What's new

Harman Karndon AV1700 (1 Viewer)

gissentml

Auditioning
Real Name
matthew
Hello everyone. This is my first post here. I am reaching out to this forum after several calls to tech support in which I was hung up on. 3 times. A+ service! Lil Anyways. I am getting. BCO Update please wait... On the screen. This message comes up after I turn on the receiver. I can use it for about 15 seconds and then the message shows. No buttons work.

Brainwasher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Luke
What all do you have connected at the time it is doing this? Did you buy this from authorized dealer? Also, does the remote still function when you say the buttons lock up?

gissentml

Auditioning
Real Name
matthew
I bought it from best buy and I only have the one cable coming from the TV to HDMI ARC port. The remote doesn't function

Brainwasher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Luke
Try disconnecting everything, including the power from your wall/surge protector. Give it 30 sec. Restart receiver with nothing connected. See if problem persists. If it still persists, try to access the setup menu and quickly disable network features. I am not familiar with HK menus as I have only dealt with one particular receiver in the past. It had bugs galore. Volume control would stick then ramp way up. I would think about returning it if you try everything and the problem persists. It seems to me like it is using some network functions to try to force a firmware update. Did you walk away for a while and see if it corrects itself?

gissentml

Auditioning
Real Name
matthew
yeah. during the 15 seconds after turning it on. i was able to change the input to TV. I hear sound and evrything but i still have that message. I will try unplugging everything and seeing what happens. I agree it looks like it is trying to update.

russelmiller

Auditioning
Real Name
Russel Miller
I had the same issue with my AVR 1700, and found this forum. I emailed Harman Kardon and they told me to return the receiver to the store. Guess that error means it is borked.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I would return the receiver to the store and get something else, possibly an entry-level Denon, Yamaha, or Pioneer, or see what the store currently has in higher-level open box receivers. The AVR-1700 is an over-priced piece of junk (when sold at or near the msrp of $499), and you have to ask yourself why is a retailer selling it for $300 below (or 60% off) list price?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I had hopes for the 1700...that HK was actually trying to be relevant again. Their 2 channel receivers rock. I bought one of the 1700 to play with it. My god. Even what did work made no sense. (it was on open box at BB for $155, thought I'd see how it worked...next time I'm headed back, I'll return it...wasn't keeping it anyway)

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Sam, if you recall, I was considering this receiver also. I sure am glad I didn't waste my time buying it. I've been following the 1700 thread at Avsforum, and lots of problems reported. My local Best Buy told me they are not even stocking it anymore due to all the returns.

Brainwasher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Luke
My friend bought one on a good deal. It worked well for a while, then the volume mechanism started acting funky. He would turn it up with remote or knob, and there would be a delay, then it would just crank up. Was horrible, he swapped it for an Onkyo

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I received an email from them yesterday announcing their 2700/3700. But the website is a mess and the specs don't always match the receiver :confused: . I do like the 3600 ($399) and 2600 ($299) I saw on their ebay store (with 2 year warranty) but I'm not interested in any of their newer stuff. They're going to have to re-vamp their whole business to be relavent again. What a shame about them. My avr 520 was a work-horse for several years and the 7200 might have been the best receiver I've ever had. Really should have kept that one :( .

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Hard to believe HK is owned by the same parent company as AKG, Infinity, JBL, Mark Levinson, and Revel, to name but a few......
Originally Posted by gene c
I received an email from them yesterday announcing their 2700/3700. But the website is a mess and the specs don't always match the receiver .

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Toddwrtr said:
Hard to believe HK is owned by the same parent company as AKG, Infinity, JBL, Mark Levinson, and Revel, to name but a few......
You know the even sadder part about this(and no not going to give away a lot here)... AVR make money. Speakers make a killing. (that is why "brand new speakers" are the worst purchase you could possibly make) The highest current margin belongs to Yamaha(by a mile). The lowest margin is Sony...and they are still ridiculous. Lets just say, on the "retail brands"...if you saw the "MSRP"(which is a joke) vs "owned cost"...then saw what they paid...you'd cry. TVs are different story. LG, Panny, Samsung(well everybody) is lucky if the manufacturer-wholesale margin is 6%. The whole sale to retail is(at best) 8%. I've seen Toshiba sell for 3% total...manufacturer to retail. As an example of Toshiba...Take a "basic" 46" 120hz model that sells for $642(today on Amazon and you can look for this particular TV yourself). That TV is wholesaled through my prior employer. No joke...it is bought from Toshiba, in the thousands... for $611. They sell it to Amazon(and everybody else) for $627.

gissentml

Auditioning
Real Name
matthew
I took it back and ordered onkyo tx-sr313 for $199 of amazon. So far I like it. I am having some trouble getting all the speakers to work though. Lol. Lucky me.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
"I am having some trouble getting all the speakers to work though" Did you go into set-up and tell it you have "however many" speakers you got?

russelmiller

Auditioning
Real Name
Russel Miller
I returned my unit last night, they had a display model, but didn't want to deal with that. l so I had Best Buy price match Amazon's $250 price on the pioneer 1022 which worked right out of the box.

Users who are viewing this thread