- yes, there is still "heart" on TV. A lot of my choices are on Jonny's list already, but while it's not my favorite show, Modern Family is one of the "heartiest" shows on TV.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I find the new Hawaii 5-0 to be horrible. Detroit 1-8-7 is pretty good though.

Hannah Montana has messages?

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
The problem with current tv is that realism is key. Shows from the 50's through the 80's(the good ones) were mostly just pure, escapist entertainment fare. Not too complex. They begged you to escape with them for their duration...and most of us did. I am a fan of current television, but just a few sitcoms. The last hour long show that I really enjoyed was Firefly, and that was canceled.

Louis C

Supporting Actor
I was frustrated to see shows like Firefly and Jericho get canceled, but I was gratified to see shows like Lost and 24 prosper. I do not like reality-TV, but I understand it arose from cost-cutting. It was simple business math comprised of lower cost of production versus ad revenue received. That a show like Lost got made at all is close to a miracle.

I am frustrated that viewers validate reality shows with their time, but hey - this is TV after all. As for the current line-up, I like "The Middle." "The Event" has my attention - for now. Occasionally "Castle." I am not finding much else worth watching, but I am open to suggestions. I watch the pay-cable shows (like Dexter) on DVD.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
In the past 10 or so years, I've watched fantastic dramas like 24, LOST, The Sopranos, The Shield, Deadwood, Battlestar Galactica, Alias, Jericho and Justified. In addition to that, I've also enjoyed great sitcoms like Arrested Development, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Office, Parks and Recreation, 30 Rock and Modern Family.

The past decade has offered a lot of great TV, but sadly I'm finding a lot less to enjoy on the tube these days. Hopefully some compelling new shows will emerge, but right now the TV landscape looks pretty bleak.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
I think there are still good shows on television today, but they are few and far between. My pet peeve is that good shows (IMHO) get cancelled before they even have a chance to make their mark, while some of these crappy shows get picked season after season. I honestly don't understand why shows like Ruby and the Rockets gets the axe and yet shows like Jersey Shore and the Bad Girls Club, which do nothing more than than promote stupidity and poor decision making stay on the air. It's frustrating to me.

That said, I am very selective about what I watch. I want good quality programming that will not only entertain but will stick around for a while. Some of the shows that I have been enjoying lately are:

Community: One of the best shows on television right now. Best cast. Best writing.

Raising Hope: Right up there with Community as far as quality goes. A very enjoyable show and cast.

The Vampire Diaries: A great teen drama about vampires and the people who love/hate them. Nice eye candy in the Salvatore brothers.

Glee: Still a good show for the most part. The musical numbers never disappoint. Great cast. Some of the characters storylines are getting a bit boring.

Melissa and Joey: Just a good ol' fashioned family sitcom. Entertaining and great cast. Good chemistry between the main characters.

Survivor: This use to be my favorite show on tv. While I still enjoy the show, over the past few seasons it's started to wind down a bit as far as enjoyment goes. Can get predictable and boring at times. This season I am not really rooting for any one person. Kind of hard to find a favorite out this cast. Still love the location shots and watching all hell break loose at tribal council.

Louis C

Supporting Actor
Almost forgot one current show definitely worth watching: "Mad Men"

Very good writing and cast, and very original story line. Tonight is the season 4 finale. Can't wait...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation483
Recent bookmarks