What's new

Has Paramount quit releasing classic films to SD DVD? (1 Viewer)

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Roger Rollins, who is an extremely trustworthy source in regards to classic film, has disclosed in the JOHNNY GUITAR thread that contrary to what the lady on the plane said, Paramount's new head of video made a voluntary decision to let Lionsgate continue handling the Republic Pictures library. This means that Paramount owns the stuff, they just don't want to deal with it.
We all seem to know what the downsides of this are, there's no use rehashing them here.
The potential upside is that maybe now that Paramount has openly declared they don't want these movies under their banner, they'll allow Lionsgate access to better materials and these movies will come out in proper editions.
Yeah, who are we kidding? This is Lionsgate, where SAW is the law. :frowning:

LaurenceGarvey

Second Unit
And as I've mentioned before, Steve Beeks of Lionsgate (formerly Artisan) told me "There's no market for B&W films unless John Wayne is in them." He's a Harvard MBA, so there's no use trying to sway him otherwise.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Steve Beeks is the reason we don't have proper R1 DVD releases of Laurel & Hardy, Our Gang & other Roach classics. Fans of Republic's films have every reason to be concerned. The situation at Paramount is equally troubling.
I can't believe that Steve Feldstein at Fox and George Feltenstein at Warners are the only two people in America with the knowledge to market a classic film library properly. Don't equivalents exist among the ranks of the other home video divisions?
Wasn't Sumner Redstone saying just last year that Paramount was going to exploit their catalog even more? What changed?

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Are there any doubts as to the worst studio of the year for 2006?
Universal has apparently dropped the dreaded DVD-18s, so my vote will most definitely fall to Paramount. Truly sad! :frowning:
If they really have no interest in their classics, at least let the sub-contractors (i.e. Lionsgate) have access to the materials in their vault. Somebody on this forum stated that there is much better material for "The Quiet Man" than what we have. Of course a second generation VHS copy would be better than what we have.
How on earth could anyone (educated or not) say that there is no market for classic films? That is ignorance without compare. Yes, it is true that they won't sell as many copies as the latest blockbuster, but most of those blockbusters will be forgotten within twenty years, while the classics will live on.
Paramount, you should be embarassed.-

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Isn't one of the headlines linked on the front page of the forum something about Paramount being the #1 DVD studio in terms of sales? Something tells me they aren't about to change their policies. :frowning:

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Interesting list. I haven't seen FEar is the Key since I was a kid (40 now). I did some research eyars ago to find the name of it. That one, along with Airport 77, turned me into a morbid little airline disaster fan.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
Actually, I've just been fascinated by events that take a lot of lives quickly like that. Titanic, etc.
Anyway, they've sold at least one Fear is the Key. JUst release it!!
Jekyll & Hyde Together Again (and the TV Fridays, for that matter) would make me wet myself.
And African Queen?!!! WTF!!!

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Aaron Silverman said:
Isn't one of the headlines linked on the front page of the forum something about Paramount being the #1 DVD studio in terms of sales? Something tells me they aren't about to change their policies. :frowning:
I thought Warner was and is #1.

JerryKILL

Stunt Coordinator
Fear is the Key has been released on a Norwegian DVD label in R2-land. However, looks like it is full screen. Don't know if it is open matte or pan n scanned. I could live with open matte until (if?) something better comes around. Paramount needs to release this forgotten 70s gem, now, and its neglected brother Phase IV.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Well, forgive my language, but Paramount and Lionsgate are on my "shitlist" when it comes to DVD studios now. They're morons in terms of film. It's a bunch of egos who won't even pay attention to the fantastic classics put out by Warners, Fox, and Universal.
It's also puzzling why their films that do happen to star John Wayne get lousy treatment. All while Fox spends $5 million to restore a lesser known film like The Black Swan. :rolleyes

FrancisP

Screenwriter
Paramount is closer to the bottom than the top in SD. If I remember even Sony is beating them. At least they're beating Lionsgate. Although when you compare lionsgate's catalog vs Paramount, you could make a case that Lionsgate is doing better.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I wish they'd issue The Keep, it was slated to come out a long time ago, then got cancelled. I'm reading the book again right now, would love to see the movie out.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
"I wish they'd issue The Keep, it was slated to come out a long time ago, then got cancelled. I'm reading the book again right now, would love to see the movie out"

Qui-Gon John

Your about the only one that I know who dosn't think of it as a bomb

I haven't seen it,but most people I talk too about it don't think much

of it

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Peter Neski said:
"I wish they'd issue The Keep, it was slated to come out a long time ago, then got cancelled. I'm reading the book again right now, would love to see the movie out"
Qui-Gon John
Your about the only one that I know who dosn't think of it as a bomb
I haven't seen it,but most people I talk too about it don't think much
of it
Lots of people are fans of The Keep. There are threads about it here on the HTF. It's certainly more popular than plenty of films that have been released already.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I thought The Keep was great until that thing shows up. I would like to see it again, however. I think it grows on you with repeat viewings. Maybe it's easier to laugh at things after the initial shock is over at how bizarre some portions are.

PatWahlquist

Supporting Actor
The Martin and Lewis box set has popped back up on the retailer site for release on 10/31/06.

Also, there is now conflicting info from that site if Stephen King's Silver Bullet and Graveyard Shift are a new, special edition or a repackage. The site labels them as repackages, but SB is shown as a collector's edition, which I thought was new. Also, these two titles release date have been moved up to 8/8.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
JerryKILL said:
Fear is the Key has been released on a Norwegian DVD label in R2-land. However, looks like it is full screen. Don't know if it is open matte or pan n scanned. I could live with open matte until (if?) something better comes around. Paramount needs to release this forgotten 70s gem, now, and its neglected brother Phase IV.
(missed this post)
I could live with that full screen version of Fear is the Key myself. In fact, I'd be happy with a cheapie dollar DVD for now until something better comes along. Too bad the thing isn't in the public domain.
I actually downloaded Phase IV, the old Mystery Science Theater 3000 version. That one's from their early local years so the comedy portion is spotty. I thought the movie itself was really weird. It's a shame MST3K dealer "cup and blade" doesn't offer that one unmystied. MST3k should've mystied Empire of the Ants with Joan Collins instead. That one is a hoot! Bert I Gordon cheese in living color (and one of the dopiest endings in movie history)! :D

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
It's A Wonderful Life has been added to DVD Empire and Deep Discount DVD to be released by Paramount on October 31. That's a start!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks