What's new

Harry Potter: Goblet Of Fire, Which Version? (1 Viewer)

RogerH

Supporting Actor
I think if I can find the 2 disc for a decent price I'll get it if not I'll have to settle for the 1 disc.

Matthew Clayton

Stunt Coordinator
The 2-disc edition for me. I don't like this policy the studios are pulling with the single and double-disc simultaneous release either, but it forces people who prefer pan-n-scan to buy the widescreen-only 2-disc version in order to get all the extras. Plus, I like continuity with all of my Harry Potter DVDs.

Plus, aside from being a single-disc edition the first disc is barebones - just "play movie", "scene selection" and "languages" options. Not even the theatrical trailer is included.

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz

Continuity was thrown out when they went to a keepcase for Vol. 3. Having two digipaks next to two keepcases would probably look more consistant than two digis, a keepcase, then another digi anyway, right? (Unless you mean the number of discs per set, which is understandable.)

Matthew Clayton

Stunt Coordinator
I meant the latter, yes. But the 2-disc edition is not a digipak, it is just a 2-disc Amaray case with a silver foil embossed slipcover. (See DVD Empire if you don't believe me.)

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
I'll rent it, then wait five years for the Ultimate Harry Potter boxset, with extended cuts and commentaries on each movie, a retrospective on the series' cultural impact, a biography of J.K. Rowling, and a feature-length documentary on each film.

Nathan A

Second Unit
I'm boycotting this one. I have the previous three, all of which were released as 2-disc SEs only. Why should I pay more for the same amount of product this time around? Or pay the same amount for less product?

And if I rememeber correctly, wasn't at least one of the previous three available for $9.99 when it was released? Regardless, I know I paid $14.99 or less for each of them. Please studios, stop trying to squeeze money out of us in this way! If they'd just do it like they did with the first three, I'd buy it. It's that simple.

If no one purchased these overpriced sets, they'd stop releasing movies this way. Please consider this before buying this movie.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Unless it was some special Toys R Us or Walmart thing I've never seen these offered at 9.99 on release day.

14.99 is likely the lowest you'll see the one disc, possibly 13.87 or so if Walmart is feeling competitive.

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
Matthew,

I was under the impression the 2-disc was a digipak, based on art I had seen earlier. So uh, never mind that last part!

(and $26.95 at DVDempire? Do people really pay that much?)

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
I'm suprised there is such a price difference between the two sets... at work, our video rental distributor is listing a $.69 difference between the two: $20.99 versus $21.68. I think it's more likely that it's the single disc version that's been discounted, rather than the two-disc one marked up. I imagine it's because retailers are getting bigger discounts on their orders for millions of single-disc copies versus a handful of double-discers.

Just a theory.

Chris Minogue

Stunt Coordinator
I'm pretty sure CompUSA did one of their "prices so low we must be CRAZY" dealies for Chamber of Secrets the day it came out. Around $9.99. They used to do that once in a while on big releases. I haven't seen them do that for any title in years though.

RogerH

Supporting Actor
I just hope the 2 disc holographic at Future Shop is not bilingual (something like Future Shop version of Batman Begins).

PerryD

Supporting Actor
Paying a $5 premium for the 2-disc is that much harder knowing that this movie has already been announced for HD-DVD and I believe Blu-Ray also. As much as I love to have the definitive version of this movie, I may just pick up the single disc version this time.

Matthew Clayton

Stunt Coordinator

If you looked at the back art, you can clearly see that it's just a slipcover (the square hole lets us see the UPC symbol on the actual DVD cover).

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I just looked up Harry Potter 2 and Harry Potter 3, and according to what I paid from Amazon, this latest release is only $2 more (for the 2 disc version) than the last 2 versions.

Not much to bitch about.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yeah I've said that before the studios are basically charging us a premium for what they offered with the set before. I'm mainly concerned with the Feature so I'll probably go with the single disk

Lane_S

Agent
I'll be getting the 2-disk. Even though the Potter extras are normally pretty soft, I like the idea of consistency with the other films by having the two diskers across the shelf. Also - I'll bet that by the time the next Potter film hits the DVD market, the single disk version will be the only choice for people who don't buy it now.

I too hate what I see as price gouging for those of us who want the full package. To me, a $2-3 step up for the second disk is fair, but $14.99 single vs. $22.99 double is nothing more than a profit game. They've made more money on me for Batman begins, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and others, but they've also lost in that my DVD spending is close to half of what it use to be. If I have to pay that much more for a disk I want, I'm much less likely to pick up a second title at the same time that's more of a blind buy (which means I probably won't ever buy it).

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I don't see it as gouging when it's only a few bucks more than previous releases. The single disc being significantly lower shouldn't equate (IMHO).

In other words, I don't see it as $16 more for the 2nd disc...I see it as $2 more than previous editions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks