What's new

Has there ever been a perfect, uncontested DVD? (1 Viewer)

Kevin_M_M

Stunt Coordinator
I read this forum regularly and the main thing you notice here is that no matter what disc is currently under discussion and no matter how good many people think it is, there are always those that give it a "No Sale" for one reason or another. The most common gripes?:

Pan & Scan (The most understandable of the bunch)

A widescreen movie but not in its original aspect ratio

No DTS

No original mono track

Price

Edge enhancement

Colors, soundtrack, etc has been changed in some way (stemming from the two major controversies over Halloween 25th and Day of the Dead that are currently burning up the forum)

No extras

No trailer

Some awesome feature from a previous DVD or Laserdisc edition is missing

Director's Cuts without the original version included

And that's just to name a few, the list could go on and on.

What I'm wondering is if there has ever been a DVD everyone has nearly unanimously agreed has it all and couldn't want for more (until the HD-DVD version that is). I'm not extremely picky about my purchases but I do get swayed by some of the arguments here, so I'm curious. I mean, even the LOTR: FOTR EE got complaints!

Any thoughts?

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Fight Club is the closest to an uncontested DVD I have found on these forums. There will be a moment from now though when someone complains about NO DTS on it. Frankly, I could care less, as it is fine as it is.
I honestly cant think of anything anyone could complain about LOTR EE though. That set is perfect to me.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
This is a cheap shot, but what about the first DVD that ever came out? You'd have nothing to compare it to.

Oh, I have no idea what it was.

Glenn

Adam Horak

Stunt Coordinator
I wouldn't touch Fight Club with a 10 ft. pole. No DTS, no sale!
:D

Seriously though, I think FOTR:EE is as close as any DVD set has ever come to perfection.

Cavan.B

Stunt Coordinator
Also no trailers on the EE, so I'm sure that annoyed some even though the theatrical edition has them. Also the movie being split across 2 discs, which doesn't bother me but may some. Otherwise its the Lord of all DVDs. :D

Burke Strickland

Second Unit
Of course, if the Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Rings: Extended Edition (I assume that's the LOTR: FOTR: EE we're discussing here):>) had duplicated any of the material in the theatrical release edition (including the movie itself) that would have been grounds for MORE complaints. As it is, you can buy both sets and "have it all" without duplication. (In effect, the two editions together make up the complete set.) That's what I did and I'm perfectly happy with these "perfect" DVDs. :>)

I'm certainly glad to have the movie spread across two discs instead of being crammed onto an overly compressed single disc. Also, I much prefer two discs to a "flipper". (Both discs are in my DVD jukebox and I don't have to handle the discs to play back the whole movie.)

Richard_D_Ramirez

Second Unit
LOTR EE is as close to perfect for me. I don't worry about the theatrical cut or trailers since I have the other version too!

But in the end, you can't please everyone....

8^B

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
How about The Ultimate Toy Box? What could possibly be wrong with that set?

Well, I guess there's no DTS....damn! :D

Seriously though, I'd also throw in Gladiator and Pearl Harbor: Vista Series. It's hard to find faults with those DVDs.

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
I have a few perfect DVD's:

-From Hell LE
-Episode II
-FOTR EE (I kept the original too)
-Ultimate Toy Box

AJG

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
I would also say that FOTR:EE is the closest to a perfect DVD I have seen. I have other brilliant DVD's, but Fight Club for instance doesn't have as interesting extra features (IMO) as FOTR has. I think the 5½ hours of high quality documentary footage on FOTR in addition to the feature presentation should be enough to make it the best DVD out there. Keep in mind that the theatrical cut and the trailers *are* available, New Line just spilt the release in 2 parts with no overlapping features. This is the most brilliant DVD marketing EVER IMO.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Ok...sure the FOTR EE is good and all...but E.T. The Ultimate Gift Set is the perfect DVD...both versions of the film...DTS...a third disc...the score on CD...and hardcover book...certificate of authenticity...and a awesome case...and its a classic film...what more could you want...

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Episode II is close as well, but most will complain about no DTS! ANd it does include the theatrical cut, the DLP version of it. SO technically, it was correct.

Craig LeBlanc

Stunt Coordinator
How about the Platinum Series Se7en ? DTS, multiple commentaries, lots of extras and an awesome job on the video!

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
How about The Ultimate Toy Box? What could possibly be wrong with that set?
Awful annoying menus that make you play Nintendo with your remote if you want to see anything. Click-click-content Click-click-content Click-click-content Click-click-content Click-click-content gets old fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks