What's new

Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire..Reviews (1 Viewer)

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
I felt the same way about Cedric. How is a non-book reading viewer supposed to even like the guy? He's fairly non-existent and his interactions with harry occur perhaps twice?

The line about what's right and easy is definitely in the movie, dumbledore says it in his chambers

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
:star::star::star::star:

Astonishing adaptation. The midnight screening at Grauman's Chinese was a magnificent experience. But the clever and brilliant adaptation was just magnificent to behold. It really tightened up and focused a lot of wandering plot lines and drew the characters more clearly at tightly together in the book. My biggest complaint is the lack of a few Harry training scenes of working up to the tasks, the movies have never really complained that magic is hard work. I especially would have liked to see the accio training scene and the resistence to the imperious curse scene but neither were absolutely necessary. There are no crippling flaws to this film, like the lack of explanation for the Marauder's map, and instead of hacking out essential information in the climax piecemeal, as Azkaban did, this film adds dark and compelling new information to the climax making it more effective and more powerful.

In many ways I think the film is better than the book, Daniel Radcliffe's performance is much more sophisticated here than in previous films, Ron is more under control Emily Watson is about at her previous level but seems to flounder in a handful of scenes. The yule ball was expertly handled to induce painful groans of reminescence but the film briskly moves on to the grace of Albus and Minerva dancing. The fine balance of this film is just outstanding.

The transformation of Voldemort was one of the best things of the film. Though I'd have liked it played a little more intensely, a hair slower and maybe a close up or two dropped in.

I think the first task was a bit bulky (and I'd rather see a chinese dragon) with the chase scene an obviously overdone set piece. I'd have liked to see it stay around the arena with Harry actually using his flying and snitch catching skills and outwitting the dragon rather than just evasive running away.

The second task was perfectly handled. I especially like how they brought Neville into the fold beautifully in this film, touching on his character several times and drawing him, more than anyone else, into Potter's network of friends. Great work on his character. It's definitely more effective with him having Gillyweed than Dobby labouriously getting it to invisible harry via an overheard deliberate moody conversation. The lack of Dobby and Whiny (or whatever her name was) and the houseelves and SPEW in general was a major relief. The lack of the Rita Skeeter subplot was very well done.

The chemistry between the leads was top notch, their interaction together surpasses their individual acting abilities. Kudos to Mike Newell for his excellent work with all the acting.

Moody absolutely owns in this film, his first lesson is utterly perfect.

Newell chose to make Snape silent for one scene and it made him better than ever. Great work with Snape in general, and I especially like the ambiguous visual foreshadowing done with his character for future events.

The transition from the End of the second task to Barty Crouch Sr to the walk in the woods to the pensieve to talking to dumbledore and clearly connecting Barty Crouch Jr was beautifully handled elegantly--this to me is the particularly outstanding adaptive work.

The bath scene was outstanding, Cedric's character is so completely and vastly improved that you actually care when the climax occurs, unlike the book where it surprised but barely bothered me since he was barely in the book at all.

The third task was problematic, they made it more visual but it's also kind of confusing and it's over easily. It's the most repetitive and cerebral of the tasks, so it's nice when its finally over since it's difficult to make it effective on film. They did a good job here.

Everything from the end of the third task onward was pretty much perfection. a wee bit cheesy at times, but just outstandingly well done.

I think the film could have used another two minutes of breathing time of just a few quiet scenes of ma that get the time passing, but again its not essential, but a chance to breathe and mull over events would be welcome.

Trimmed of all fat, focused, clear, emotional and bringing in several powerful themes this is the best Harry Potter film yet.

