Has anyone tried the Pro System Selector (component switcher)?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Dave F, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Has anyone here tried the Pro System Selector (component switcher)? It is powered, so my initial thought was that it was an active switcher rather than a passive switch. However, I didn't notice that it also acted as an ethernet switch, so perhaps that would account for the power.

If it is passive, this could be a pretty sweet deal since it acts as a component switcher, an optical audio switch, and also consolidates the network cabling.

-Dave

2. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

Yep. I've had mine for a few months now.

I really like the device. The only thing that it lacks is a remote control, other than that I've been very happy with the component and digital audio switching, as well as the ethernet switching.

I really needed something like this seeing as how I had 5 component devices with my Sat rec, my DVD player, my Xbox, my Gamecube and my PS2.

It's done it's job quite nicely.

Glen

3. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Glen, have you passed a 720p or 1080i input through it? Also, am I correct in thinking that the ethernet switch is 10/100?

I'm really torn between this and the Audio Authority 1154. The AA has a reputation for great quality, and has 4 optical inputs, but only 4 component inputs is a drag. Having seven would be a comfortable fit.

Thanks,

-Dave

4. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

Yep, my HDTV DirecTV reciever was passing a 1080i signal through it, and my Xbox was passing a 720P signal through it.

I didn't have any issues with either of them.

Glen

5. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Cool, thanks Glen! I think I'll pick one up this week.

-Dave

6. JoshuaL

JoshuaL Extra

Does anyone know of any pictures of the back of this unit? I haven't been able to find any, and I'd like to before I buy it. Also, does it handle digital coax audio or just optical?

7. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Sweet! Right now I'm an XBox house. But my girlfriend and I just gifted each other a GameCube + games for XMas, and her brother (with whom we share an apt.) is getting a PS2 for XMas. I will definitely be needing this as my DTV only has 2 component inputs and 1 is devoted to the DVD player.

8. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

It has three optical, three ethernet, seven s video/composite/component switches on the back, and a hidden eigth component input on the front. It does not do digital coax though. Best Buy sells these in stores and there is a pic of the back on the top of the box.

It also comes in black and silver flavors.

9. JoshuaL

JoshuaL Extra

Too bad about the lack of coax digital. I wonder if using the composite video input for coax digital audio would work? Anybody see a problem with that? I found the following picture online of the back of the unit, but the forum won't let me post the actual URL (GRRRR!!!). It's:

www dot consoleaccessories dot com/unv004.asp?img=b#largeimg

10. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

11. Jarrett_L

Jarrett_L Auditioning

I have one, and think it is awesome [​IMG] Just what the doctor ordered for passing my Xbox, DVD, computer, gamecube signals all to my overhead projector!

Only thing lacking, as someone said, is a remote.

Highly recommended.

Jarrett

12. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Thanks for the mini-reviews. The lack of remote isn't a biggie as I gotta get up to power on each system anyway.