What's new

Has Lexicon Faded Away? (1 Viewer)

OzzieP

Grip
Real Name
OzzieP
Ever since Harmon Kardon took over, I do not think I have seen any major changes or introduction of a new pre-amp. They did lower the price of the MC-12 which led me to think a new pre-amp might be in the horizon, but nothing.

OzzieP

Grip
Real Name
OzzieP
Looks like I just answered my on question when viewing the Home Theater Forum YouTube Channel! They have a new Flagship model called the MP-20 coming on in the second quarter of 2012 on display. Seems like that added substantial video processing option to the HDMI inputs. A steep price increase as well ($14,000). No word if they will offer the usual upgrade window from an older Lexicon to the new like they usually do, and no word on a model beneath the MP-20 like the had before with the MC-12 and the M-8.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Ever since the whole "we're trying to sell you an Oppo BDP-83 for 3500 bucks because we stuck the Lexicon name on it" nonsense, I wouldn't mind at all if they faded away.

OzzieP

Grip
Real Name
OzzieP
I guessed I missed this incident. I know a lot of the high end retailers dong this, usually they do some minor modification, and then re-brand it. I remember Runco doing this with NEC projectors, and I think Meridian did something like this as well. It looks like the MP-20 seems to be a unique to them preamp, but its not officially out yet.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
http://hd.engadget.com/2010/01/16/lexicon-busted-passing-oppo-off-as-a-3500-blu-ray-player/

OzzieP

Grip
Real Name
OzzieP
Amazing! I see that they got out of the DVD business all together now. I am sure this exposure had a large part to do with it.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
A lot of this stuff is re-branded or made by someone else. Ayer fully admitted to dong the same thing. They even bought the OPPO's at retail so they didn't have to go through the licensing process. Tried to re-engineer a few things and sell it for $$$. Same goes for lot of amps. high-end processors and receivers not to mention tires, tools, lawnmowers, etc. Small companies just can't afford to foot the bill for a ground-up design. Look at what's happenned to Outlaw Audio. Remember the Cadillac Cimerron (Chevy Cavalier)? O.K., they were both made by GM, but still....:rolleyes: . And the old Honda Passport SUV was a re-badged Isuzu Rodeo (Honda returned the favour by making a mini-van for Isuzu based on the Odyssey). I don't know who makes what anymore. I just look for a good product at a good price and hope for the best. And so far they haven't been a Lexicon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks