What's new

Has anyone had heat issues with HD/BD players due to location? (1 Viewer)

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk
Why do the manuals to everything these days say not to put it in a cabinet, not to stack anything on it, etc? When you have 6 or 8 devices (or more), where the hell are you supposed to put them all? I currently have my 2 DVD recorders, HD-A3, and 2 VCRs on 1 shelf. There's plenty of room on the sides, but the back is closed in. Should I be concerned about the amount of heat being given off by the player and lack of ventilation? I kept checking the player after watching a couple movies, and it didn't feel warm. The second disc I took out was pretty warm though. My Halo 3 disc came out of my 360 hot almost hot enough to burn me one time; I sold that so I can get one of the newer ones that run cooler (Falcon chipset). I think I'm going to assume this setup will work for now. Do BD playes/PS3 have any heat issues? I probably won't be able to get one til next summer, but I may as well think ahead.

I actually thought about cutting the sides/back of my media cabinets and installing 120mm PC case fans to help with this sort of thing. My Onkyo receiver runs hot as hell.

robocop2001

Auditioning
Real Name
Don
I have a PS3 and a Toshiba HD-XA2. No heat issues as of date. I have my components in a Techcraft Wing series WF45B just because I wanted to avoid any possible heating issues. Years ago I use to keep my older components in an enclosed cabinet, and I noticed they really generated a lot of heat.

Have you though about installing some computer fans in your cabinet to cycle hot air out and cooler fresh air in? Maybe this would help and put your mind at ease.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I've often thought about installing computer cooling fans in my rack to help dissipate heat. I know they are low voltage so how would one go about wiring them up and not burning them up?

robocop2001

Auditioning
Real Name
Don
I believe a voltage regulator would be needed, but I'm no electrician. I'm just guessing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks