What's new

Harry Potter COS glitch (1 Viewer)

Marcelo T

Stunt Coordinator
I´m from brazil (region 4) and warner is making us the favor of only releasing in fullscreen. I´ll have to import mine from the USA :angry:

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I didn't particularly like the sound. It had some muffled and distorted dialog in some parts, and in others it was fine.

However, the 384 kilobits/sec DD track did sound a bit flat, like the dynamic range and imaging had been sucked right out of the soundtrack. I have other discs that sound MUCH, MUCH better than this one.

Too bad WB can't give us a proper DTS encoding instead of low, low bitrate DD all the time!

Dan

Dennis_EU

Auditioning
@Marcelo T

I am very grateful to Warner as well. Because here in Germany where I live you can only buy HP2 in a cut version.

Marcelo T

Stunt Coordinator
I see the pattern that happens down here: If a DVD from Warner's and Columbia is released in both full and wide in the USA, it´ll be released in full here, if it´s only released in wide in the USA, then it´ll be released in wide here. :angry:
Spider man, Harry potter 1, XXX, and many more are only full here. They alleged as reason for the full releases to a "consumer survey" that shown that 60% of the people here prefers to watch in full.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
to a "consumer survey" that shown that 60% of the people here prefers to watch in full.
And apparently they're perfectly willing to spit on the 40% of you that prefer otherwise. Sad how companies are so willing to cater to the slim majority, yet have nothing but contempt for their other customers.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Works fine on my Pan-61 (I think that's the number, the silver one that's progressive scan).

Ryan Wong

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you greg_t, Dan Hitchman and Malcolm R. I finally got the answer from you and I think I will have to keep my region 3 version.

It sounded truely flat and compressed compared to 448kbps DVDs. Maybe because the movie is too long, or maybe they have used superbit rate for the optimized picture quality.:b

It will be great if Warner was considering come out with extended edition with DTS, and split the movie into half, like Lord of the Ring.

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
Played fine on my Sony S360.

And me too I'm dissapointed in Warner going back to 384kbps. Greek Wedding was in 384 too but that one I didn't mind since it's not really sound heavy but HP, that is different. Someone has to tell them to go back to 448kbps. There may be few but there ARE people who can tell the difference.

The bass was fine, that giant serpent got me worried about neighbors complaining (Yeah, sunday afternoon, they have no right to complain!) but the surround effects was a little lacking compared to the first one. Sure the Quidditch game sounded cool and so did the scene with the pixies but the one from the 1st movie has been used to demo my system while I don't feel like doing that with the 2nd movie.

Also I must say I'm grateful that this time around, the foolscreen version has a banner on the top stating that it is in fact the wrong version.

Brian E

Screenwriter
Started pixelating in chapter 6 on my Panny A310. Worked fine in the Toshiba 1200 I gave my parents a few years ago. Guessing my player is the problem, I just hope the pickup isn't going out like it did before.

YANG

Screenwriter
RYAN,
HARRY POTTER is a WARNER title all over the world,you will not be able to see any DTS release since WARNER had dropped out of DTS support.
You may still see that there are some DTS titles distributed by WARNER,but do take note that the DTS movies that you see are mastered by MORGAN CREEK(TRUE ROMANCE and AMERICAN OUTLAWS for example...).

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Hmmm.

I just tried the widescreen edition on my Panasonic DVD-S35K and except for a 0.25 second pause during the layer change I didn't see any video breakup problems. I'm stumped about your problem. :confused:

Sounds like you may want to report to this Warner Home Video and see if they have knowledge of this problem.

Barry A

Grip
Toshiba 4700

The first time I played it, mine froze up during the scene where they're brewing the potion in the bathroom and Moaning Myrtle appears the first time. Right before the Wizards Duel. Anyway, pulled the disk, wiped it off, played fine afterwards.

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
I had no problems on my Sony DVP 550, and I too don't recall seeing any layer switch.
I did notice at the ending of the credits that the film was encoded in DTS ES for the cinema.

Other studios are including the mix on their dvds, it's a shame Warner thinks it unnecessary on their releases.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Played fine on my meager Pioneer DV-333.

I did notice the poorly placed layer change... a few seconds earlier or later would have been better.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Played fine on my Pioneer 414. Great video but really agree on this quote:

Dan Hitchman stated:
I didn't particularly like the sound. It had some muffled and distorted dialog in some parts, and in others it was fine.

However, the 384 kilobits/sec DD track did sound a bit flat, like the dynamic range and imaging had been sucked right out of the soundtrack. I have other discs that sound MUCH, MUCH better than this one."

Sorcerer's Stone's track is much more "alive" sounding and open. This one sounded very flat and the scene where Ron & Harry take the car the first time, the music really gets lost...

To me COS, while a good film, suffers some due to it's unnecessary length and some scenes just don't work as well. A more alive and sparkling audio track might have helped liven it up?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks