What's new

Hard Drive install question... (1 Viewer)

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Hey Kids, I just bought a new hard drive for my comp. It is a Western Digital 60G model. Anyway, THe hard drive I had before was a generic disc type 47(this is exactly what the system info read). Anyway, there were instruction with the WD as to what jumper settings made the drive a single, master, or slave. Well, I tried using it as a master and a slave but both times it was not recognized and then I realized, hey, I have to change the jumpers on the other drive. So, my question is, where would I find out what the jumpers must be set at to make the older drive a slave to my new WD and will having the older, slower and smaller drive as a slave affect the performance of my new WD?
Right now I have the new WD installed and have installed all of my software and am running that with the other HD just sitting in there taking up space.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Thanks for the link Walter. My only problem is that my system is a Cicero system and they do not list the manufacturer of their components. I guess I'll just sell the thing for a few bucks. It's not like there's any information that I really need that I did not already back up.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
If you have the WD up and running then I would just play around with the jumper setting on the old drive and see how you get on. Try it in a different position, boot and go straight into the BIOS - you should be able to see each drive on the two IDE channels and therefore will be able to tell what position they're in.

Really though, if you want to run both HDs, you may be better off with each being the master drive on different IDE channels. Any disk-to-disk activity is going run a bit faster than if they're both on the same channel.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
your best bet for finding out the hardrive manufacturer is on the hardrive itself. there should be some kind of manufacturer's ID or serial number on it that may be able to give you a lead on to where to go.

I will second having each hardrive on it's own channel. That would save a lot of pain and improve overall performance of the system. if you have CD-rom's you can pick up a inexpensive pci card to give you more IDE channels.

David_N

Stunt Coordinator
The other thing is, if your using an older computer, you may need to check around for a BIOS update. I know when I added a 40GB HDD to my P2 computer, my motherboard didn't reconize it until the BIOS upgrade was run.

Hope this helps,
David N

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Richard, what other IDE devices are you using?
Well, looking inside, there appears to be two IDE channels available. One is connected to the hard drive and the other goes to my CD burner.
My computer has a Pentium P3 1 gig processor. I'm not sure what the motherboard is though.

David, how do you run a BIOS update?

David_N

Stunt Coordinator
First you have to find out what make/model motherboard you have. If you have all your documentation to your PC parts you can find the type there also sometimes it is printed on the board itself in big BOLD LETTERS/NUMBERS(like A7N8X which is one of Asus's boards or D845GEBV2 which is an Intel motherboard).

Then go to the manufacture's website. Look for an update to your board and download it. Run the BIOS Flash according to the instructions provided in the readme or on the website. (Most require you to boot from a floppy)

The following lists links to many motherboard manufactures:
http://www.driverzone.com/bios.html

The following is a link to a motherboard/bios information program:
http://www.motherboards.org/moboidto...?filter=biosid
Click on the BIOS Wizard link and run that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks