What's new

Has anyone ever had problems with the JBL PB-12 ? (1 Viewer)

BryanJ

Auditioning
Has anyone hear ever had problems with your JBL PB-12 ?
If so what was it ?.
Thanks

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I think I've heard a few folks say the JBL's have problem amps, but the "review's" at AudioReview.com seem to show many happy campers with this model.
http://www.audioreview.com/reviews/S...ct_67254.shtml
Good luck!
p.s.
If it were me I'd go for the Sony SA-WM 40 12" sub that I believe is on sale for $149 at Best Buy (or Sears price match) I totally love my Sony.
Alfer
------------------
Check out my new Home Theater site and my NEW HT 6.1 Pic's at Link Removed
Join my new Yahoo "Club Enormodome" for LIVE HT and DVD chats at: Link Removed

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
The PB line doesn't have many problems. I believe it was the PSW line that was plagued by bad amps. I have had my PB12 for nearly a year now with no problems. I'm sure that it will stomp any little Sony sub, but try them out for yourself.
-Chris

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
BryanJ,
I've had my PB12 for about 3 months now and I really like it. For the price (I got mine online for $265 delivered), I don't think you can beat it. I do have one small beef with it though...during quieter DVD passages, I've noticed that it hums a tad. I never really noticed it when I first got it, but it was one of those things where, once I heard it, I began hearing it all the time (I guess I learned what to listen for). However, that is only a minor nuisance when compared to the joy this little gem has brought me for such a low price. Just from my prior research, I'd suggest that you purchase it from a B&M rather than online. I happened to get lucky making the online purchase, but I have heard of many people who received a unit that was DOA.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Sean,
The cable I'm presently using is the only one I've tried. It's the THX-Certified Monstersub cable (I can't remember the model number). Being that the sub is very close to the AC outlet, I even bought one of those Monster SW200 filter/surge protectors and that didn't work either.
As far as different power source, do you mean just switching outlets? If so, I haven't tried that either.
I'm more than open to suggestions because the hum drives me mad!
Thanks,
Ron

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Sean,
"Do you mean just switching outlets?"
Wow, was that a dumb question or what? Let's just say I've had quite the rough day...
Anyway, I get the hum even when there's no source playing, so I'm assuming that's the ground loop hum, right? Do you have any easy remedies you can suggest?
Thanks,
Ron

Paulus

Agent
Ron
I have the PB-10 and I had the hum problem. My solution was to connect the subwoofers power cable to the power outlet on the back of my reciever (HTR-5280). And now the hum is only there when it's playing and then I don't hear it. No problems with this solution so far.
Paul
------------------
http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the suggestions, Fellas!
The "plugging it into the receiver" option won't work in my application as the the sub is on a side wall and is too far from the receiver.
I'll certainly run an extensions cord this weekend and see if that works. However, I suspect that the sub is picking up the hum because it's only a few inches from the outlet. It may be that I'll just have to relocate it altogether...but it sounds so good in that spot!
laugh.gif

Sean,
While I have your attention, I read this post out on Audio Review (on the PB12) that I found interesting and wondered what your thought on it was. Here it is:
"Since my floor is carpet and the subwoofer is a downfire sub i bought a peice of 1" think slab of granite which is a 18" square it relly helps and you will notice a difference in the bass it will be more roomfilling a smoother. I even measured the sound output with the granite and with out the granite.
--------------------------
Without the granite slab
--------------------------
25Hz @89dB
30Hz @99dB
35Hz @106dB
40Hz @109dB
50Hz @113dB
-------------------------
With the granite slab
-------------------------
25Hz @92dB
30Hz @103dB
35Hz @108dB
40Hz @110dB
50Hz @115dB
------------------------
All of those mesuruement were takin from 3 meters distance using a Radio Shack Analog SPL meter, the room size was 19 feet by 28feet with 8 foot ceilings. The subs volume was set in the middle, when i turned it up even more i measured a higher SPL
20Hz @82dB
25Hz @96dB
30Hz @107dB
35Hz @112dB
40Hz @115dB
50Hz @118dB
---------------------
That was distortion free bass it was contolled and
not boomy, it was tight and deep the bass was VERRY
loud it gave me a headach after 10 mins of testing."

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Sean,
I thought it was pretty cool. Hey, for such an inexpensive tweak, I feel it's worth it. Plus, it gives me something to do on my HT! :) Hopefully, I'll get to it this weekend.
The guest house sounds sweet! I wish I had my own dedicated room. A guy can dream, can't he?
"And best of all the wife will not be a factor, I can put slabs..."
Funny you should say that because I ran it by my fiance last night (the idea of having a big, granite slab in the living room) and she was totally cool with it! I suppose it's always a good idea to check it out with the front office.
laugh.gif

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, the little lady is cool like that!
I'll tweak away and post something soon...

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry
This sounds interesting; if I can get to Home Depot before they close tonight will aslo try the granite slabs above and below.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I have the PB10 and am very happy with it, but I have bottomed it out a couple times. I am considering selling this one to my dad and getting the PB12. Has anyone out there had experience with BOTH subs and is there a significant difference if I upgrade from the 10 to the 12?
And as for quality concerns, I bought mine in May of 2000, and the thing has performed like a champ with no humm at all since then, and I watch quite a few movies. The new Jurassic Park DTS disc roars on it! :)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Barry,
I emailed the guy who posted the "Granite Tweak" and he said that the slab cost $9. To me, that's about as inexpensive a tweak as you're gonn get!

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Sean, thats kinda what I figured, but this is currently in a small bedroom, so I'll stick with the 10 now, as it already shakes things off the walls, but I will upgrade to the 12 when I move out! :)

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
When my friend bought his the first time, the amp was dead. It produced no signal what-so-ever. He returned it and got a new one, works perfect now. He hasnt had a single problem with it since.
:)
------------------
Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I am comfortable with that. I am enlightened.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Well, the "granite slab" thing is gonna be harder than I thought. I went to HD and Lowe's yesterday and neither stocks granite slabs. You can order them, but it's like $48 a squre foot! The guy there suggested I go to a rock quarry and visit the "graveyard" there. Basically, it's where all the unused or unsold pieces go. You pick out a piece and they cut it to your specs. I'm not sure if they're open on weekends, so the the story continues...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks