Has anybody heard when The Island is coming to DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeanR, Jul 23, 2002.

1. DeanR

DeanR Second Unit

Dean
    I loved this movie when it came out in 1980. Anybody hear about a possible DVD release?

2. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

If this is still Universal's property, you'll probably be waiting a while. They don't seem to be very gracious with catalog titles these days. [​IMG]

3. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan
    Not only is there a dearth of Universal catalog releases these days, but THE ISLAND was one of the big bombs of the decade. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be on DVD, though.

ISLAND director Michael Ritchie passed away recently and somehow, exploitative and petty as it may seem, this kind of thing tends to help things like re-releases. We'll see. Ritchie's THE SURVIVORS was released by Columbia/Tri-Star recently and that was by no means a big hit, either.

Jon

4. DeanR

DeanR Second Unit

Dean
    Yes, it definitely was a bomb especially since the book was written by the guy that wrote Jaws, I believe. People expected a lot more than they got for that reason. As a teenager I loved the modern day pirate angle and enjoyed Michael Caine's performance. Those 50 caliber bullets do cause havoc. A guilty pleasure [​IMG]

5. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Definite guilty pleasure and a lot more fun than that third Peter Benchley adaptation, The Deep.
    I'd buy one. I have a soft spot for those "legendary turkeys".