Sorcerer's Stone - :star::star::star:
Chamber of Secrets - :star::star::star:
Azkaban - :star::star::star:1/2
Goblet of Fire - :star::star::star::star:

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Can't show as much love to the film version of my second favorite book in the series. The movie is a collection of great scenes and sequences, but it never coalesces into a coherent experience for me. Very little time is spent on anything except set-up or payoff. No time with Hogwarts, no time in the classroom, no time with Snape or Hagrid, no major time with the three leads (apart from a few cursory scenes). It doesn't feel like there is a through story, not until the last few minutes, and even that is rushed. I can only imagine the challenge of the adaptation of such a large and dence novel, and there are NUMEROUS times where GoF soars.

Sounds bad? It's not. It's a well-made, very solid film. I certainly recommend it, and look forward to seeing it again. I agree with Mark that the absence of making Diggory a real character hurts the finale somewhat. The ending of the novel GoF is still the best sustained set of scenes in the entire 6 book series (to date). The film sort of gets them right, but it moves so fast that the audience can't really dig into them. As a note, I haven't read the book in years, so my beef isn't with missing scenes or lines or subplots, just the overall feel of the film. It just felt like major subplots become one scene and resolved.

But there is a lot to like, including a few absolutely great scenes, excellent acting from the leads, extremely good direction and cinematography, and a good score. I enjoyed Hogwarts (the location) almost as much as in PoA. I look forward to discussing the film. What I wrote feels far too negative, but chalk that up to high expectations. It's still a good movie, and some will probably love it. And I agree with Adam that there were a few GREAT character moments, especially for Neville (and a great one of Snape at the end).

I liked it a lot, but felt a little let down.

7.5/10

It'll get a second viewing, though.

Take care,
Chuck

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
Just got back from seeing this movie. I was extremely disappointed. I sort of got the feeling that Mike Newell hadn't even bothered to read the books. He completley missed the whole point of this book. They left the whole Barty Crouch Sr. thing unresolved and just passed over so much that really was important to the story.

I realize it was a 2 hour moive, but maybe they should have made it a two parter to really do the story justice. There was no continuity at all to this film and the ending was just so anticlimatic. What a HUGE let down.

I definitely will not bother to see this film again.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I agree with elements of all 3 of these reviews. Chuck is probably closest to how I felt. I was trying to really skirt around possible spoilers until more people saw it so his writing isn't as awkward as mine.

Somewhat amsuing that Adam and I agee in multiple specific instances (Neville, editing that lets scenes breathe instead of immediate cuts, 3rd task problems, magic being hard work) and yet he's raving about the film while I'm more downbeat.

I have to really disagree with Simon on Michael Gambon. I don't think he, Kloves, or Newell "gets" Dumbledore at all. Gambon plays him as almost menacing in a couple of scenes and he almost never comes off as the understanding, benevolent, and yet immensely powerful figure of the books. You'd never know from the movie that he's the greatest wizard of the age.

Not sure if I'll see this again theatrically or not. My wife and I are still debating whether our kids are too young to see it.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I hope I didn't spoil anything for anybody. Not that Brook was saying I did, but I'd be very upset if there is any chance I did. I tried to be fairly generic, though book readers will get my drift. I'd never intentionally spoil any details for anybody, hence my wishy-washy comments. If anyone thinks so, don't hold back. I have an edit button, and I'm not afraid to use it :)

I'm sure there will be a deluge of reviews by tomorrow, and we'll get a better feel for the consensus :)

Take care,
Chuck

Brenda M

Stunt Coordinator
I have mixed feelings about the movie too. Missing scenes and the extended (chase) or added (dance lesson, tongue) things bothered me. The movie didn't flow as well as the last. The music didn't add as much, and the ending just wasn't right.

He who must not be named was very scary.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I found the film uneven, and the direction simply uninspiring. I really missed Cuaron's direction in the 4th HP film. In terms of character interaction, Cuaron creates cinema, Newell creates made-for-afternoon TV material. I also thought that this film just lacked scope and depth, I blame that on the screenplay and the director.

Ron is almost overboard as the whiney jealous guy, and Hermione doesn't show much character growth from the previous films. Harry continues to be such an improbably passive character, it can be daunting at times because I never get the feeling that Harry is anything more than a plot device to get us from the 3rd film to the 5th film with this 4th installment of the HP franchise.

