What's new

Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire..Reviews (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
I don't think John Williams particularly looked forward to Harry Potter at the end of every year. He did his themes and let someone else run with em.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Why's that? I haven't heard previously that Williams was unhappy doing these scores. I assumed he passed on this one since he was doing TWo Spielberg films this year.

James Ryfun

Stunt Coordinator
So far the buzz on this film has been fairly positive. I've been looking forward to this film all year, so that's good news to my ears. (Or...eyes, actually.) I finally got around to reading the books this year, and Goblet of Fire was by far my favorite, so I'm really interested to see how well they've adapted it to film. I realize some sacrifices were undoubtedly made, as this was one of the longer Potter books, but hopefully the script captures the essence of the original story without dropping some of the main story's themes; a problem I had with Prizoner of Azkaban.

Anyways, really looking forward to it. Should be a fun ride.

Mark E J

Second Unit

Well, one main theme has been removed; (atleast according to reports from the test screening.) the entire "Parting of the Ways" chapter is not in the movie. Nor is pivitol line heard in the first trailer: "Dark and diffcult times lie ahead; soon we must all make the choice between what is right and what is easy."

These scenes were not in the cut shown to test audiences.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
The world cup cue sounds great, along with titular cue.
however, it sounds like a rip-off of POTCaribbean.

I like the trailer.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Same here. His Prisoner of Azkaban score was clearly not one composed on auto-pilot.
I've dug what I've heard from Doyle's score. Probably going to see this a week from Wednesday, when I'm back in Albany for Thanksgiving.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
How about this little snippet from the Variety review:

:eek:

Ben J Loews

Stunt Coordinator
I thought the effects in the first film were pretty low budget, but after it was a success, I guess Warner threw more money behind the sequel(s) as they look far more polished.

Jim Smith

Stunt Coordinator
I am a bit concerned about the length. In my opinion the movie has got to be over three hours to get the books content right. I think Prisoner of Azkaban would have been so much better if it had been at least 20 minutes longer. The second movie was longer then Goblet of fire for a shorter book.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I still think the Potter movies should do what the LOTR movies do. Release a theatrical cut. Then release an extended version with an extra 15-45 minutes of footage.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
The wind's already out of my sails. I was really excited about this, but hearing that it doesn't include "The Parting of the Ways", only the book's most powerful dramatic scene that reveals a far more complex Potter universe, and one that provides the entire setup for Order of the Phoenix. A disheartening decision to say the least.

I would like to be able to evaluate the film as the film, but I know I'll be missing that scene.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Okay, I'm not a professional reviewer or anything, but I *am* a HUGE Harry Potter geek, and I managed got into an advance screening of this yesterday. So I wrote up a review on my blog (which is sometimes printed in my school newspaper); I usually review arthouse films there that nobody in my school has seen, but how could I resist doing an advance review of Harry Potter?

If anybody would like to read it, my blog is at http://arthouse.diaryland.com - as it is the newest entry, the Goblet review should be on the front page for a while; if it's not there when you visit, just click on the "older entries" link and you'll find it.

It gives a general plot synopsis plus thoughts, but no more than you would find in a trailer or TV spot (and, having seen the trailers and TV spots myself, I think in this case considerably less.) I tried to be as detailed as possible while remaining SPOILER FREE so that everyone can remain surprised (though if there is a specific question anybody has, I'd be glad to answer them in a spoiler block.)

Bottom line though? - it is extremely cut down, but miracle of miracles, it works and is the BEST movie of the series so far by far. The book has been done justice.

(Oh, and John Williams bowed out of this a long time ago because he decided to score Memoirs of a Geisha instead.)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm not entirely sure what you mean, could you elaborate a little?

There isn't really much of the World Cup at all. You see them in the stands before the match, and the teams enter with fanfare. Fudge then welcomes everyone to the game, says "Let the match begin!", and then it cuts to after the match has concluded in the tent, when the Death Eaters begin to make their presence known. So, we do NOT actulally see the Quidditch match itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks