What's new

Has anyone actually witnessed DolbyHD and DTS-Master Audio? (1 Viewer)

BrentSP

Agent
Real Name
Brent Pearcy
On paper the difference in lossless looks nifty but how about real world experience? Is it crazy good and makes EX and ES sound inferior? I've heard that theres a difference but not a huge difference soundwise between the two using 5.1, 6.1, 7.1, but where the difference is at is the capability of 8.1, 9.1, 10.1, etc. Anyone want to share?

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I would have to agree, at one point, there has to be some sort of diminishing returns. For most practical purposes of HT rooms with dimensions under 30'x30', the addition of more speakers can't possibly be noticable (and not to mention more expensive). I do admit to noticing a difference between 5.1 and 6.1 but less so between 6.1 and 7.1. If I had to add more speakers, I don't know where I'd put them!

The other limitation is the reliance of matrixing and processing as I don't know of any current productions actually recorded in these modes. Because of this, you run the risk of actually getting inferior sound over the original 5.1 source.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
From what I've read, even in commercial theater systems the back surround channels are derived from the "regular" surround channels of a 5.1 track, because there are very few movies with a true 6.1 soundtrack (true = the back surround channel is an actual sixth and discrete channel; and for the home environment, AFAIK only DTS provides such a format via its DTS-ES format. Dolby's EX format uses the matrixed system to provide its "sixth" channel).

And so far, personally I've only heard of 3 HD movies so far with a true 7.1 soundtrack.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Many TrueHD tracks are 5.1, not 7.1 The primary advantage of the newer codecs is their lossless, nature, not the prospect of extra channels.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

Agreed. Technically, TrueHD vs. DD would be (loosely) like comparing a 24/96 DVD Audio disc to an .mp3. Any perceived differences would be very dependent on the individual system and listener. mp3 are far more popular than DVD-A, of course (which most have never even heard of), and the vast majority have no problem with its sound.

As far as DTS-HD Master, I'm not aware that there's currently any way to hear it. Players can't decode it or even send it to a receiver (which haven't started shipping yet).

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Smith
Well, if I can easily hear the difference in regular Dolby vs DTS sound on DVD's (as far as a big battle scene is concerned), I can only imagine that TrueHD and DTS Master would be easily noticeable (at least by me), considering the huge increase in bitrate.

I don't have high-end components btw.

BrentSP

Agent
Real Name
Brent Pearcy

I hear a difference between DD and DTS also but IMO its not a huge difference. Don't get me wrong, I will have TrueHD and DTS-MA eventually I'm just wondering if its superior compared to the current formats.

BrentSP

Agent
Real Name
Brent Pearcy
Also..........Dolby Digital plus.......I've read very little about it but not grasping what the difference is.

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John

I can hear the difference as well but it usually requires a side by side comparison and not simply enjoying a movie. I've never found DTS to be superior to DD or vice-versa. In some cases one appears to be better than the other format but it's a crap shoot. Generally speaking, if I start to pay attention to the surround sound, it usually because either the movie is boring or I have a calibration/balancing issue that's annoying me (but no one else seems to notice, i.e. the wife).

The next major advancement in audio/video will probably have to be some sort of neural interface that will, for all intent and purposes, make you feel like you are actually there and imprint to your memory. Or some sort of atmoshpere add on that changes room settings (temperature, humidity, smell, etc.). For me, my ears are quite happy with the current audio and doubt the next advances will improve things any more significantly. :eek:

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
You could also be hearing different masters, which would be far more audible than the encoding schemes.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I read about them here, in S&V magazine and AVS Forum but since I'm not in the market for an HD video player, I can only remember details for one of them
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
: on this forum's hi-def video forum someone mentioned a new animated movie from I think Japan, but it had one of those funky translated titles which really makes it difficult to remember. Sorry!

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
You shouldn't need 'High End' gear to hear a difference between lossy and lossless codecs. Well, better than a $70 Durabrand HTiB perhaps ;), but TrueHD is NOT just the plaything of the wealthy with $25,000 surround-sound systems.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks