What's new

Has anyone found early copies of CITY OF GOD? (Merged) (1 Viewer)

Rumor has it that some Walmarts have already begun selling copies, even though it's officially been pushed back to June. I have not, as of yet, been able to find one, though. Also, I've heard that some military exchanges already have it available, strangely enough. This is starting to look more and more like the ED WOOD situation. I'm DESPERATE to find a copy, because I was planning to screen it immediately preceding the Oscar party I'm hosting...Help!

Jason
[email protected]

Because I don't have a multi-region DVD player hooked up in the room where we'll be watching the Oscars, and I don't want to have to rearrange my whole AV systems unless absolutely necessary.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I don't think Wal-Mart's site is accurate.

From my understanding, Miramax only made one version - widescreen. They're listing of full-frame must be wrong.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor

The DVD was pulled until June - no copies have been printed yet; the only versions available are the R2, 3 and 4 DVDs.

"The DVD was pulled until June - no copies have been printed yet; the only versions available are the R2, 3 and 4 DVDs."

I KNOW that it was pulled until June--that's why I started this thread. Copies HAVE been printed, though, and some have slipped through. There have been confirmed reports of some Walmarts and military exchanges having them for sale, so I'm posting here to see if someone can help me out.

Jason

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Why so desparate, this isn't like Ed Wood where we don't know when it's coming or in what form. We have the release date, it's only a few months. :rolleyes

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor

In your first post you say it is a "rumor", but now it's fact. The Walmart listing is an error - they simply haven't updated their site (and the specs are wrong in any event). It is highly, highly unlikely that the DVDs have been pressed as the release date was pushed back several weeks ago.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member

The DVD release date was pushed back shortly after the Oscar nominations were released - which was about 3 weeks ago. We've seen many DVD reviews posted 3-4 weeks (or longer) before it streets - so this it isn't hard to believe.

City of God has already been pressed and shipped to some retailers. Some retailers have released the DVD early not knowing of the release date change.

A few people have reported picking the DVD up, and someone was kind enough to pick me up a copy and is sending it to me now.

Yeah, what's up with the hostility toward me by a couple of people in this thread? I clearly stated why I was in a "rush" to get it, and, yes, the "rumor" that some have been released has now been confirmed. If you don't believe it, that's fine, but there's no reason to question my motives for wanting a copy.

Jason

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
I think Jason has stated he's looking for a copy to screen before his Oscar party-that's why he can't wait until June.

Jason-I think'll you'll have to rearrange-it's probably too hard to get a copy (or expensive). Have you tried Ebay? I just watched my copy from CDWow nad it is a good choice to screen for you guests. Too bad oscar screeners are nil this year.

Ron

Yeah, I've looked at eBay, but I don't think I'm willing to pay $150 for a legit R1 copy just yet. :) If worse comes to worst, I will just rearrange my AV setups, and hook up my region-free player in the rooms where we'll be watching the Oscars. It's a hassle, but definitely not a hassle worth spending $150 to overcome!

Jason

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Best of luck Jason. I have not been able to catch this movie locally (big surprise!) and was sure disappointed the DVD's been delayed too. I'm also not very interested in re-setting up my system for my inferior (and different color output [??, but it is]) all-region player, so am empathetic...

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
I emailed Walmart and this is the response I got:

"Dear Peter,

We are writing in response to your question about whether the site is
correct on the release date of City of God. On the site it shows
06-18-04 and right now we only have it on the dvd full frame. If you
want to know about renting it and getting it this month you would have
to call 1-800-505-3837 the dvd department. We apologize for any
inconvenience.

Sincerely Taya,

Customer Service at Walmart.com"

So if I´m understanding this correctly this means that they DO HAVE City of God "in stock" for you to buy or rent, but it is only the full frame version. The widescreen version will be released in June.

So, Jason, one option is to rent the full frame version for your Oscar party. Don´t know how much it cost. I live in Sweden so I guess it would be easier for you to find out.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Ron,

Are you sure those DVDs for 'City of God' that are for sale via eBay and such are the official R1 release or are they simply bootlegs from the R2 release using the published R1 cover art? In fact there were bootlegs of 'City of God' for sale even before the official R2 version was released.

As usual - buyer beware.

Some of the R1s for sale on eBay have most certainly been bootlegs, but a couple appear to be legitimate releases that have slipped through the cracks.

Jason

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I was pretty lucky today. I was able to find the City of God DVD at Suncoast, but had no luck at Wal-Mart. Apparently Suncoast only had two or three copies.

At another store I found the Ed Wood DVD and was able to pick up Season 1 of Chappelle's Show a week early.

Greg Krewet

Premium
Supporter
And as reported earlier, all the military bases
in the San Antonio area have them. Those with acess to military bases might try there. Ed woods are also there in plentiful supplies.
Best
greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks