What's new

Harmon Kardon 525 vs 230 (1 Viewer)

Rex.G

Stunt Coordinator
I am in the market for a new receiver and have decided on HK. I have around 500 and was looking at a refurb 525 or a new 230. Anybody have some thoughts or suggestions? any input would be welcomed.

Thnx

ChadLB

Screenwriter
You could also add the 325 to your list. I think most people would tell you to pick up the 325 or 525 reburbs over the 230.
I am going to try and check out the 230 and if I like it I might get a 325 to use for the next year or so. Who know maybe I will like the 230 then I can buy a reburb for a cheap price.

ChrisYK

Stunt Coordinator
Love my 525 too...
Make sure you read about the audio drop-out "issue" with the H/K receivers and make sure it's not going to bother you.
Also, I don't think you need to "settle" for a refurb for $500. I got a new one for a little more than $400 off of eBay. :emoji_thumbsup:

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

So true. When I owned my H/K AVR-7200, the drop-out issue really didn't bother me ... until, I purchased a Yamaha receiver - which doesn't have such issues. After seeing the Yamaha in action, I realize that the H/K was bothersome in that regard.

I really wish H/K would have a "fix" for that issue because they do make a good product.

Matt Lee

Agent
I'm planning on buying a 525 myself (probably refurb, unless I can find a new one cheaper) but I haven't heard about this audio drop-out issue. I just did about 15 different searches for it and I can't find any posts other than this one and one other, which only mentions it. So could someone briefly describe the drop-out "issue?"

Douglas Pe

Grip
It drops out for a couple of seconds when changing sound modes, such as dolby digital or dts, like at the beginning of movies. So if you want to impress people with a THX trailer or something to that effect it cuts a little out. It's not really that big a deal to me but I can see how it can bother people.

ChrisYK

Stunt Coordinator

Other than H/K (and now Kenwoods), I haven't heard of any other brands where this is a problem.

Like others have said, it's a minor annoyance (to me at least) and the quality of my H/K AVR 525 far surpasses any qualms I have about the 1-2 second drop-out of audio when the movie studio/THX/DTS splash screen begins at the very start of the movie. However, this may be a big issue to some.

Jason Brent

Second Unit
The audio drop out issue is a little bothersome. For me anyway, I thoroughly enjoy the THX intros. I regularly find myself trying to pause the DVD player to give the HK the chance to 'catch up'

Also, I notice that with Digital Video essentials, the small pause between tracks sometimes causes the HK to 'lose track' of what signal it's on. Kind of a problem when you're doing frequency sweeps, and the first octave is left off because the HK doesn't know what to do with it:frowning:

My only other gripe with the HK is the noisy freakin fan! I really don't like that thing. Mine is on a completely open A/V rack/stand, too.

I love the sound out of it, though. Sound's nice with my Paradigm Studio's. I have been contemplating selling it to go with a different receiver, though...

ChrisYK

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe I haven't pushed my 525 hard enough to have the fan come on, but I haven't even noticed it yet. It probably also helps that my receiver is on top of my AV stand so it is completely out in the open.

The H/K receivers are known to run hot.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
I agree with Chris, the sound the 525 offers far outweighs the slight inconvenience of the 1-2 second audio dropout. My 525 is completely enclosed with quiet 92mm dual exhaust fans in the rear of my rack. The 525’s exhaust fan comes on occasionally, but for me it’s not an issue.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
I am testing out the HK 230 right now. If I like what it has to offer would it be better to go with a refurb 325 / Parasound HCA855a amp......I only have a 5.1 setup so is there any advantage besides maybe I like the look of the 325 better...

Nathan Bjork

Stunt Coordinator
I have the 230 and am I dont really mind the "drop-out" and I never noticed it untill this post. thanks alot...

Anyways, my AVR never gets to hot, but its in a fairly open area. I really like it so far

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
I like my AVR-225 which is last years model to the 230. Overall I bought the 225 because it was what I needed, with no huge extras. It does a great job, and certainly delivers. The 230 does include component video but doesn't upgrade or downgrade anything to a different output like S-Video or coax. which I don't think the 525 does either? It depends what is in your budget and if you feel comfortable with a refurb. product. I love HK products and my next reciever I buy for myself, or almost anything in terms of recievers will be HK.

Rex.G

Stunt Coordinator
I just want to thank everybody for their input!!! I have decided to go with the 525. The power and features are exactly what I am looking for. Besides, I like its looks better than the new two tone HK. I am gonna search around for a bit, but the 525 is what I want. If anybody sees a good deal please let me know!!

Thanks again!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks