What's new

Harmon Kardon Signature Series 2.0 (1 Viewer)

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
Anyone familiar with this pre-pro? I know it's an older model, but my local shop has a used one and I'm thinking it might be a good, but inexpensive upgrade over the Yamaha RX-V596 receiver I'm using as a pre-pro right now. I don't need video any switching.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
Hi Tim,

I appreciate any info you can provide.

I understand there was a bass management problem with some older firmware versions? Do you know what firmware version takes care of that probelm? Also, I understand there was a chip upgrade available at one time. Was that to add DTS or was it for something else? This unit has DTS, so that would mean it has the chip upgrade installed?

Are there any issues with set-up or speaker configuration I should be aware of? What crossover and speaker distance/level settings are available? Do you know if the 6 channel analog input is passed thru in analog, or is it digitzed?

Thanks! :)

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Let's see how much of this I can remember...

The chip and subsequent firmware upgrade (Ver. 2.10 I believe) did add DTS and correct the bass management problem. If the particular unit does already sport DTS decoding, it's in good shape.

There is no variable crossover in the unit, and the crossover is set at 100Hz. There are proper speaker level/distance adjustments in the unit, plus a nifty two-axis balance control that I've never used.

I believe the 6-ch input is direct analog. The manual doesn't really explain either way, but since DSP modes aren't available you'll understand my conclusion. One thing that's very handy is the separate subwoofer trim control for the 6-ch input. If you have a hi-rez player with the 10db sub dropoff, this is a good way to compensate.

Speaking of setup issues, these units were known to spazz out on occasion software-wise. Mine has frozen when playing with the 2-axis balance, but simply cycling the unit off and on solved that problem. I think the problem has been blown a little out of proportion personally...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation615
Recent bookmarks