What's new

Hardware for surround sound (1 Viewer)

Goldens

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevan
I own a LG 37CS560 which has no outputs on the TV and was hoping to hook up some type of advanced sound but it seems everything wants me to go from the TV to the audio. I thought of getting a surround sound system but most want an optical digital input, which I don't have. I see that I can get a converter to go from coax cable to optical, but that would just be to the receiver. Would the HDMI output from the receiver pass video signals to the TV or does anyone have a better solution?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
In 99% of home theater, using an actual AVR(receiver)...You couldn't care less what outputs the TV has...unless you use Over The Air(OTA) for some of your broadcast.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
A little more explanation...Your "audio system" is the brains/switching of the operation.Your TV is relegated to being a "dumb display", taking the video(only) from the AVR.

Goldens

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevan
So if I can find an AVR with a coax input, or convert the coax to another format I'm in business?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You missed the point. Your sources are NOT connected to the TV.They are connected to the AVR.The AVR hands the video to the TV...Meaning, it doesn't matter what the TV has/does.As an example of a speaker set that you connect your SOURCES to and it hands off the VIDEO ONLY to the TV...Onkyo HDX22 (don't remember if that is the model number, but it's close)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks