What's new

Harman Signature 2.1 with an HK AVR-500 (1 Viewer)

Girish

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
girish
I recently added a Harman Kardon Signature 2.1 amp to drive the Infinity IL-60, IL-36c, and rear bose speakers. The diiference in sound as compared to my older Kenwood 2 channel amp( 50 wpc) is amazing.
The question is " Is it okay to use all five channels of the amp and use the receiver as processor? Or use one or two channels of the receiver to ease the signature amp.
Also with this setup will buying a pair of infinity IL-40s for the rears be an improvement over the double cubes and the bass module I have now?
I will appreciate the input.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Use what you need where you need it. If you can now bi-amp the fronts you may want to do that (don't know if the IL-60's have double posts). Otherwise I would get full use out of the amp in a 5.1 config. I would also move to the IL-40's and replace the Bose components.

I use an AVR510 for a pre/pro utilizing several different amps and am very happy...don't need more than 5.1 and/or the latest DSP. If you are happy with the 500 (not much older than my series) as a processor stay the course. But most people would likely suggest upgrading the feature set and processing capabilities with a newer model. I know I get that advice all the time...I just never listen to it.

Girish

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
girish
The Il-60s cannot be bi-amped. I am going to replace the bise rears very soon. What features will I gain if I upgrade the reciver? I am using 5.1 channel only.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
For a strict 5.1 system, in terms of DSP it really doesn't matter IMO. Some would say if using Pro Logic for TV viewing etc. it would be considerably better with PLII or PLIIx. As for me, I use both Pro Logic and the truncated Logic 7 available in these units depending on source and am more than satisfied.

PLIIx is the rage and is quite impressive but I can soldier on without it. I suspect you can as well. Receiver upgrades would be more in the areas of calibration and convenience features. Our units are extremely similar with only a few minor differences. If you are satisfied with the 500's processing and have no plans to expand the system to more channels then stick with it.

I confess to being a rather rabid fan of HK and own a houseful of their equipment. I'm sure someday I'll move on into the 21st Century and upgrade these systems, perhaps with something else. But not before I wring the last bit of HK goodness out of them. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks