What's new

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7) SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! (1 Viewer)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
And there were tons of other character details she's revealed post-release (who married whom, who ended up where, etc.) While Dumbledore's sexuality is probably the biggest such detail, the fact is, she's been revealing info for a while now. No "stunts" at work.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

Not only that, but I think she really only mentioned it because of what was said about the next film and how they had written in a bit about Dumbledore's ex-girlfriend or some such matter. Had that not happened she may have been perfectly content to let it go unsaid.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

Yeah, she needs that.

She was at a Q&A with fans, someone asked about Dumbledore's love life, and she answered. She also revealed that Neville married Hannah Abbot, and Madam Maxine dumped Hagrid because he's an uncultured oaf. Why is the Dumbledore revelation any more noteworthy than the other two?

And even if you find the idea of Dumbledore liking dudes disgusting, is this really worse than all the stuff about his brother and goats?

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
After re-reading it again - it looks like two young wizards who were trying to change society by becoming more powerful, and eventually getting rid of all the muggles. There was some sort of fight, and his sister gets killed. He then avoids the other person until he cannot do so anymore, and defeats him in a dual - and also changes his mind about getting rid of all the muggles.

Nothing about an un-returned love interest between the two of any kind.

Again, if she wanted to state that their was in the book, she should have - but for some reason this is not in the book, and it is not important to the story anyway. Maybe it was in the story, and some editor removed it (I don't know...)

She has ended the series - and had a flashback chapter at the end of book 7 where we find out much (But not all) what happens with some of the characters.

As far as I know, there are no plans for any prequels or sequels.

She could of expanded on what happened with Harry's parents or what happened with the Dumbledore story. She could have explained why none of the teachers are married.

What's in the books are in the books, and the rest is speculation.

Also, what shows up in print from a book signing may be different then the facts. What if she was joking around about this fact (said so with a laugh, or with sarcasm?) - and was written as fact by someone with an agenda.....

I don't know, I wasn't there.

I point out the fact it doesn’t add anything to the book, and there is a backlash of words in my mouth. “And even if you find the idea of Dumbledore liking dudes disgusting” Where did I say that? Assuming a bias is having a bias yourself.

The story about him having a girlfriend is also not in the book, so why would it show up in a script all of a sudden? There is so much that has to be removed just to fit it into a movie length, why are they writing in new characters?

Chris

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, I agree.. this is the part I found troubling.. why write new stuff for the movie when they can't cram in what's there? I mean, the idea of Dumbledore as a somewhat mysterious character works really well in the film..

Oh god, I'm going to do it.. Highlander. Highlander (the original) had a brilliant moment in which Connery said "what does it matter, it just is" and it was great filmmaking. Who cared, we just wanted to see what was next and we had already bought into the concept. And then, with all the sequels, they continued to screw that simple message up by trying to create backstory that could never fulfill audience potential and that, honestly, flat out sucked.

So, why would filmmakers of a really good series decide they need to write unauthorized backstory to flesh out a character that we're happy with as is?

Nothing about Rowling, though that was the bit that made me worry some about the future films.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I started re-reading this book after seeing the movie for Part 1. I think I loved it even more this time than I did the first time around, since I could enjoy it free of the melancholy feeling of the last ever new Potter book. It's a book I'll be returning to ever few years, like I do with the other greats. For all of Rowling's flaws and shortcomings, I don't think I've read a more complete meditation on love in all its colors, manifestations and complexities. In all the great myths, the decent hero triumphs over the ignoble villain. This may be the only one where the hero triumphs over the villain because he's decent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks