What's new

Has any one heard Alison Krauss's new live Cd? (1 Viewer)

Joe Cole

Second Unit
I like Allison but not really fond of live CDs, although Diana Krall's live in Paris CD is very good.

I have seen her and her band and like to get this CD but like to hear some opinions on it first.

Thanks.

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I've only heard clips from the web but sounds great; definitely picking this up my earliest opportunity.
A concert DVD will follow early next year.:D

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
I have this cd and it has not escaped my cd changer since ir's release. I love it and for a live cd it sounds great.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
What off the wall tracks does it feature? Anything she has not previously recorded? Does she do a cover of Tiny Tim's TIPTOE THROUGH THE TULIPS or anything else unusual?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Joe, ironically, I was listening to disc two of the live set when I saw this thread. I bought it the day it came out for $10.99 at K-Mart, and it is outstanding. The sound quality and performance are both top-notch, and all for just $10.99! If you like Alison Krauss, this one is a must-have. By the way, I am not a fan of live albums in general, but this one is great. Now I want to see the group in concert. Hopefully they will come up north some time.
Peter said:
A concert DVD will follow early next year.
And don't forget the SACD! :D

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I wanna pick up some of her stuff, but want to get the SACDs. Are they hybrids?
It's the same with Dianna Krall- I don't want to buy a CD if a hybrid is out or is coming out.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike, the three Krauss SACDs out now (Now That I've Found You: A Collection, New Favorite, and Forget About It) are hybrids. New Favorite is a multi-channel disc, while the other two are hybrid stereo discs. I highly recommend these titles, though I don't like Forget About It as much as the other two titles. I am referring to the music, not the sound quality. Forget About It sounds great, but the music is a bit dull in my opinion. By the way, I don't have the New Favorite SACD yet, as it's on back-order from circuitcity.com. I have the CD, and the album is great from beginning to end.

I understand your wanting to buy the SACDs and get it over with, so to speak. Rounder has not announced a release date for the live SACD, but it is supposed to be out in early 2003. As a result of the uncertainty over the release date and my impatience, I bought the live CD last week. As I said, though, I picked up the CD set for just $10.99, so I can't really complain about any redundancy if the SACD comes out.

NP: Miles Davis On the Corner CD (interesting stuff)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike, no problem. Given your admitted addiction, I'm guessing you have placed the order already. ;)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I also picked this up last week (got a price match at Best Buy since K-Mart didn't have any in stock by the Saturday of release week). I've made it through disc 1, and half of disc 2 while driving to/fro work. I like what I have heard (even when the guys sing) so far. I'm very impressed by Alison's vocals in a live setting. She's the real deal. The recording is quite good for a live performance (though I think they didn't quite mic'd Alison loud enough).

I haven't listen to the CDs in my home system because I've been decorating my DIY speakers, and it's probably going to be another couple of weeks before I listen to anything seriously at home (but I do have my 12 year old DIY speakers I could listen to the CDs with), so I'm stuck listening to CDs in the car. Don't have SACD capability, so I don't have that purchasing quandary.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Patrick, I too went to Best Buy in search of a price match on the Krauss set, but I didn't have the K-Mart flier with me, as I had seen the price on K-Mart's web site. This particular Best Buy store is strict about only matching prices if you have a print ad. Oh well. The difference in price was only $2, but as a matter of principle, I went to K-Mart. :)
My initial thought in listening to the live set matched yours. Krauss is the real deal. Her voice in concert sounds just like in the studio. You can't say that about a lot of singers out there.

Joe Cole

Second Unit
Keith,

Thanks for the 10.99 heads up. I'll be heading to K-mart tomorrow. It is supposed to rain here all weekend. I would like it on SACD though. How early in '03 is it coming out?

Patrick,

Both of the shows of Alison's that I attended had the 'her mike was too low" problem. At least for the first couple of songs. Either that or her voice gets louder as it warms up.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Joe, hang on. I don't think you will still be able to get the Alison Krauss live set for $10.99 at K-Mart. I believe that was a one-week sale the week it came out. It may not be $10.99 now, but it should be cheap, as Rounder has been marketing it as a budget release. If you do get this one, let us know how you like it.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
My "mic too low" issue with Alison has more to do with when she speaks to the crowd than when she sings (on the CD). Otherwise, she probably does warm up after a few songs and just sings her heart out.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Patrick, one thing I like about live albums if I have not seen the artist person is that you might gain some insight into his or her personality. It seems that Alison Krauss has a good sense of humor. I like her comment to the effect of, "We're looking forward to performing for you tonight...because it's our job." I am also amused by her "paranoia" derived from the crowd staring at her. :)
Actually, I laughed when I first heard the whole "I love you Alison! I love you more!" thing. "This is not a race." :laugh:

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know if the live DVD coming in the future is this same concert? For concerts, I much prefer DVD's to CDs.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, I just looked on alisonkrauss.com but there was no information regarding the DVD performance. It wouldn't surprise me if it is the same performance.

I did find some great news on alisonkrauss.com. Check out these tidbits:

At the 13th Annual IBMA Awards Show Alison Krauss + Union Station received awards in the following categories:
* Jerry Douglas
Instrumental Performer of the Year (Dobro)
* Dan Tyminski
Male Vocalist of the Year
* Down from the Mountain Tour
Bluegrass Event of the Year
* Down from the Mountain Album
Album of the Year
Pretty cool!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks