What's new

Has anyone seen this post at Leonard Maltin.com? Interesting reading! (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Glad I caught this. Called Disney and they are
sending me a prepaid mailer.

Question; What disc(s) is defective in this package and
needs to go back?

Also, what is specifically the problem with Looney Tunes GC2?
How do I contact WB for a return?

Thanks for posting this, guys!

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
If I recall, the problem with Looney Tunes was that disk 4 had a number of interlaced cartoons on it. Based on your setup, it's possible you may never have noticed but anybody running progressive scan should have seen the problem. It had been reported well over 2 years ago, but Warners just started shipping the replacement in the last couple of months.

On the Disney return, both Silly Symphony disks are "bad". Basically return both disks but keep all your packaging. New disks will come in sleeves.

EDIT" found the info regarding contacting Warners:

"For those who didn't know, Warner Bros. has quietly issued a replacement disk for Looney Tunes gold collection set 2, disk 4. The original problem with this disk was that a number of the shorts were interlaced.

If you're interested in a replacement, please contact Warner Home Video at 1-800-553-6937 so that a self-addressed stamped envelope can be sent to you for return of your current disc. Please note that the replacement disc will be sent to you in approximately 2-4 weeks."

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
If anyone has the contact # for WB so I can return mine, please post.

Also still waiting to hear which discs from MORE SILLY SYMPHONIES
need to be exchanged.

Great thread. Thanks!

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Er, Ronald--mdnitoil just told you in his post above (hehehehehe!) It's both discs. Send them both back.

Mike--I was actually talking about both sets, but yes you did answer my question. Thanks!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Ron: I just made the call and the CSR said we would be returning the two discs in the set (and she emphasized NOT to return the case/inserts/etc.--even though the paperwork Disney sends us may tell us to).

EDIT** It looks like everybody is determined to post answers at the same minute-or-so in this thread! :D

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

Yes, human error, like Mr. Maltin says, but I just can't seem to figure out how something like this happens. Do they not do any quality control before going to replication?

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Just out of curiosity. How does it look when a short was interlaced compared to what it should look like?

I don't think it matters to me right now as my up-converting dvd player is only outputting 1080i anyway... Is that correct?

Also, I just bought the Looney Tunes #2 a few weeks ago from amazon, how can I tell if my set has the fixed disc #4?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
There were no fixed discs to my knowledge. If you bought the second LTGC box, than your set is affected.

As per interlacing -- movement on screen will register as either vertical lines in images and/or pixelization and breakup of picture. It would be most noticeable in action sequences or camera movements such as quick pans, etc. The lines that make up the image in the video signal are improperly flagged. Depending on your settings, some players/displays will exhibit the problem worse than others.

As an aside, the problem with the LT discs for which WHV is issuing replacements for -- is the exact same problem that affects every single cartoon in the discs that WHV sent out for the T&J replacements! So the geniuses in the mastering dept. have replaced their first screw-ups of the edited films, with horrible and nearly unwatchable transfers (much worse than LTGC) exhibiting the exact same problem for which the company deems significant enough to issue replacement discs of this set. Brilliant, huh?

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Sorry to derail this topic, but can someone tell me one of the shorts this shows up on so I can see it and judge whether it is worth the hassle of exchange?

(I am referring to the LTGC#2 Disc4)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Book Revue was most noticeable if I recall.

Pay closer attention to the action shots with DD as he flails around the screen. Playback in slow motion should reveal (depending on your player settings) either a ghosting image or horizontal line breakup in the picture.

I'd recommend the replacement regardless, because if you chose to switch players down the road (even upgrading hardware) or screen the disc on a somebody else's setup, you may encounter problems that were previously less noticeable. It'll also send out the message to WHV that more people are aware of these problems and care enough about them to phone in and request the new disc, and hopefully in order to avoid the costly procedures of extra pressings and mail-outs, WHV will get these things right the first time around. (well maybe not in the case of T&J...)

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
Good to know that mistakes are being corrected.

However, as someone who buys Region 1 DVDs outside of the designated territory, I do wish that these errors could be picked up before a sale takes place.

I suspect that neither Disney nor Warner will entertain replacements from outside of America/Canada.

If I knew that the corrected discs were available to buy, then I would even do that. But I am not sure with the defective Warner when and if the corrected set will filter through into the marketplace and with the Disney it was a limited release only.

Very difficult and very frustrating.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
When the Disney news first broke, a number of overseas customers were pleasantly surprised that Disney would honor their purchases and send replacements. I can't speak for Warners but you might want to write an email to Disney customer service. It can't hurt. I believe this new open policy started with the True Life Adventure replacements and has continued through the More Silly Symphonies replacements.

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for that.

I have sent an email to Disney and see if they can help an international customer find corrected DVDs.

Shawn DuHast

Stunt Coordinator
I live in England so does anyone have an email address please for the WHV Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol2 D4 replacement?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks