What's new

Has anyone installed Vista SP2? (1 Viewer)

I'm interested in having a smoother running PC that doesn't hog memory all over the shop so I can hardly compute the things i need to compute. Does SP2 create any problems or solve any? Or would my problems only be solved by uninstalling and getting Windows 7? Does it run smoother on a Dell laptop with hardly any RAM?

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I installed SP2 on my Dell laptop a few days ago and I can't really see any noticeable difference.

Since you are interested in SP2 you've probably already looked at this: windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-us/Help/e060ffa2-1a1b-4182-ad16-db9d7336b7ce1033.mspx

It just outlines the things that SP2 fixes.

On the point of memory, Vista is a memory hog any way you look at it so SP2 probably won't make any difference one way or the other. I haven't really studied the particulars about Windows 7 but maybe it will be a little more memory friendly.

I've regretted getting Vista since about a month after I got it. I think I had a honeymoon period while it slowly clogged up my computer with demons. Now I just turn off all the "pretty" settings and wish I had XP back, but can't be bothered researching how to go back.

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I like the "pretty" stuff.
But it does take a fairly hefty machine to do it without bogging it down.

The only problem I had with Vista was a HP DesignJet 110 plus printer that wouldn't work inside of AutoCad 2000 because HP hadn't released an updated driver. I waited until finally they released a driver. It still didn't work. So I waited some more. Finally, HP released a driver on June 30, 2009 and I decided to give it one more try. Now it works! I couldn't believe it.

Anyway, I said all that to say this: After not having been able to get the HP printer to work with Vista I went back to XP until just a few days ago. Now I've got Vista installed and everything seems to be working fine. (Hope I didn't just jinx myself)

The way I went back to XP was to back up all my files and do a clean install on a freshly formatted hard drive. If you've still got your XP CD or DVD you should be able to do this.

Users who are viewing this thread