Harry Potter - what is wrong with these discs

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Joe Caps, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

I am a hardcore Harry Potter fan and saw the films many times in the theater and on vid.

For my birthday, a few weeks ago, a freind got me all of the films on Blu Ray.

Very dissapopinted.

First, I've had the films on regular dvd for a long time. It amazes me that films that made so much money should have such bland vid transfers or worse.

The first two films have color problems.

In the first film, as soon as the kids reach Hogwarts, everything has a orange ting to it.

It didn't in the theater or in the trailers (frewuently the trailers look better than the films!!). Same problem in the second film

the third film has clogged shadow detail, even in bright daylight scenes (prisoner of Azkaban).
    Picture quality just okay Goblet of Fire.

Big jump in color in order of the phoenix.

I never thought any of the potter films could look worse than Prisoner of Azaban.

That seems like a dream compared to HP and the Half Blood Prince.

on the SD, the picture was SO" DARK for the entire film, you couldn't see the movie at all !!!!

On the Blu Ray, the picture IS bright enough to see. You can also see how bad the picture quality is- poor lighting, poor color, and the picture looks to fat, eveyones faces look fat.

You'd think with such big money makers, that warners would do a better job with these great movies.

Most of them have weak color, very flat looking pictures, with no depth.

I was hoping the blu rays would fix some of these problems, but they all look just as bad.

(please don"t flame me for this)

2. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

I think this is less an issue with the discs and more with either your setup or your preference of how you view them. FWIW, I've seen little to no complaints on any of the discs before, apart from minor filtering issues. In fact, I've never seen them given anything less than above-average. Also, you are aware that the films--and often different acts within each films--change cinematography as it relates color, shadows/brightness, and even softness? The directors and cinematographers (especially on Prisoner of Azkaban, given that director's penchant for controlling the look of his films) seemed to be at least involved with the production of the home video versions, if not exactly micro-managing.

And of course, I never trust the "it looked like this in theaters" anecdotal evidence, not only because of the highly deceptive nature of memory; but also because of the wide variety in the types and quality of the equipment, screens, and competency of projectionists. It's doubtful that there's more than a couple dozen screens worldwide that accurately display films, almost all of which are single-theater large-screen venues designed for use in either productions or premieres of the films themselves. Unless you were watching at Grauman's or the Odeon or a similar theater, depending on your memory is next to useless when judging PQ.

3. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    I kind of agree with Joe. Goblet of Fire was acceptable, and those after that (i.e. Half-Blood and Order) much better. But before Goblet, yeah, they're not that good IMO, just not impressive compared to the (upscaled) DVDs which is my only basis of comparison.

4. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

Craig, back up here.
    I said that Half Blood Prince was the worst (barely visisble on sd and brighter, but bad picture and color on the Blu Ray.

I was hoping the blu rays would solve a lot of my HP Vid problems, but not so.

5. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    ^ That's why I said "kind of agree". I had no problem with Half-Blood, and in fact I used it once to show off the "superiority" of the black capability of my Pio display. I can easily believe it would look a mess with, say, a rather cheap LCD display (which I also have, but never tried it). Just saying, so don't flame me for that...there is a massive difference between displays, and thus what people will report, especially with dark movies.

How about if I just say that Goblet is the border between unacceptable and acceptable HP BDs for me in my system (I have the original BDs of the titles). I expect the next BD iterations will be better, since for me it's the earlier BD transfers that suck the most.

6. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    I imagine the first four movies used their old HD masters from when they were first mastered for home video. Probably why GOF looks good, because it's the newest of that set. They suffer from what most early Warner BDs suffer from: softness and low bitrates. Otherwise, they look about how they always did look on home video, just with improved resolution. The first film always had an orangey tinge to the great hall scenes on home video, and generally looked unimpressive to me. Order of the Phoenix was the first one to get a day and date Blu-ray release, but it was still early in the format's life.

The look of the movies and their darkness have always been criticized since the third film, which really pushed the look of the movie to somewhat downcast and foggy. I think GOF generally abandoned that look, but the last two have only gotten darker and darker. The last film (Half-Blood Prince) in particular has a very dark look to it that was accurately transferred to Blu.