Also, for a film that covers the school year, it seems so grey and dank throughout the year-long 3-phase contest for a place in Hogsworth history.

Just one trivial nitpick - why does Harry keep his glasses on underwater?

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.

(P.S. I've never read the books, so I look at the HP films simply in terms of cinematic adaptations with no literary baggage, just previous film baggage)

Jonathan T.

Stunt Coordinator
Divorce myself from the book? That's why I try to always see the movie first ;-)

Like with Lord of the Rings. I never read it until after seeing The Fellowship of the Ring and couldnt wait a whole year to find out what happened next. Which is probably why to this day I still think Peter Jackson and team actually improved upon the book in a number of ways (namely, Tolkien had TOO many characters that only appear for a short time, and Jackson was wise to merge certain characters together).

Generally though I enjoy movies as long as they dont make MAJOR chnages to the story. That's why Jurrasic Park is a great movie adaption to a book, and The Lost World is a piece of trash.

Oh and I am seeing HP tonight, so I will be back with my thoughts. They will be untainted thoughts on this movie only as I have not seen the others, nor read any of the books. What I think of this movie will determine is I ever read the books or see the other flicks.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey

I guess I just see it differently in the film because thats how Gambon comes across to me, at least in this version. I certainly never saw him as menacing, at least not to Harry anyway. Gambon does seem to have included something in his portrayal that I thought Harris never did - that of an authoritative headmaster of a boarding school. Thats my take on it anyway.

Shad R

Supporting Actor
Here is my question...
If the whole story was an elaborate set-up to get harry to grab the key portal, why didn't he just replace Harry's Juice as the portal, or do it while Harry was sleeping, or at any other time he could have switched something that Harry has to grab eventually! Am I the only one who asks this?

That being said, it was a GREAT movie! More danger involved than previous movies. I liked the darker nature, the humor, the very real emotions at the end.
wow. I'm impressed.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
One of the best movie-going experiences I have ever had. Emma Watson was glowing, Rupert Grint nails the character of Ron, and Daniel IS Harry Potter. The film was pure emotional, wonderful magic. I was so sad to see the guests leave Hogwarts at the finale.

Story: A
Editing: A
Cinematography: A
Acting: A
Special Effects: A
Score: A-

Final Score: A

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Just saw it. It was very good. The humor of the Ron's twin brothers were great. Definitely not for the little kids. One question..since I haven't read the book yet.

When Harry gets back. They seemed to have not even brought up that Harry saw Lucius Malfor and Crabbe & Goyle's dads. I would think that would be a big thing to mention.

PS-I am not sure if this was mentioned earlier in the thread. But, in a very recent interview with Daniel Radcliff (Harry). He said he WOULD do all of the movies. I know people were wondering if he would want to do them all.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Another quick question for the book readers. Was Diggory ever mentioned in the first 3 books? He almost seemed like the Oliver Wood character from the other movies.

todd stone

Screenwriter
most people i heard walking out of the theater today said they ending was just...... anti-clamatic and bland. Seems the director really missed the cue on that

:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: for the ending

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: for the rest of the movie

Jonathan T.

Stunt Coordinator
just saw the movie. as my intorduction to harry potter i have this to say.

it was good. however it certainly wasnt anything more than that. Lord of the rings this is not. there was lots of hooting and hollaring and cheering and clapping during the movie, and i just didnt get it.

I think the entire harry potter thing is WAY WAY overhyped, and i found this story to be amateaurish. not the scripting, or the directing of the film,. but the actual story is amateurish, and I dont think JK Rowling deserves nearly the level of praise she has gotten. Unlike Lord of the Rings which was marevelously cohesive story, Harry Potter seems to consist of one rather contrived "filler" event after another.

That said, I did enjoy the movie enough that I do desire to read the books and see the other movies. But i WILL NEVER understand the hype.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks