What's new

Has a theatrical movie ever had Edge enhancement? (1 Viewer)

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
Andy, do you have a DVD-Rom drive in your computer? If so, just stick any DVD you have in there. 99.9% of all DVDs have edge-enhancement. Some have more, some have less. Only about 5 movies in the whole world, don't have any edge-enhancement what-so-ever.

You can see it much better with a computer monitor though (since it's progressive). If you have a small interlaced TV (smaller than 27") it'll be extremely hard to see any EE. However, I can see EE on a computer monitor of 14" It's even worse on my 19" monitor! And even worse than that, on my 65" widescreen TV.

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
Hey, for a newbie here, can I get an explanation of this edge enhancement, why it's so bad, and like a comparison picture to see exactly what ya'll are talkin about? Thanks so much!

Mike

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
EE are "outlines" on the edges of things. It could be any object or person that has edges. Some people like to call these outlines "Halos" and some people call them "ringing."

It's actually VERY terrible to look at though. Even when watching movies on my 19" computer monitor, EE completely takes me out of the movie. It makes the movie look extremely terrible.

To see pictures of how EE looks (beware, it will give you nighmares for life) go to this place:

EE Pictures

Go down to where it talks about "The General's Daughter" and look at pictures "General 1" and "General 2." THIS is EE, and it can be seen in almost every single DVD out there!

Mikey

Auditioning
From strictly a film based viewpoint, you can have edge/adjacency effects as well. This can be intentional (or not) depending on developer and developing conditions chosen or present.
On the negative (and subsequent prints/dupes), a boundary area of high exposure and rate of development which is adjacent to a low exposure area (and low dev) can result in halo or outlines.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks