What's new

Has Robert De Niro "Retired?" (1 Viewer)

Kachi Khatri

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay
More spotlight on good old Bobby...Don't care about all the negativity towards him, still a great actor.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6881848/site/newsweek&&CM=EmailThis&CE=1Career Intervention: Robert De Niro[/url]

Career Intervention: Robert De Niro
One of the most influential actors in history seems to be just following the money now. Yes, we're talkin' to you

By Sean Smith/Newsweek

The Crisis: "Meet the Fockers" was the hit of the holiday season and has now grossed $250 million, but it only highlights the fact that Robert De Niro, two-time Oscar winner and star of culture-defining movies such as "Taxi Driver" and "The Deer Hunter," hasn't made a great film in ages. His latest, the wanna-be thriller "Hide and Seek," caps a five-year string of mediocre movies, including "Men of Honor," "15 Minutes" and "The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle."

Making matters worse, he's now featured in a new American Express commercial, a move that surprised his fans. "It's just startling to see the greatest American actor become a shill," says one studio exec. Although De Niro's agency, CAA, denies it, another studio exec says the agency won't even send De Niro a script if the fee offered for the film is less than $4 million. "He's only making choices for the money," the exec says. "This is also known as Gene Hackman's disease." While no one begrudges the 61-year-old actor the right to earn top dollar, De Niro's decision to make only commercial films has begun to tarnish his reputation. "He's sleepwalking through these parts," says an indie exec. "His name comes up in casting discussions now and it's like, 'De Niro? Nah'." Adds another industry vet: "I no longer think of him as America's greatest living actor. I think of him as the American Express guy. How harsh is that?"

The Cure: De Niro's defenders say there isn't a crisis to begin with. "He reinvented himself in comedy, of all things," says one top agent. "I don't blame him at all for doing these big movies and getting paid. Look at the knuckleheads who are getting twice what he is per picture-and De Niro can act." And, says Universal chairman Stacey Snider, whose studio released "Meet the Fockers," "it's remarkable that he's repositioned himself and has found diverse parts to score in. He's become relevant to a new generation." (As for the American Express ad, it may be De Niro's way of giving thanks. The credit-card company gave $15 million to De Niro's Tribeca Film Festival in the wake of 9/11.) Still, almost all the industry sources interviewed for this story agree it's time for De Niro to dive back into deep water. "He needs to do a very serious drama where he doesn't chew any of the furniture," says one studio insider. "He needs to disappear inside a character again." De Niro may be ready. He's preparing to direct and act in "The Good Shepherd," a sweeping tale set within the CIA that he's been fighting to get made. "It's poetic and really haunting," says one agent. "It's 'The Godfather,' set in the CIA. It could be his magnum opus." Even if it isn't, at least one producer thinks the actor has earned the right to do whatever he wants: "I mean, come on. He's still Robert F---ing De Niro."

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
ha ha, but I do hate it when great artists stop making great art. They don't owe me anything but I don't have to like it. No one owes me money but it doesn't mean I don't wish I had some.

Plus we are discussing someone whose profession is to present work for public consumption and for public approval, so naturally that work is going to be critiqued publically as well.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C

Translation: "Nevermind if you're happy with your modern-day resume, nevermind if you're happy with the money you make, nevermind if you're meeting whatever personal or career goals you've set for yourself. I want you to be the way you were when I became a fan, screw everything else."

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Of course, there are also many times where an artist's "new" work is not well received until it becomes "old and vintage". Sometimes we look back and in retrospect, something has improved with age.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks