What's new

Harry Potter: Goblet Of Fire, Which Version? (1 Viewer)

RogerH

Supporting Actor
Which version are you guys getting?

I'd like to get the 2-disc but at this point I'm unsure as I only watch the extras once. Plus I see some very good deals on the single disc version but it seems like the 2 disc is only gonna be available at Future Shop around here (according to the flyers and it looks to be in limited supply anyway).

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
Single disc. The extras look like a waste of time and based on Colin's review at DVDMG, they don't look like they're worth the extra bucks. I like the single disc art better, too.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The single-disc version seems to be discounted more heavily than the two-disc version. For example, Amazon is selling the single disc for $15.98 and the two-disc version for $21.99. Personally, I'm buying the single disc version. The extras are not worth the $5 - $6 extra cost to me.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The two disc just because I am incredibly anal and the other three HP movies I have are two discs.

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor
2 disc for me in spite of the pretty big price differences (especially since the barebones 1 disc is going for the price that all 3 previous Potters 2 disc went for before they figured a way to screw collectors with this new 2 tiered release system). I just can't see the 1 disc on the shelf next to 3 2 disc releases & although a lot of the features are fluff there's enough to sucker me in to buy it. I absolutely loathe the way retailers are charging $8-$10 more for 2 disc sets that only retail for about $2 more. I don't expect to get the second disc for free but it would be nice if they would at least be fair. If they're charged $2 more, maybe add $3 more to the consumer for the SE.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
The only thing I'm sort of interested in seeing as far as features are the deleted scenes. Are they included on the single disc or only the 2 disc version?

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Greg, you changed your location. Are you not one of the Tau'ri anymore?

Single Disc for me. I hardly ever watch extra features, deleted scenes once, that's about it.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I still am, but not having my real location caused me to be left out in another thread when someone was naming locations. That's too long a story to get into here, though. :)

Chris Minogue

Stunt Coordinator
Neither. I am so annoyed that they recorded a commentary and then decided not to include it that I'm going to wait until Target sells it for $7 in a year or so.

I'm like a child who has been told the trip to the candy store has been cancelled. Had I never been told we were going to the candy store, I would not miss it. But since I was told and it was cancelled - I am throwing a huge fit about it.

:D

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
If I can find them for a similar price ($1-$2 difference), I'll get the 2-disc set. But I'm guessing I won't, so I'll be getting the 1-disc set instead. Normally I'd consider the 2-disc set, but the bonus material on the Potter movies has always been weak for my tastes.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I'm thinking I'll go for the single disc version and maybe rent the bonus disc from netflix.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
Actually, the extras are pretty decent. They have a 30 minute interview with the three leads which is quite good...not your standard fair. During one question, Radcliffe basically comes out and says he has a serious thing for Natalie Portman and Scarlett Johannson. Quite funny when it happens. Plus, Emma is just so damn cute in the interview.

The Voldemort featurette is nice. The behind the scenes moments watching Ralph Fiennes perform as Voldemort is pretty interesting. The work on the look is the best part of the featurette. The deleted scenes are okay, but the last two deleted scenes are quite good and should've stayed in the film. The "Reflections on the Fourth Film" featurette is really nice. It's basically a mini-home movie intercut with interviews from all the students/actors about their time on the four Potter films, and specifically this one. You get a real interesting inside look at what it's like for the kids doing the films and what they've learned.

None of this is mind blowing but it's the best set of extras so far for the Potter DVDs.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The real question is, will ANY version be safe to buy after the last movie had the flashing number? If anything like that turns up on this movie I'll just do without it.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
The second to last deleted scene features Ron, Harry, and Hermione in the Common Room discussing the death of Barty Crouch. Hermione specifically states to Harry that the events going on around the tournament are bigger than the tournament and that "surviving the tournament isn't the answer anymore."

The scene is like many of the scenes in the first two films where the Trio discuss an important event that just happen and they try to solve it. The real reason the scene should've been in is because it falls right in between when Harry finds Crouch and when he goes to Dumbledore's office. It just gives the event of his death a bit of room to breathe.

The last deleted scene is again a short scene but another one of the breathing scenes. The Trio is walking outside and Harry's scar is prickling. He states, "Someone's coming closer, I can feel it." They discuss why Snape would accuse Harry of making Polyjuice potion again. Again, the scene takes place after Snape lectures Harry about the ingredients of the potion and the beginning of the third task. Nothing spectacular but it helps with making it seem that time has actually passed on between the second and third task.

The other deleted scenes are okay but not as important as these two, in my opinion.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
What's the story on the "flashing number" in the prior DVD? (The thread I found that discusses it has a now-dead link to the specifics.)

I was going to just buy this (the kids are salivating, and I thought it was the best so far), but if the flashing issue was intentional by the studio I'll wait for the reviews. (And oh yeah, I'd buy the 2-disk.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks